Answered

Sonos system won’t connect to new home wifi network

• 21 January 2024
  • 17 replies

My Sonos system won’t connect to my new home wifi network. The app prompts the update but then it is unable to complete the change.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 January 2024, 18:34

View original

17 replies

Have you followed the instructions in the new router - installation instructions FAQ?

The easiest thing to do is to temporarily connect one main speaker to your new router with an Ethernet cable. 

We have had a Sonos system (2 Ones, Beam, and Connect) for several years.  We have recently changed our internet provider and cannot reconnect.  We have followed all of the directions, but keep getting messages that the system cannot reconnect. It doesn’t seem to be able to factory reset.  And the Chat service is not, in fact 24/7 as claimed.  How can we get this system to work?

For anyone having similar issues I suggest that you refrain from Factoy Reset without consult because it rarely resolves fundamental issues and causes a lot of extra work.

In this case I suggest temporarily wiring a unit to the network, then giving the new WiFi details.

This was partially helpful, and allowed me to reconnect  (and reposition) three out of four of the components.  For the last one (one of the two Ones), I temporarily wired it to the router, and it showed up on the system and functioned.  But when I tried to move it back to the location where it has been, it then “disappeared.”   The new router is far more powerful than the old system, so this makes no sense.

This was partially helpful, and allowed me to reconnect  (and reposition) three out of four of the components.  For the last one (one of the two Ones), I temporarily wired it to the router, and it showed up on the system and functioned.  But when I tried to move it back to the location where it has been, it then “disappeared.”   The new router is far more powerful than the old system, so this makes no sense.

With a Sonos device wired to the router, goto ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ and use the ‘Update Networks’ feature to scan your system.. select the ‘missing’ device and follow the onscreen instructions to add the new WiFi credentials (SSID/Password) to the speaker and your system and then all should then run on the local WiFi signal when you uncable the wired device. Give it about 5 minutes to switchover, or reboot any speakers if they do initially go missing again. 

Hope that sorts the issue for you.

Whats obscene about sonos connectivity is the complete lack of simplicity. Sure it works great once then it goes for crap. Registration and connectivity issues ARE KNOW ISSUES! There is no excuse for a high price product like this, should require any of  the multitude of fixes listed in these threads. The fix should be press this button WPS speaker to network additional speakers activate sonos network. Thousands of devices work just fine following this process everyday.

Dont reset itll cause you nothing but grief LOL. Wifi connection failures? WTH? Speaker reg failures, Come on! Use the APP on a PC, forces the use of the phone. Ridiculous! The need for an account? Data mining much? Many professional AV companies are starting to recommend not using sonos. Even better, delete your account, we’ll keep it active for a while just in case. JC!  There are many bugs with the setup process and questionable business ethics SONOS refuses to address! And before you pipe in with your my product works great, there are a few thousand with not so great experiences. 

FIX YOUR SOFTWARE AND DO AWAY WITH ACCOUNTS!

It’s odd. I’ve set up multiple systems over the last 10 or 15 years, and haven’t had a single issue. I wonder why your experience is so substantially different than mine?

It’s odd. I’ve set up multiple systems over the last 10 or 15 years, and haven’t had a single issue. I wonder why your experience is so substantially different than mine?

Right? Then you contact support, they read the script and at the end give the must be your ISP. Sure that must be it.

I’ve contacted support three times over the years. Every time, they’ve been helpful. Sometimes they weren’t quite sure why, as it’s hard to hire engineers for a front line customer service job, but each person I talked to tried very hard to assist me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@outofstate Why not make use of the people offering up their time for free to help others, instead of wasting their time by just ranting and scattering accusations here and on other places on the community like Recently I have been having a number of issues with my Sonos system | Sonos Community

Could you describe your problem and your set up for us?

The only way to not have problems with Sonos is not buying one. It works well when you’re over the 5hr product setup but having to call, email, go buy an ethernet cable, connect, and reconnect, and then being told you need a new internet service provider to get a speaker work is ridiculous. None of my 4 smart TVs have had any issue on the same wifi. Some how two Play 1 speakers can’t even connect to a simple wifi. And the worst part? None of them have bluetooth, so you are stuck with an expensive paper weight until you get a new ISP.

That’s an odd position. Most of us have had stable Sonos systems for years and years. 

I’d imagine none of your four smart TVs need to constantly communicate amongst themselves in order to function, like Sonos does.

Certainly no PLAY:1s have Bluetooth, but there are a plethora of speakers that are much newer that do. 

…so you are stuck with an expensive paper weight until you get a new ISP.

…or you can simply ‘bridge’ the ISP-provided router🤔?

That’s if the existing router maybe does not handle SSDP multicast broadcasts too well, or it falls over when it comes to ‘proxied’ IP addresses, assuming you maybe have some SonosNet-incapable devices.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Best way to connect to a new WiFi is don’t 

All my wireless and wired devices connect to my eero mesh WiFi device and when I change isp all I do is put the new router in bridge mode( if that isn’t possible disable the WiFi) then plug my eero main box into the isp supplied box

i have run my eero system for 6 years without issue and I don’t need to worry about changing passwords on my devices all my Sonos devices are connected on sonosnet apart from the roams and moves never had any connection issues unless the ISP has outages 

Right? Then you contact support, they read the script and at the end give the must be your ISP. Sure that must be it.

Called last night.  Was told exactly that - call your ISP.  They can help you with wifi.  I connected to the old wifi router (still powered up, use it for troubleshooting) with my phone, updated the SONOS Port (which for some reason was connecting to the old router).  After the update it immediately reverted back with all associated SONOS Amps to the new wifi router (which has been installed for 6 months).  It took 2 minutes to fix, yet Support and their 10 minute script repeatedly tells me to call my ISP.

SONOS, if after a power outage, your Port product reverts to a wifi previously used, you have an OS problem in your software.  Applying an update, and the Port connects to the most recent wifi?  Lame.

I am having the same issue and the same complaint. If your Wifi network changes it shouldn’t be so difficult simply to update the wifi settings through the app. I have the Sonos2 app on an android phone. I have tried connecting my Play 5 into my new wifi router. I tried creating a new system. It doesn’t work. I am just going to ditch Sonos and buy a couple JBL bluetooth speakers and save myself a continuous headache.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

How would you update information held on a device that has no screen and with which the user has just broken the only form of communication - the old wifi? Especially on older Sonos devices that do not use bluetooth for set up?

I think it is possible to put the credentials of the new wifi in the system while it is stile connected to the old wifi. This does mean you need to put these in before breaking the connection with the old router or changing credentials on existing wifi..

Or you use my preferred method, set the new router with the credentials of the old one.