Answered

Trueplay ios17

• 19 October 2023
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Why is Truplay still not supported on iPhones with ios17? It has been weeks now, and I am now actually on iOS 17.0.3……Sonos makes a big thing  about this feature yet they appear to not be in any rush to sort this!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 20 October 2023, 16:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 7

Trueplay is supported on iOS 17. Just be sure the Sonos app and hardware are up to date.

NOTE: Trueplay is not yet supported on iPhone 15 models.

Yes, as @GuitarSuperstar mentions, Trueplay is certainly working on all my compatible iOS devices running iOS/iPadOS v17.0.3.

Device compatibility is stated on this Sonos Support Page:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/trueplay-compatible-devices-and-sonos-products

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Well my Sonos app is the latest version, my  iOS is the latest version, my iPhone has been hard rebooted……and I still get the non supported error when I try it?…….Its an iPhone 12 so should be supported.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Greeneel78 

Thanks for your post!

We are working to bring Trueplay to iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 on iOS 17. We currently have no ETA, however.

As TruePlay on these models was supported on previous versions of iOS, I can only presume something out-of-the-ordinary has occurred with iOS 17 on these particular models.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Greeneel78 

Thanks for your post!

We are working to bring Trueplay to iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 on iOS 17. We currently have no ETA, however.

As TruePlay on these models was supported on previous versions of iOS, I can only presume something out-of-the-ordinary has occurred with iOS 17 on these particular models.

I hope this helps.

Ahhhh ok, probably one of Apples little techniques on older devices to slowly make you feel the need to upgrade your phone when in all honesty it is exactly the same as the newer models, less a tiny design change and a small camera upgrade!! Hope Sonos arn’t in on the game too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Even the oldest Sonos devices are still supported so nope, Sonos isn’t in that game.

Although some of the new Sonos gear tempts you to upgrade.

Agree with the OP in this thread. Very disappointing that Tru Play isn’t supported on the new iPhone 15 Pro Max yet. I just set up a wife friendly Arc, Sub gen 3, Rear Era 100’s for surround sound in the main living room and it sounds like s**t…..Well that’s probably a tad harsh, sounds like a setup I had in my bedroom as a kid in the 90’s….

Badge

Why would anyone buy Sonos when the main feature doesn’t work? Namely IOS. Appalling customer service.

Why would anyone buy Sonos when the main feature doesn’t work? Namely IOS. Appalling customer service.

I’m quite sure that many here just love to see people like you put in the effort to join the forum to post such comments in their first ever post. Many Android owners don’t even use Trueplay and in some cases a Sonos room may sound better without it to some people - it’s basically just a near flat-line response across the frequency range. It’s certainly not to everyone’s taste. I personally see it more as a starting point to get to where how I like to listen to different types of audio. If you think it’s Sonos’ main feature then you probably need to think again and get to know your Sonos system.

Room correction is a huge part of your home audio/theater listening experience. One of the first, if not the first thing most folks do is run whatever room correction is supplied by the manufacturer. To add, the whole Sonos marketing strategy is being a user friendly setup, which it is, but the inability to provide adequate tools to attain just the bare minimum in room correction is (right now) a really huge negative. It’s a phone app we’re using at the end of the day, not some sophisticated software running on a laptop with external microphone attachment. Really surprised Sonos hasn’t addressed this yet considering it’s vital (in my opinion) to the end users listening experience with a new product…

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It’s only the newest iPhones that won’t do Trueplay. You could do Trueplay on a borrowed older iPhone. Give Sonos some time to fix this.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It’s only the newest iPhones that won’t do Trueplay. You could do Trueplay on a borrowed older iPhone. Give Sonos some time to fix this.

No it is not only the new phones! Have a further read down the thread!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You're right. Read somewhere some older phones are affected too. The iPhone 12 springs to mind. So borrow an iPhone 13?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

You're right. Read somewhere some older phones are affected too. The iPhone 12 springs to mind. So borrow an iPhone 13?

Sorry, but I don’t see that in the advertising from Sonos!…….”We don’t support many iPhones, so find someone else’s who has a different model to perform Trueplay”……..it doesn’t really come across as very appealing does it!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There is always a delay of a few months after a new phone is released whilst Sonos get their hands on one and tune the Trueplay set up.  Can’t see a way round that unless Apple hands over a phone before launch.  I’d be a little more skeptic of Trueplay if new phones were compatible out of the box.

iOS 17 seems to have done something that affects earlier models, this is not the norm though and clearly not anticipated.

I both can’t trueplay calibrate my system on my IPad Pro 12,9 6.gen iOS 17.1 or my iPhone 12 iOS 17.1. Is it me who have sat up my system wrong or is it my apple hardware that doesn’t support it yet? 

I both can’t trueplay calibrate my system on my IPad Pro 12,9 6.gen iOS 17.1 or my iPhone 12 iOS 17.1. Is it me who have sat up my system wrong or is it my apple hardware that doesn’t support it yet? 

No not at the moment the iPhone 12 had some issue with TP, post iOS 17 and I’m not sure the iPad Pro 6 gen (12.9”) will ever be supported, as previous iterations are on the non-supported list of devices. Their microphones are not that good, I guess. Maybe try a dB App audio test and see how its mic compares to your iPhone mic.

I both can’t trueplay calibrate my system on my IPad Pro 12,9 6.gen iOS 17.1 or my iPhone 12 iOS 17.1. Is it me who have sat up my system wrong or is it my apple hardware that doesn’t support it yet? I wish I would have known before I upgraded my system. Now I’m not only trapped in the Apple ecosystem, now I’m also trapped in a Sonos ecosystem that doesn’t support android or New Apple hardware..

No not at the moment the iPhone 12 had some issue with TP, post iOS 17 and I’m not sure the iPad Pro 6 gen (12.9”) will ever be supported, as previous iterations are on the non-supported list of devices. Their microphones are not that good, I guess. Maybe try a dB App audio test and see how its mic compares to your iPhone mic.

Badge

So currently anyone who has or is about to part with the best part of £3k on a Sonos Surround system the message from Sonos is tough? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, only people that own an iPhone 12 or 15 and that are not able to borrow a different iPhone are temporarily out of luck.

Badge

No, only people that own an iPhone 12 or 15 and that are not able to borrow a different iPhone are temporarily out of luck.

I typed in “luck” in a search of Sonos T&C’s and “luck” not mentioned once. 

FYI I have a iPhone 14 and it doesn’t work. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Also iPhone 11 owners are “out of luck”. (temporarily hopefully)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So, reading this thread IPhone 11s, 12s, 15s, and some 14s are affected!! Must easily be more than half of iPhone owners, yet you still think it’s acceptable to just say borrow someone else’s phone?……..I’ve heard of fanboys but wow!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do think people make too much of a problem out of this temporary thing, yes.

I do think people make too much of a problem out of this temporary thing, yes.

The iPhone 12 issue dosen’t sound temporarily to me, and yes I upgraded my system more than a month ago just to learn that I will have to dig up an old iPhone to get better surround sound than I had with my PC speakers in the 90’s. Then I have better stuff to spend my money on.  hope Sonos will support it before Apple stop supporting it. And Android doesn’t sound like a solution either. “It’s a trap”