Skip to main content
Question

System Set Up - Deco Mesh Wifi

• 25 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

On top of the app upgrade debacle which has wreaked havoc on my SONOS system, I have now upgraded my internet package to full fibre (UK), so I am switching from a regular router from British Telecom to an ONT and router from another UK ISP.

Due to Wi-Fi issues in my house, I have decided to move to a mesh system and have purchased the TP-link Deco X75 Pro 3 pack (it is overkill, but it was a great deal and hopefully future-proofs things for my network).  I have not installed the Deco routers yet.

My current SONOS set up is a Beam (gen 2) hard wired to a 5 port switch which is then wired to the router.  The Beam is connected to an LG C2 Oled TV, which also has an Apple TV 4K connected but using Wi-Fi.

I have an Era 100 in the next room along with a BT Complete Wi-Fi disc.

In the room next to that I have a SONOS One.

Upstairs, I have a SONOS One and an Era 100.

My local music is currently stored and accessed on a Synology NAS (but not since the app update), but I have decided to upload my complete music library to YouTube Music as I have a premium account for YouTube.  I will stream my own music going forward and retire my NAS.

I intend to connect the Deco straight into the ONT and name the new network the same as the old one that is being replaced.  As I have the 3 pack, I will probably use the other 2 as satellites and place one in the next room to the ONT/router and one upstairs.

I access SONOS through the Android app but still have the Windows Controller software on my PC.

I am unsure as to the best way to set up the SONOS system on the new network, and if I should still hardwire the Beam into the TV?

Should I consider factory resetting everything and starting with a clean system?

I have come across a lot of conflicting information online about using a Mesh system with SONOS, so wanted to see if anybody has any advice on pitfalls or best practice.

Apologies if I have repeated an issue that has previously been posted.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

There’s advice here 

including some specific Deco recommendations. 

With the fun and games at present with the newest app, I’d disturb as little as possible in your system - especially not factory resetting. If you can rename the SSID and password of your new network to match the old, I’d go that route. Change the environment but leave the Sonos system undisturbed, if you can. 

Hi

Thanks for the reply, that's great advice...I will make as little change to SONOS as I can, and keep my fingers crossed.

😉