unable to connect to sonos

• 17 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Ever since I moved house and now have virgin and at the same time went over to S2 I now have this message. I now have s2 products so going back to s2 isn't an option. I think my bridge wouid solve it but you cant have that with s2. My sonos move seems fine, but my lounge set up (bar, sub, 2 x sl one) alwasy comes up as unabke to connect to sonos when earlier innthe day it was connected. On the rare occasion is does connect (after I've gone through disconnecting and connecting as if all of my products are new), it is VERY slow to obey commands or instructions and often doesn't obey them at all I.e. volume up, next song..basically everything. Annoying as I've been a customer for over 10 years. Any help gratefully appreciated.

6 replies

Which virgin router model are you using? I ask because their Superhub v3 has compatibility issues with Sonos as shown in this support link…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/virgin-super-hub-3-compatibility

Userlevel 7

Hi

The Bridge is an out dated product that causes problems so don’t use it. The Bridge was replaced by the Boost but it too has been discontinued.

Although the Boost has been discontinued it was not done so because of problems. Modern routers are now more reliable and so are WiFi mesh systems (not to be confused with WiFi range extenders) that extend the range of a routers WiFi.

The SonosNet that was created by the Bridge and Boost is still an option for S2 products. All you need do is wire a speaker to your router Ethernet. The wired speaker cannot be  one used as a surround, nor a sub.

All said you can try creating the SonosNet to see if that resolves your issues. If not come back for more assistance.

FYI, the Era series and Sonos portable speakers do not create nor participate in the SonosNet.

Note@Ken_Griffiths types faster than me; even though it’s a less wordy answer 😊

Thanks both for responding 

Virgin router says hub 3.0 on the bottom. I have no speakers wired to the router and have never wired any directly to the router. 

I think I may have had this issue before a long time ago when I removed the bridge from my installation in my old house. When I put it back in, it worked perfectly again.

I'll try wiring a speaker directlatto the router at the weekend, although in practice this will not be an option due to the set up/ location in my house, so I'd need to buy another speaker 🙄. 

See 

Thanks both for responding 

Virgin router says hub 3.0 on the bottom. I have no speakers wired to the router and have never wired any directly to the router. 

I think I may have had this issue before a long time ago when I removed the bridge from my installation in my old house. When I put it back in, it worked perfectly again.

I'll try wiring a speaker directlatto the router at the weekend, although in practice this will not be an option due to the set up/ location in my house, so I'd need to buy another speaker 🙄. 

Or you could maybe add a ‘used’ Sonos Boost - that would be cheaper and should fix the issue for you, but maybe test things first with one of your existing speakers.

Note that MOVE will not join SonosNet. Move is WiFi only.  Temporarily, wire a SONOS unit to the router, then go to Settings > System > Network > Wireless Setup and make sure that your WiFi is correctly setup here. If you make a change allow a couple minutes for the system to reconfigure itself with the new details.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Khadine2 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I personally used to have a SuperHub 3 and can tell you that they are not reliable devices - back when I worked on the technical support phone lines, I used to send someone to Virgin support to demand a new router pretty much every single week. In addition to flaking out with more than about 10 devices connected to them, they often had DHCP issues, which affected client device’s ability to stay connected to the network.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, but if they are unable to help long-term, then I recommend you either a) get in touch with Virgin and demand a more up-to-date router (I think they are on version 5 or 6 now), or b) do what I did - put your SuperHub 3 into modem mode and purchase a third-party router to run the actual network for you instead. Spend at least £50 on a new router and it should be reliable. If you need guidance on how to do this, just let me know - I still have the pre-prepared text I used years ago.

I hope this helps.