F.A.Q.

Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi

Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi

Show first post

114 replies

I have no experience with the Linksys mesh. Some mesh systems will run the nodes as separate subnets.  This will thoroughly fluster SONOS because all of the players and controllers must be on the same subnet. This is why moving the phone controller to a different node will break its connection with SONOS.

Thanks for the reply buzz, but the nodes are all on the same subnet. 

My brand new Amp joins the Wifi fine, I can see it on the admin interface of the Access Point 
, both my Android app and the IOS app however cannot find the device after intial setup wizard is done. 
This is a brand new system, using the Sonos App .   I have reset it to factory defaults at least 5 times , I can find the device to “change network settings” but  that is it.

My brand new Amp joins the Wifi fine, I can see it on the admin interface of the Access Point 
, both my Android app and the IOS app however cannot find the device after intial setup wizard is done. 
This is a brand new system, using the Sonos App .   I have reset it to factory defaults at least 5 times , I can find the device to “change network settings” but  that is it.

Note access points/range extenders (not part of a WiFi mesh setup) are not supported by Sonos, as they can mangle MAC addresses of the connected devices, making it difficult to discover devices using SSDP multicasting. See the system requirements here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-system-requirements

Try blacklisting the controller device and Sonos products on the extender so that they use the main router WiFi AP instead and see if that fixes your issue.

Thank you, there is no range extender in the picture here , if I gave that impression sorry.

My previous S1 amp and connect were working fine prior, with the S1 app.   I am using the new S2 80.xx app now, and new Amp. 

I have unplugged all my old S1 gear to be sure as well.   Like I mentioned the Application finds the Amp fine after a factory reset, and wifi setup wizard is done.  Then after that it just shows nothing / no devices found 

Ahhhh, thanks y’all for these comments but to be honest most of them are over my head.  I just like music and I like to be able to play it when I want and how I want.  Sonos was recommended to me about 10 years ago by Best Buy and I loved it.  It sounded great, it was easy to operate, and I had so much assessable music; I was in heaven. I even had my son and my brother to purchase a system. Through the years my family members have bought me various speakers and I was overjoyed. I would have people over and Dj all night.  When the new amp and turntable came out, I got my vinyl from the basement, because I was really going to have a jam session.  Whelp now I can’t because I’m having problems with the speakers, they drop off my system and the new app is the pits!  I get frustrated every time I try to play my music.  I’ve contacted my cable company and I’ve done some troubleshooting with the maker of my router and I continue to have problems.  I’m so grateful I haven’t invested in the amp and turntable which would have cost me about $1400. I’m honestly thinking about selling my system.   I’m just a person who wants to play some good music without any problems 

Thank you, there is no range extender in the picture here , if I gave that impression sorry.

My previous S1 amp and connect were working fine prior, with the S1 app.   I am using the new S2 80.xx app now, and new Amp. 

I have unplugged all my old S1 gear to be sure as well.   Like I mentioned the Application finds the Amp fine after a factory reset, and wifi setup wizard is done.  Then after that it just shows nothing / no devices found 

It’s difficult to resolve this over community forum posts as it can be so many things…

The ‘discovery’ of the Sonos products by the Sonos controller App can sometimes be a slightly complex area to explore, but briefly… 

SSDP (the UPnP simple service discovery protocol) is used to initially discover the Sonos players and is done via multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. 

Both the Sonos players and controllers must share the same network subnet. However if the Sonos devices are connecting to multiple access points, the recommendations (from myself) are that they be set to the same WiFi channel and channel-width. This is for optimum performance particularly in groups and for some reason with some (not all) mesh-based WiFi systems, it appears some will work okay with Sonos, but others may not, particularly if the satellites/AP’s are perhaps auto-selecting their own WiFi channels. I’ve seen some people report issues with Google ‘nest’ mesh WiFi, for example, although others will occasionally say it works for their ‘small’ Sonos setup.

What is certainly not supported though by Sonos, are wireless range extenders, as some can mangle device MAC addresses and EoP (powerline) adapters.. so if you are using those type of wireless access points, to extend the wireless network coverage, then that may cause such intermittent device discovery issues by the Sonos Controller App.

Reserving the IP addresses in the routers DHCP reservation table can often help with device discovery, so consider making your Sonos IP addresses static. The router user-manual will normally assist you to do that in most cases.

Just to add aswell, it can sometimes be Apps/software running on the mobile ‘controller’ device that interfere with ‘device discovery’ Examples to perhaps consider are…

• VPN Client 
  • Firewall software
  • Antivirus software
  • WiFi Calling/Dial assist
  • Private network address (MAC address spoofing)
  • Mobile data enabled for the Sonos App  

So consider disabling these features, even temporarily, just to see if that may fix your device ‘discovery’ issue.

thanks for the tips, but none of those items are a factor here.  I am using an ipad, wifi only model, so no cell / mobile issues. 
I can get through the entire setup of the device / wifi settings / pin entry etc.
I can find the device to “update the network” , it just will not add / create a new “system” this has to be a bug in the S2 application

My old S1 gear all worked fine on the same network / wifi equipment. (the s1 app also finds the product as well, but is not able to downgrade it.). I am fine with having to move to S2 , but if tech support cant get the new product in an app today its getting returned 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

thanks for the tips, but none of those items are a factor here.  I am using an ipad, wifi only model, so no cell / mobile issues. 
I can get through the entire setup of the device / wifi settings / pin entry etc.
I can find the device to “update the network” , it just will not add / create a new “system” this has to be a bug in the S2 application

My old S1 gear all worked fine on the same network / wifi equipment. (the s1 app also finds the product as well, but is not able to downgrade it.). I am fine with having to move to S2 , but if tech support cant get the new product in an app today its getting returned 

S1 used 2.4GHz only, but S2 can also use 5GHz on some devices, so its possible your router is confused by the mixture. You could try disabling 5GHz temporarily on your router and see if that helps.

I am suspecting the hardware / firmware that was purchased from Best Buy is some old stock, and that perhaps the base version of this amp is too old to be properly added to the system with the new S2 App

My S1 PC app was able to recognize it, and show some details about unit. 
I assume there is no way to update the firmware on the unit , as it needs to be in the S2 app system registration in order to update 

What is the current Amp firmware?

Moderator edit: removed image with serial number

I am suspecting the hardware / firmware that was purchased from Best Buy is some old stock, and that perhaps the base version of this amp is too old to be properly added to the system with the new S2 App

My S1 PC app was able to recognize it, and show some details about unit. 
I assume there is no way to update the firmware on the unit , as it needs to be in the S2 app system registration in order to update 

What is the current Amp firmware?

Moderator edit: removed image with serial number

I was able to resolve it on my own.  Reset to factory default. (which I had done many times). Used IOS app vs Android app. 

IOS app found device and prompted me to upgrade it *I had done this many times with both devices, but it did the upgrade this time, went from 12.2 to 79.1 on the device and now its visible in a new “system” on the same network.

About My System

------------------------------------

Amp: Poolside

Serial Number: **************

Sonos OS: S2

Version: 79.1-53290

Hardware Version: 1.24.1.14-1.2 

Moderator edit: removed serial number

Providing a bit of guidance for anyone using Google Fiber with a Google mesh Wi-Fi network here, which caused me hours and hours of frustration.   I have two 300 speakers, Gen 3 sub, Arc, and an Amp.  

Sonos products were never able stay linked to my app via Google Wi-Fi, and the problems worsened with the new app update a few weeks back.  No matter how I configured my network or how many times I factory reset my equipment, nothing stuck.  I researched other mesh network equipment, settled on TP-Link PX50, set it up last night, and viola...everything works perfectly now.  I wasnt super happy about having to purchase more equipment on top of the free Google Fiber mesh gear, but it seems to have been the issue.

Hopefully this helps another person in the future.  

I have a Sub2 that's not working and making a low beeping noise. Does anyone know what is wrong with this ? Can't figure it out 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dbones84 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your Sonos Sub. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.