Answered

trouble connecting era 100

• 12 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi 

I have had sonus beam sound bar for a year or so decided to get Era 100 speaker today to create a bit of surround sound trying to connect the Era 100 through the app with little success the beam is working fine but the Era 100 will not connect I’ve tried resetting router and all the other quick fixes but still nothing works has anyone else had these issues 

thanks 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 12 November 2023, 18:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

it does depend on what you mean by “will not connect”. Are you trying to ad the Era as a surround? If you want to achieve real surround sound one Era 100 is not enough - two is minimum for a surround set up. The Era should be set up as an new “room” in the Sonos app.

Userlevel 7

HI @Nick 14 

Just to add to @106rallye advice. To add the Era 100’s (as two are required) as surrounds they must not be in stereo pair.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you have two and still can’t connect…

Have you turned off the internal radio in your Beam? Sonos has that option mislabeled as disable WiFi, which it does, but it also turns off all radio based things like surrounds and subs.

Badge

So are you saying that a Beam and one Era 100 will not work? I don’t need true surround sound, just want to have sound near where I sit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

As others have said:

You can’t have surround sound with just one speaker, you must have a matched pair.

You can Group the additional speaker to your soundbar but there will be a slight delay.

So it won’t work as surround but it will work as a Grouped Room but with a slight delay.

Given what you have said you might want to rethink what you are trying to do as if you did get a pair of matched speakers and added them to your soundbar they would be surround speakers. It is critical to understand that they will NOT PLAY the sounds from the front right and left channels when viewing TV, they will only play the sounds the media producer has assigned toi the surround audio channels. That is often no sound for a good bit of TV even if it shows as 5.1 in the app. Yes the channels are there and available but no sound has been assigned to them so they produce no sound.

Grouping may well be your best option.