Answered

Upgrading from S1 to S2 with aged devices

• 4 January 2024
  • 10 replies

hi there.

I have a mixture of devices including older models of one, three and five.  Also a sound bar.  There are also some newer one’s.

I have been avoiding upgrading as I am not sure all will continue to work as they do today.

I get the pop up all the time, but ignore.

BBC sounds has today stoped working and I am being told

Must I upgrade and will my devices still work…

any help appreciated, as they cost a lot of money and I don’t want to have to start to replace, when they are working perfectly.

thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by John B 4 January 2024, 19:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Hi

A few initial comments

1. All Play:1s and Play:3s are compatible with S2 and can work very happily with the latest products.  The Play:5 gen 1 is, though, compatible only with S1.
  2. I cannot believe that the BBC Sounds issue has anything to do with being made to upgrade.  Note that you are being asked to update not upgrade.  Just go into Settings and Check for Updares.

Hi John,

thanks for the help.

I do have a Play:5 gen 1.

If I update and go through the process, will that not stop the play5 working ?

Hi John,

thanks for the help.

Yes it would!

so i spent hundreds of pounds on that back in the day, built a great system, and now for my pleasure it will no longer work - that’s not right

’I bought a ‘386 computer, but it doesn’t run Windows 11, that’s not right!’

Anything that runs software, like the computers in the Sonos devices, advances over time, and takes more CPU and memory to run, especially newer software.

Much like my ‘old ‘386’, which can still run the antiquated original windows, Sonos has provided S1, which will still run on your first generation PLAY:5. 

so i spent hundreds of pounds on that back in the day, built a great system, and now for my pleasure it will no longer work - that’s not right

As mentioned earlier, it sounds like you just need to ‘update’ your device software, rather than ‘upgrade’. The BBC Sounds service is working fine with S1 products. See screenshot attached.

There is no need to upgrade. Just  carry on using your as you always have done.

Did you actually read my first post? It seems pretty clear to me, but maybe it isn't. 

Hi John,

thanks for the help.

Yes it would!

I interpreted “go through the priocess” as the process of upgrading. You are not being asked to upgrade, you are b=ng asked to update your S1 system  with bug fiixes and security patches.

thanks John, I got there in the end and the “update” worked.

Do you know is there anyway to stop the recurring request that pops up to “upgrade”

thanks

thanks John, I got there in the end and the “update” worked.

Do you know is there anyway to stop the recurring request that pops up to “upgrade”

thanks

I am glad it has worked out for you now. 

I don’t know for sure how to stop the nudges to upgrade to S2, I’m afraid.  But you could try going into your online account at www,sonos.com.  Under Contact Preferences make sure that the in app field is unticked.  I am not sure if that will stop this particular prompt.

One other way that would get rid of the message would be to upgrade to S2!  I think it is worth considering this.   The tech has moved on so much that I think you would find a One, One SL or Era 100 a good replacement for the gen 1 Play:5.  An ERA 300 or Five would be a substantial improvement.  You would get a significant upgrade discount and you could keep the Play:5 as a stand-alone speaker or sell it.

I am not suggesting that you should do this, just that you consider it.