Answered

Upgrade choice

• 4 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi, I have a Sonos Connect:Amp connected to a pair of Sonos SP100 speakers, and I’d like to upgrade to a newer Sonos product, mainly for Airplay compatibility and general flexibility of use, and hopefully better sound quality of course. 

I use my sound system in the living room, which is roughly 20’x16’ (6mx5xm). I listen mostly to classical music; we also like to be able to use the sound system when watching films etc. Ideally I’m looking for a good overall sound from any point in the room, rather than one sweetspot… My hesitation is between these 3:

• Sonos Amp (connected to my old SP100 speakers)
  • Sonos Five
  • Sonos Era 300 

Any recommendations? Can you help me choose? 

Thanks a lot,

Max

icon

Best answer by ratty 4 November 2023, 19:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Those SP100s are getting very long in the tooth, and IMO were always a bit of an add-on to help sell the ZP100 in the early days. 

On the basis of your preference for a good overall sound, without an obvious sweet-spot, a pair of Era300s seem the obvious choice. Fives might offer a fractionally sharper stereo image -- at the sweet-spot -- but the soundstage from the Eras is more expansive and less sensitive to seating position.

The Eras also include Bluetooth, should you need it, and microphones if you feel like experimenting with voice control. To send film audio to them you’d need to purchase a Sonos Line-In/USB adapter, assuming you have no other Sonos components able to accept an analog feed. 

Thanks ratty for such a prompt and thorough reply! Yes, I had a feeling the Era 300 might be the favoured option - a pair of them would be just spot on, I feel. 

We usually play films etc via my iMac connected to a monitor, so if I connect my iMac to the Era 300 via Airplay we should be fine, right?

Thanks so much once again for your recommendation.

Max

Thanks ratty for such a prompt and thorough reply! Yes, I had a feeling the Era 300 might be the favoured option - a pair of them would be just spot on, I feel. 

Buy from Sonos and if, for any reason, they aren’t suitable you always have the standard return period. 

We usually play films etc via my iMac connected to a monitor, so if I connect my iMac to the Era 300 via Airplay we should be fine, right?

Airplay has an intrinsic delay (around 2s I believe) but if the iMac is able to compensate by delaying the video to match then you ought to be okay. I have no experience of iMac nor of Airplay in this kind of context so you’d need to reassure yourself. If all else fails you could always use an analog Line-In connection, as you’ve presumably been doing with the Connect:Amp hitherto. For a Sonos stereo pair you’d only need to wire to one of the two speakers; the network would take care of the other.

EDIT: I just tested Airplay from an iPad to a pair of Ones and picture/sound did appear to be in sync. 

Thanks for the test! Good to know it works, and yes, good to know I always have the analog line-in option. 

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you find the low end of the Eras a bit light a mini-sub should make them better than the Fives and a full Sub will be quite impressive if you love the low end of organ music.