Skip to main content

I made some upgrades to my network and noticed that my Sonos speakers drop from the AirPlay (and Spotify connect) list. If I unplug them they’ll reappear only to drop after a few hours. They are always listed and available using the Sonos app and TIDAL.

Old network with standard wifi router - works fine

Modem > TP-Link Archer C7 (running openwrt)

New network with a wireless access point - suffers AirPlay drops

Modem > MikroTik RB750Gr3 router > TP-Link EAP245 v4

I’ve also tried this combination to rule out the MikroTik, but it also suffers from AirPlay drops

Modem > TP-Link Archer C7 (wifi turned off) > TP-Link EAP245 v4

This leads me to believe that the speakers aren’t playing nice with the TP-Link EAP245 access point. The wireless access point is using a basic stock configuration, nothing fancy like vlans, just a 2.4g SSID and 5g SSID configured.

I’ve tried numerous things over the last few days, but haven’t had any luck. Can anyone help?

Hi @tariq_ 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I agree with your conclusion. It would seem the Access Point is perhaps blocking mDNS announcements from crossing over to the router.

I recommend looking at the settings for the Access Point and looking for a Bridge/AP option to enable. Alternatively, look for any options that might configure it to work as a mesh with your TP-Link router (if you are willing to continue using that router, that is).

An alternative (seeing as you need multiple access points to cover the area you need covered) would be to replace both the router and the access point with a mesh system whose main node is designed to work in harmony with the additional nodes you place.

I hope this helps.

There aren’t any settings for bridge/ap/mdns/etc since it’s functioning as a dumb access point and there is not much to configure.

I am in the process of acquiring a v3 access point. My friend has a v3 and multiple non-Sonos devices and has no issue with Spotify connect. There a slim possibility that the v3 might just work. If not, there is an option to flash it with openwrt which I will try.

Will report back with my findings.

Okay good news!

I was able to find a used EAP245 v3 and AirPlay and Spotify Connect work perfectly running TP-Link firmware version 5.0.1 Build 20210113 Rel. 63060(5553)

So there does seem to be some issues with v4 hardware running firmware version 1.1.2 Build 20221109 Rel. 55990(4341). It’s possible it was just my unit, I didn’t get around to trying another v4.

If you find yourself in this situation with a v4 your options are:

• wait for TP-Link to release a new firmware that hopefully addresses the issue
  • wait for openwrt to add support for v4 and flash your device, see: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/tp-link-eap245-v4/149142/10
  • find a v3 which is difficult. I tried 3 online retailers and despite advertising a v3, they all sent me a v4 unit.

Hi @tariq_ 

It’s good to hear you found a solution! Thanks for updating the thread with your findings.