Spectrum problem

• 14 February 2023
  • 42 replies

I have spent almost 11 hours on various telephone calls with Sonos tech support trying to get my Sonos One speakers working.  Technicians have told me that I must label my 5G and 2.4 with different names.  Spectrum tells me their routers cannot do this.  Are there cures for this problem?

42 replies

Userlevel 7

Hello,

There are known Wi-Fi issues with Spectrum routers. See Incompatible hardware with an available solution

The general resolution is to use Sonos in a wired setup.

Badge +1

Most Spectrum routers do this with no issue. IF you are in an area where they are supplying Eero routers instead of Arris, Netgear, etc. you have to do a “trick” to get 2.4 active. See in our video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dybX7rjoQdY&t=4s

I’m having the same issue. All of my Sonos devices will randomly appear and disappear out of the app. Also there isn’t alignment on the desktop app to the mobile app on what Sonos devices are available. 

ISP: Spectrum

Router: SAC2V2S 

Sonos apps: up to date as of writing

Sonos Devices: One gen 2 (x2), Bean gen 2, Move, Roam (x2)

Mobile: iOS 16.5

Desktop: Mac OS Ventura 13.3.1 (a)

I have 2 iPhones, 2 Apple Watches, 2 Apple TVs, 1 Macbook Pro, 1 PC, 1 printer, 1 garage door, etc and none of them have issues with the network. I also have another house full of Sonos that works but it’s on AT&T fiber. Not sure what the router is. 

Have done unplug/replug, reboots, factory resets, software updates, been on the phone for about 3 hours total now in addition to all of my own troubleshooting. Spectrum said they can’t split the network as Sonos has asked, but they can “guide” individual devices to use the 2.4 vs the 5. However, Spectrum also said that the Ones don’t appear to be capable of 2.4, they could only to 5. Hmmm...

Still working with Sonos’ escalation team who is asking the engineering team for help. Spectrum is sending out a technician as well. Getting good help now that I’m up to the escalation team but I don’t know if there will be a palatable solution.

To me, wiring all of these devices is not a solution. That defeats a core purpose of Sonos.

Permanently keeping a device plugged into my router is also not reasonable. Sonos has suggested this as it apparently helps the other Sonos speakers. In my opinion, having something plugged into the router to help the Sonos system achieve “Effortless Listening” as is advertised on the website should be supplied by Sonos free of charge or included in the first place.

Fingers crossed for a clean solution that doesn’t involve spending more money or wasting a device. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Would a new router be possible?

Not a huge fan of Spectrum… while I have a device of theirs that I use as a modem, I use my own router to generate my own WiFi network. 

From time to time ISP’s have issues with their routers. At one point my ISP’s router was the subject of blazing Internet fires. I eventually developed a habit of resetting the router once a month. It wasn’t just SONOS that had issues. I kept using that router for a while at the request of a manufacturer. Finally, the pain was too great and I replaced the ISP’s router with my own router. The ISP discouraged this, but all of my issues instantly vanished.

Which Router is recommended for Sonos products?

99% of them. It’s more appropriate to ask which routers have issues, and that data is now somewhat obscured. You can look up, using the search on the FAQ, the word ‘compatibility’, and you’ll find a list of articles about a very few routers. 

Thanks Airgettam.  I suppose i’ll just take a shot at a new/different router then since, like you say, they are a moving target given routine chip updates.

Userlevel 7

Motorola cable modems work well with Spectrum and Sonos. I have been using the Motorola MG8702 cable modem with success.

Motorola cable modems work well with Spectrum and Sonos. I have been using the Motorola MG8702 cable modem with success.

I already ordered the amazon Eero.  Hope that one is compatible?

Badge

Having the same issue!  

Have 6 speakers: 4 Sonos 1’s, Beam and a Move.

Router is Spectrum model: SAX2V15.

Spoke to Sonos said that I have to have the ISP separate the bandwidths (2.4 and 5ghz).

ISP Spectrum says that I need a router that has a dual band option… That the modal has a feature called “Advanced Home Wifi”. That this router is not capable of separating the badwitdhs.

Sonos say’s it can be done. Who is telling the truth?? 

Anyone find a solution with this type of router or should I have to spend money on a different router to support the Sonos system? 

Been having similar issues ever since we got a new Spectrum router.  All three Sonos devices appear to be connected to the router, but fall in and out on the app.  Seems very random, with constant “connection” issues… at least as it appears on the app.

Tried this today and so far it seems to have fixed the problem!

In the My Spectrum app, clicked on Router and Advanced Settings.  There is a setting there called UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), which “enables devices on your network to find each other and communicate”.  This setting was disabled… enabled it, and after the router reset now everything works!

Hopefully it continues, but so far its working consistently.

Badge

Been having similar issues ever since we got a new Spectrum router.  All three Sonos devices appear to be connected to the router, but fall in and out on the app.  Seems very random, with constant “connection” issues… at least as it appears on the app.

Tried this today and so far it seems to have fixed the problem!

In the My Spectrum app, clicked on Router and Advanced Settings.  There is a setting there called UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), which “enables devices on your network to find each other and communicate”.  This setting was disabled… enabled it, and after the router reset now everything works!

Hopefully it continues, but so far its working consistently.

@Steve821 Makes me wonder why Sonos did not recommend this.

Please let us know if that is a consistent fix. 

Thanks!

Sadly this did not resolve the issue.  I’m thinking the change in router setting just did a restart of the router which made it “work”… for a while.  By the next morning, the same problems were occurring.

The odd thing is that each Sonos device remains connected to the router just fine.  I can press play and each one will resume playing the last station or playlist.  The problem seems to be more with the app not being able to connect to the Sonos network.

Really wish someone would figure this out!

Badge

Sadly this did not resolve the issue.  I’m thinking the change in router setting just did a restart of the router which made it “work”… for a while.  By the next morning, the same problems were occurring.

The odd thing is that each Sonos device remains connected to the router just fine.  I can press play and each one will resume playing the last station or playlist.  The problem seems to be more with the app not being able to connect to the Sonos network.

Really wish someone would figure this out!

ugh. Thanks for the update. Everyone says to purchase your own router… 

Yes, further research shows that my particular Spectrum router - SAGEMCOM SAX1V1S - is locked down by Spectrum so you cannot change the band steering settings, which seems to be the cause of my Sonos issues.  So I will likely be buying a router and give this one back to Spectrum… but at least that should save me $5 a month!

In my case, the Sonos devices have no issue connecting to the router, presumably on the 2.4Ghz band.  The problem is really a disconnect between the Sonos “network” and the phone app, and seems to occur when my phone connects on the 5Ghz band, then I can’t “connect” to any of the Sonos devices.  As a temporary workaround, it seems like when this occurs, I can temporarily shut off the phone wifi, and turn it back on.  Usually everything then connects… at least for a while. PITA, but at least I can select music again until I get a new router.

Hope this helps someone else with this issue.

Some routers do not allow 5GHz clients to communicate with 2.4Ghz clients. If this is your situation, when the phone signs-in on 5Ghz it cannot communicate with SONOS, but if the phone signs-in on 2.4GHz it is available to the SONOS system.

Badge

Yes, further research shows that my particular Spectrum router - SAGEMCOM SAX1V1S - is locked down by Spectrum so you cannot change the band steering settings, which seems to be the cause of my Sonos issues.  So I will likely be buying a router and give this one back to Spectrum… but at least that should save me $5 a month!

In my case, the Sonos devices have no issue connecting to the router, presumably on the 2.4Ghz band.  The problem is really a disconnect between the Sonos “network” and the phone app, and seems to occur when my phone connects on the 5Ghz band, then I can’t “connect” to any of the Sonos devices.  As a temporary workaround, it seems like when this occurs, I can temporarily shut off the phone wifi, and turn it back on.  Usually everything then connects… at least for a while. PITA, but at least I can select music again until I get a new router.

Hope this helps someone else with this issue.

Thanks, let us know what router you do get and share if what special configuration changes you need to do. I’m shopping around but still hesitant to pull the trigger. :-) 

Badge

Some routers do not allow 5GHz clients to communicate with 2.4Ghz clients. If this is your situation, when the phone signs-in on 5Ghz it cannot communicate with SONOS, but if the phone signs-in on 2.4GHz it is available to the SONOS system.

So how do you force your phone to sign in on the 2.4GHz band? 

You would need to give different SSID’s (WiFi name) and passwords to 2.4 and 5GHz segments. My understanding is that this is not possible with some of the SPECTRUM routers, nor is it possible to change the setting that blocks communication between 2.4 and 5GHz segments.

The phone will automatically pick the ‘best’ WiFI. Potentially you could carry the phone to an area not covered by 5GHz as the phone starts up, but this would be a very fragile arrangement because if the phone ever renegotiates its connection, it will again pick ‘best’ at that moment.

Hey - hope this helps someone. 

I just upgraded from AT&T to Spectrum. It worked fine on AT&T, older router. The new spectrum router automatically routes your phone to 5g when available. That’s why you can’t connect Sonos to your router, because you have to be on 2.4ghz to pair the devices. 

FIX: call spectrum and tell them your issue, most know what to do already. if they don’t, ask them to connect your phone (or table or whatever you’re using to pair the devices) to 2.4ghz for an hour, which they will do. 

If you are coming from upgrading from a different service or router, you will need to factory reset your speakers or it will not work. 

Within that hour, pair your devices to the network. It should work fine now because you’re on 2.4ghz. I’m messaging within this hour, so i’ve still yet to test if it works once my phone reverts back to 5g. I’m sure it does, since I’m not trying to pair devices any longer. 

Hope this helps. 

I don’t quite understand. You should never, ever need to factory reset your system, unless at the direction of Sonos employees directly. Moving to a new service/router is covered in the new router - installation instructions FAQ. 

I previously went from AT&T to Spectrum, in neither case was I impressed with the provided hardware, so I used their equipment as a ‘modem’, and set up my own router connected to their gateway device. Had zero issues on either, other than Spectrum going down frequently. AT&T was much more stable a connection. 

UPDATE: my phone has reverted back to 5g and the sonos still works.

The reason I had to factory reset my sonos is that when trying to pair to the new wifi, they were still stuck on the old “system” and router. Do what works for you, just giving you my experience.

Happy listening. 

Badge

I had it consistent but now with the latest Sonos app update all is bad now!