Answered

Volume levels too high after 15.2 update

Show first post

170 replies

Userlevel 1

On monday I will order 3 Apple HomePod and start lleaving Sonos. I dont see any other solution if Sonos dont see the problem. Anyone who have better suggestions on speakers?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

On monday I will order 3 Apple HomePod and start lleaving Sonos. I dont see any other solution if Sonos dont see the problem. Anyone who have better suggestions on speakers?

I’m new to Sonos and very much an Apple fan, having multiple products over the years.  Undoubtedly the Era 300s are far superior to Homepods.  I have two black second generation Homepods just two months old if you’re serious about buying some.  Also got an older White original model.

Userlevel 1

I’m new to Sonos and very much an Apple fan, having multiple products over the years.  Undoubtedly the Era 300s are far superior to Homepods.  I have two black second generation Homepods just two months old if you’re serious about buying some.  Also got an older White original model.

I cannot buy another Sonos-product when I have to leave Sonos. Thanks for the offer but I want white.🤗

Userlevel 1

Talked to the support just now. They are aware of the problem now and they are working on a solution whithout any time for when its done.

Userlevel 2

i’m generally a big supporter of Sonos...this is an unacceptable mistake by them.  i have 8 Sonos speakers in the house.  there are now useless (no hyperbole) for dinner music, work music or morning yoga all of which cover around 85% of my use case.  Fix this and notify users ASAP.

Userlevel 2
Badge

How has this not been fixed yet?  It’s been a month and I’m still having the same issue.  My Sonos speakers that I’ve always used for background music when I have friends over are all but worthless now.  Volume at level 1 is still WAY too high on many songs, but is just fine on others.  Absolutely ridiculous that this has gone on as long as it has for a system that I’ve spend multiple thousands of dollars building.  Starting to think about jumping ship and going with another system entirely.  

It’s entirely possible that this isn’t a Sonos issue to ‘fix’, since it’s not equally affecting all services. It may be that Sonos has passed on the information to Apple, who needs to make an adjustment on their servers, and Sonos can’t force them into assigning an engineer to do so. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Absolutely ridiculous that this isn’t fixed yet. Still can’t use my speakers properly due to this issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Still isn’t fixed in update 15.4. Absolutely ridiculous. 

I was going to upgrade my speakers but If this isn’t fixed soon I will have to seriously consider an alternative to Sonos!

Am experiencing the same issue (w/ Apple Music only which is the music service I use 98% of the time).

Tried all of the solutions proposed in threads above (removing/re-adding Apple Music, reseting system, power cycling speakers, deleting/re-installing Sonos app on both Mac and iPhone) however none of these “solutions” worked.  

Am leaving this comment so that hopefully Sonos gives greater weight to fixing this issue and so that I can be notified of future threads.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Still not fixed, still unable to use my Sonos system like I have done for the past 10 years. What on earth are Sonos doing!?

It’s really unusual, I’m not experiencing this at all. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Still not fixed in 15.5. It’s been 3 months now. 

Userlevel 2

Still not fixed after 15.5 update……..

Still not fixed. Best Service! 

The ‘fix’ needs to occur on Apple’s side. Sonos engineers don’t have the ability to make changes on Apple’s servers. 

Glad I found this thread. Not glad I found it AFTER I woke up half the house. Apparently still an issue. 

I just can’t love Sonos. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

The ‘fix’ needs to occur on Apple’s side. Sonos engineers don’t have the ability to make changes on Apple’s servers. 

It’s irrelevant where the fault lies. Sonos is our service provider and they’ve broken their service and not fixed it for 3 months and counting. 

Right. Sonos surely controls Apple’s engineering efforts, or has access to making code changes on Apple’s servers. Got it. 

Userlevel 2

Right. Sonos surely controls Apple’s engineering efforts, or has access to making code changes on Apple’s servers. Got it. 

[sarcasm on]
Right, because Apple’s engineers forced Sonos to release faulty 15.2 and then 15.3 and then 15.4 and then 15.5..
And for sure it is Apple fault that Sonos don’t have more granular volume control.
[sarcasm off]

Before 15.2 everything was ok, I was using my Sonos speaker 99% of my listening time (and occasionally Alexa)

Now Alexa time is 95%.. and Sonos only to check if this “feature” is fixed..

Did some tests yesterday - the same track and my very unprofessional dB meter:
Sonos (Apple Music API mode) at the LOWEST possible volume 1/100 is roughly equivalent of Alexa at volume 16/100.

WAY WAY too loud..

Bugs happened but it is really that hard to add a few notches on volume control? I always missed more granular volume control on my Sonos but now lack of this made my Sonos almost completely unusable..

I know, I am a new user here, no replies history, for sure some Troll from the Internet. But I really liked my Sonos.. And now only that left is frustration and anger…. HOW hard it could be to add a few notches to Volume control.. Especially that users demands this feature for years (at least according to various reddit/internet threads which I followed trying to solve this problem).

-- 
Bohdan

Userlevel 2

Still having this issue as well. However, I have noticed that files coded as MPEG or .mp3 are the culprits of being too loud. Apple Music and iTunes purchases (AAC, m4a) files have consistent volume when played via AM through the Sonos App. 

Userlevel 2

Small update from Sonos support:

“Devices that do not support the Atmos format have received "boosted volume" to be more consistent with Apple Music volume.”

Can anyone confirm that this problem is only with speakers without Atmos?

They also said that they are working on it (and that many users already reported this problem)

-- 
Bohdan

Userlevel 2

How ironic, I just got 3 months free of Apple Music from Sonos when I bought two new Era 100 speakers… and now it does not work properly. Even at volume = 1, getting complaints from the family :(

How ironic, I just got 3 months free of Apple Music from Sonos when I bought two new Era 100 speakers… and now it does not work properly. Even at volume = 1, getting complaints from the family :(

Do you mean the voice-control volume-1 level, or actual volume-1 in the Sonos App, as the two are entirely different volume levels - I struggle to hear volume-1 in the Sonos App at say a distance of 5-6 feet in a quiet room. Anyone in another room would never hear it in our Home.

The Alexa voice assistant (just as an example) works in integer numbers, each representing a volume increase/decrease of 10%.