Answered

Speaker and Room naming

Badge

Hi everyone,

I have a massed a bunch of speakers mainly SL1’s and a few ARC’s and subs. My question is naming the speakers and rooms. I have a room say “Garage” and in it is 4 SL1’s one each corner of the room and a sub and a arc.  How would you go about naming them all and setting up the room? I’m just getting confused a bit on the differences of the hierarchy.

Then the subs seem to disappear from the main app is that because it’s already added to the room? 

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 5 January 2024, 03:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

It depends on how everything is set up. Are any of the One SLs set up as stereo pairs? Which speaker is the Sub bonded to? Are you using any of the One SLs as surround speakers for the Arc?

Badge

No I haven’t set them up as stereo pairs yet, the sub is bonded to the Arc.  I’d like to use them as surround sound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

A “room” is a speaker or a set of speakers. That can therefore be just one speaker, or a stereo-pair, or a soundbar with surrounds. Any of these combinations can also include a Sub. Since the room name is just a means of identifying them in the app you could have your Arc, Sub and surrounds in Garage1 and a stereo-pair of One SL’s as Garage2. Or you could equally call them Red and Blue, but a name with a meaning results in a system that is more easily manageable. 

No I haven’t set them up as stereo pairs yet, the sub is bonded to the Arc.  I’d like to use them as surround sound.

You can use 2 of the One SLs for surround sound.  You can’t add 4.  You can’t setup a 2nd room in the Sonos app for the other 2 speakers, placing them in the same room physically, but Sonos will treat them as an entirely different room.

Within Sonos, a room can plan separate audio at a separate volume.  You can group with other rooms to play the same audio if you want.  When playing streaming music, that audio will be in sync.  For TV audio, the room connected to the TV will play immediately to match video, but other rooms grouped with that room will be slightly delayed.  That creates an echo effect that is usually undesirable if the Sonos rooms are in the same physical room.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You can then set up sets of speakers as groups, so Garage1 and Garage2 above could be defined as a group called Garage. 

Badge

Ok so If I don’t want surround just the same sound from each speaker. Do I just make pairs and call them Garage Rear & Garage Front , then make a group Garage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Ok so If I don’t want surround just the same sound from each speaker. Do I just make pairs and call them Garage Rear & Garage Front , then make a group Garage?

As I already said, you can have individual speakers if that’s what you want, or stereo pairs.  

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Badge

Geee Thanks Nik, for the advice and warm welcome to the forum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you set them up as two stereo Pairs you will, when Grouped two playing your left channel and two playing your right channel. You may or may not like that in your garage. I didn’t.

If you set them up as four Sonos Rooms and Group them all four will play both left and right channels. That gives you a much more even sound across a big space. I liked this setup.

For surround sound you need a home theater speaker / Amp to cover the front channels and you could use two of your SLs as surrounds. If you then tried to Group the other SLs you’d get sound delayed by 75 ms from the theater set.

Badge

If you set them up as two stereo Pairs you will, when Grouped two playing your left channel and two playing your right channel. You may or may not like that in your garage. I didn’t.

If you set them up as four Sonos Rooms and Group them all four will play both left and right channels. That gives you a much more even sound across a big space. I liked this setup.

For surround sound you need a home theater speaker / Amp to cover the front channels and you could use two of your SLs as surrounds. If you then tried to Group the other SLs you’d get sound delayed by 75 ms from the theater set.

That’s perfect, just was I was looking for. Thanks Stanley, have a Happy & Healthy New Year