Answered

Volume levels too high after 15.2 update

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Good evening,

My system updated to 15.2 today and following this update, all of my speakers’ volumes are easily double what they were before. 

I run one of my Play 1’s at volume 4 at night and have done for years, but volume 4 is now way too loud and even setting it to 1 is very loud. 

I have 2x Play 1’s, 1x Play 3 and the latest Five and it’s the same on all of them. 

I’ve had to set a volume limit of 50% on each speaker but now all of my volume references for me and my family are all over the place which is incredibly annoying. 

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 August 2023, 10:31

View original

170 replies

I have the same problem - removing and re-adding Apple Music hasn’t helped, nor has changing the maximum volume limit. When I contacted a Sonos rep on chat, they said no issues at their end and to contact Apple customer support, but that they would look into it if it reoccurs.

Userlevel 2

I just chatted with customer support in Germany and they were aware of this issue. I was told that is being worked on but no ETA on the fix

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Had a response from Sonos support today. Now confirmed that their developers are aware of the issue with Apple Music volume and are working on a fix, but no ETA. 

Userlevel 2

I also had a response in a german support chat session. They told me their developers are aware of this problem. But no eta for a fix or a workaround. 

He suggested to use an other streaming service until the problem is solved. 🧐

It certainly suggests the issue is likely to be on the Apple side, since Sonos uses the same software for every stream. I wonder if something changed on Apple’s servers with the rollout of their classical music service, which was essentially simultaneous with Sonos 15.2. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Sonos just released a new iOS app but it hasn’t solved the volume issue. I suspect we need to wait for a system update unfortunately. 

I just updated the iOS app (it had to be done manually) and also had a firmware update and I’m experiencing the opposite. I now have to crank it to 100% to not even get the volume I had at 50% before the update watching TV. It’s pathetic.

To be clear, I’m just watching TV on a soundbar with Sonos 1 surrounds and the woofer. No Apple Music even connected to the account

Userlevel 1

I have exactly the same problem. The Sonos-support yesterday could have told me this! Nothing works and I hope they come with an update very soon because this is annoying.

Userlevel 2

I just updated the iOS app (it had to be done manually) and also had a firmware update and I’m experiencing the opposite. I now have to crank it to 100% to not even get the volume I had at 50% before the update watching TV. It’s pathetic.

To be clear, I’m just watching TV on a soundbar with Sonos 1 surrounds and the woofer. No Apple Music even connected to the account

​​​​​

That’s correct. The issue only applies to streaming services. Maybe only to Apple Music ( i do not use other services). In my case, the online radio station i sometimes listen to, has not this issue  

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same problem for me. I have a speaker set up right behind where people sit at a table. For years volume level 4-6 was enough for some nice background music. Suddenly since the most recent update even volume level 1 is WAY too loud!  

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Surprised at how bad Sonos support is on this. They keep emailing me saying they’re going to close my ticket and if I still have an issue to get in touch with them. 

I’ve reminded them that this is a fundamental

and major issue with their latest system update for anyone with Apple Music and I’ve requested another update on the fix. 

It’s odd that this seems to be an Apple Music only issue. Since Sonos uses the same connection/player for all services, I’d think the issue would be impacting all of them equally. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I don’t feel this is just an Apple Music issue. While it is consistently too loud with Apple Music, I’ve also noticed some strange volume issues with Spotify that I never noticed before. It may just be the playlists I’ve listened to, but some Spotify songs seem to be  “normal” (pre-update) volume, and other songs are way too loud.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Bump. Still no fix and Sonos support won’t provide an update. This has massively dented my faith in Sonos having been a customer for over 10 years - they’re leaving so many people unable to use their systems with this issue. 

Userlevel 1

Bump. Still no fix and Sonos support won’t provide an update. This has massively dented my faith in Sonos having been a customer for over 10 years - they’re leaving so many people unable to use their systems with this issue. 

One week more then I give away my Sonos speakers and buy another brand brcause I really think that music is importsnt in my life though Sonos don´t think so.

It's unbelievable that they can't solve the problem. Apple Music is a relevant streaming provider. Answer from German service: I should use other services until the solution... It's been almost two weeks now.

Userlevel 1

For anyone having this issue with Amazon music (noticeable when audio changes from HD, Ultra HD & Dolby Atmos), Sonos are aware but no fix or ETA available. 

Workarounds provided were very disappointing - stream to another speaker instead, use another music service, create playlist with affected songs. 

Wish they would just revert this update.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Update 15.3 has just been released with ‘bug fixes’. Unfortunately it doesn’t fix the volume issue, Apple Music playback is still way too loud. 

Sonos support have also completely stopped responding to me still and closed my ticket (even though I continually asked them not to as it’s still a problem) so I have no idea what the progress is. They literally don’t care about their customer’s experience, it’s shocking.  

It’s liable to be a fix that Apple needs to do. Sonos uses the same API/player for all music, for one streaming company to have an issue, but not all of them leads to the thought that it’s the source providing a different level to the Sonos for playback. Sonos, of course, doesn’t have control over Apple’s engineering priorities. 

Update 15.3 has just been released with ‘bug fixes’. Unfortunately it doesn’t fix the volume issue, Apple Music playback is still way too loud. 

Sonos support have also completely stopped responding to me still and closed my ticket (even though I continually asked them not to as it’s still a problem) so I have no idea what the progress is. They literally don’t care about their customer’s experience, it’s shocking.  

Sonos is like “LOL, who invited these outcasts to the party? La la la *skips off*”

:(

Or perhaps the fix wasn’t ready, and there wasn’t time to test it for this release, which may have been ‘locked in’ long before they started looking at the issue? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m new to Sonos but am now having problems with my Era 300 pair.  Whether I use Apple or Amazon Music I have volume problems, too low and then increases by itself?  This is through Sonos App.  Also AirPlay erratic for both services with one speaker seemingly becoming disconnected according to message in App.  Elsewhere it reports an excellent connection?  Very odd and not good at all.

I’d recommend that call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Same issue here specifically Apple Music

Hi all, funny thing! I just updated to 15.3 yesterday and the volume of the sub has lowered! Before I had a great sounds with +1 volume level for the sub. Now I have to adjust it to +10 voor same sound quality. one SL are louder then before. Before they were at 0 level now I have to set them to -2. Spoke with Sonos about it, the don’t see a problem……

sounds was great before the update 😣