Answered

STP Concept for Sonos

• 27 September 2023
  • 1 reply

Dear Sonos,

First of all let me share some brief.

• I’m implementing Sonos system, Sonos port = 5 unit and Sonos AMP = 1 unit.
  • Site network is using all managed switch mixed brand Aruba, HP and Zyxel.
  • Using subnet /23 for 508 IP address.
  • Using default vlan, just vlan 1 only, no trunk port uplink just access port.
  • 2 rooms are install Sonos with different managed switch.
  • All switch have no STP classic only have RSTP and MSTP
  • If 1st room 5 Sonos port are connected with wired to managed switch and config RSTP seems working fine while another switch STP is disabled.

My problem is.

• If turn on the 2nd room 1 Sonos AMP connected to managed switch with RSTP configured then whole network latency quite unstable and all Sonos seems unstable as well.
  • I’ve adjust bridge priority that 1st room switch is root and 2nd room is bridge following STP concept but not help.
  • Did IGMP snooping enabled not help.

My Questions is.

• As mentioned above I did RSTP configure only 2 managed switch that all Sonos connected, In this case is it enough?
  •  Do I need to config RSTP on all of managed switch and prioritype core switch to be root bridge and sequently each switch?

Could you pls suggest?

Thanks in advances,

Somsak

icon

Best answer by ratty 27 September 2023, 11:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

This may help: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/configure-stp-settings-to-work-with-sonos

Essentially, RSTP path costs don’t get along with Sonos. Sonos uses a modified form of STP, with wireless path costs that vary with signal quality. Even at their greatest they’re way below RSTP costs.

It sounds like this issue

• If turn on the 2nd room 1 Sonos AMP connected to managed switch with RSTP configured then whole network latency quite unstable and all Sonos seems unstable as well.

could be due to Sonos’ low STP path costs causing it to wirelessly bridge past your switches, thereby directing all network traffic over SonosNet.

What is the AMP’s purpose? Is it on its own (with passive speakers obviously) or is it part of a home theatre setup, with Sonos surrounds and/or Subs? If it’s not part of an HT setup just disable its ‘WiFi’ (i.e. SonosNet) in its room settings and see if that helps.

Assuming there are no wireless Sonos players anywhere I’d also recommend disabling the ‘WiFi’ on all the wired PORTs.