Answered

Streaming from Android: Why does music stop after an hour?

• 3 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Streaming from an up to date Android phone to a Sonos 1.

Phone is plugged into a charger, and fully charged.

After about 60 minutes, the music stops, mid song. Open phone, go to Sonos app, press Play, the playlist starts from the beginning, not where it left off.

Music source is MP3 and flac files local to the phone. Playlist is a playlist.

To me, that is two problems.

How to resolve?

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 4 April 2023, 16:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @SamJones6,

It’s possible that the phone is locking which is causing the system to lose access to the files on the phone. If you want to prevent this, you may have to adjust your screen settings on your phone so it doesn’t auto-lock, but this will put a larger strain on your battery.

When playing tracks from your Android device, it needs to stay powered on and connected to your network, otherwise it will stop playing the tracks stored locally.

I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @SamJones6,

It’s possible that the phone is locking which is causing the system to lose access to the files on the phone.

That doesn’t make sense to me.

The screen locks pretty quickly.

Other apps, like podcast playing apps, do not have this problem. The podcast apps are playing mp3 files downloaded locally, and can stream over bluetooth for hours, even when the phone is sitting on my desk, untouched, locked in all the ways it can be locked.

So it isn’t the phone, and it isn’t Android somehow disallowing an interactive app from accessing files.

In the past, when streaming would stop after 10-30 minutes, it was understood that when battery level hits some level, that Android, on a locked phone, turns off the wifi, and this was stopping the Sonos stream.

However in this case, the phone is connected to power. So Android should not be going through its power saving sequence.

What to do next?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @SamJones6,

I assume it’s still likely to do with Sonos losing access to the files on your phone, but exactly what is causing the loss of access is hard to tell without looking further into the system. Bluetooth works differently to Sonos accessing the files on your phone through your Wi-Fi network, so that may be why you don’t see this occurring with other services that use Bluetooth.

The next time this occurs, please submit a diagnostics after the music stops playing, then reach out to our support team. The diagnostics will show us the error as to why the music stopped and our support team have the tools to help you troubleshoot this.

I hope this helps!