Answered

System became totally unstable after the last update

• 31 March 2024
  • 8 replies

I have a fairly complex system (8 speakers, 2 subs, 3 ports) using a dedicate Boost network that has become a nightmare since the recent update. I have had it for several years and while sometimes some updates are touch and go, it has been mainly very stable. But since the last software update, I have zones constantly coming in and out, sometimes the entire zone, sometimes just the sub and all of it randomly. I have tried resetting the Boost. I have tried unplugging all the speakers and plugging them again. Nothing really works. Nightmare. I hope a fix is coming soon

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 April 2024, 11:29

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I have a fairly complex system (8 speakers, 2 subs, 3 ports) using a dedicate Boost network that has become a nightmare since the recent update. I have had it for several years and while sometimes some updates are touch and go, it has been mainly very stable. But since the last software update, I have zones constantly coming in and out, sometimes the entire zone, sometimes just the sub and all of it randomly. I have tried resetting the Boost. I have tried unplugging all the speakers and plugging them again. Nothing really works. Nightmare. I hope a fix is coming soon

You’re not alone..I see several posts on this issue in the different Sonos forums. Of course the most common fix they say is “it’s your WiFi”… which has gotten redundant as a fix. I’ve had this happen and have great WiFi with no issues, except Sonos once in a grey moon. And of course we have the monthly software updates…so heads up and be ready. 

Sounds like you haven’t set up reserved IP addresses for your Sonos devices in your router. Try this:

Unplug all Sonos devices from power.

Reboot your router.

Wait 2 minutes.

Plug back in to power your Sonos devices.

Test.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

If you are running play:3 in S2 that is almost certainly having drop out issues due to a firmware bug. Maybe not your only issue but probably one of the sources of your fry. Lots of threads on it, here’s one 

Just to be clear, I am an IT engineer. I have tried to re boot the router. And unplugged all the speakers. I pinged my network to verify that all the speakers had acquired their individual IP address and were on the net. This isn’t a wifi issue. This system was working fine for a long time and started acting after the latest release of S2. Sub coming in and out are not an IP address conflict issue for example. The system is simply not stable

The app is also behaving weirdly in terms of showing the entire system, or only part of it, or ghost wrench icons that then then disappear after a few seconds and then back to normal. Sometimes it starts and everything is fine and sometimes it is all messed up. 

I assume that you have reserved IP addresses. As a test, power down the PLAY:3. I don’t know your physical layout, but if you can wire one or more other units, BOOST is likely redundant. 

I have three zones via Port(s) that are wired into my switch and then four stereo zones with Play 1 and subs, one mono zone with Play 3, one mono zone with One SL. Again this setup hasn't changed in years and was gloving me decent stability until the last updates. Very frustrating particularly the in and out of the subs which to me points clearly to a firmware problem

Certainly every indication of duplicate IP addresses being handed out by the router after a Sonos software update, which involves a reboot of each Sonos device. 

I’m also somewhat curious about whether these a smart or dumb switches, which could point in a different direction. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Frenchracer 

Thanks for your post!

If none of the excellent advice above helps, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.