Sonos System Pushing Me to the Brink of Mental Collapse

• 26 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Not sure where to begin. Moved recently to Mexico, but am armed services so have had my system work in many countries. 2 Moves, 4 Ones, 1 Five and 2 Threes. I ethernet wired a speaker to the modem/router (and this speaker I can’t connect for some reason). In the last few weeks, my system has been a constant maddening nightmare: every day a speaker or two drops, rejoining them takes multiple tries to connect, trying to connect a speaker a few feet from the modem says it can’t be found, etc. Not sure if it is relevant but have a few extenders throughout quarters and the signal is good throughout. On my S2 phone app, the system drops frequently. On my desktop app, the system can’t be found. I have one network. Not sure if this is relevant either but I originally set up the system my first day and since then had the modem replaced, although it has worked at times with this new modem. Do you good people recommend erasing the whole system and starting again? Not even sure how to do that. Or converting to wireless? Thanks so much, I don’t know where to start, and it’s literally driving me nuts. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Do not reset anything!  It does nothing a reboot won’t do. and it erases valuable diagnostic info.  First off, wire the unit which is closest to your main router hub using an Ethernet cable.  Wait a few minutes until the Settings > System > About My System section shows “WM:0” for each unit.  Then flush your network of any duplicate IP addresses by doing the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.

@jgatie- Thanks so much. Can’t wait to get out of work and go back and try this. Does it matter if many of my speakers are not “found” before I try this process? Thanks again. I can’t tell you how I appreciate it.

@jgatie- Thanks so much. Can’t wait to get out of work and go back and try this. Does it matter if many of my speakers are not “found” before I try this process? Thanks again. I can’t tell you how I appreciate it.

Not being found is a symptom of duplicate IP addresses.  The refresh should clear those up. 

OK, @jgatie my friend. I got home and plugged the speaker (a 3) closest to the router into the router with a cable. I got the first picture. When I clicked “let’s fix it”, I got a message that said “we found multiple sonos systems. let’s confirm the one you want to update.” and on the next screen 4 sonos systems to choose from 

(1) 2 moves and 4 play 1s

(2) a play 3 close to the router

(3) a play 3 plugged into the router

(4) my play 5. 

I assume I select #3, and then I get this, to which I click continue and that yes it’s an ethernet cable connection, but then i get, this with the ability to go no further:

Appreciate any advice you can give jgatie and friends ?!

Incidentally, if I try the other play 3- the one close and not wired- it tries to connect to “sonos” and says “unable to connect to sonos.” not sure how i get to step 2 in your instructions if nothing can connect. :(

OK, @jgatie my friend. I got home and plugged the speak

When I clicked “let’s fix it”, I got a message that said “we found multiple sonos systems. let’s confirm the one you want to update.” and on the next screen 4 sonos systems to choose from 

I’m concerned about the “we found multiple sonos systems” part. Have you Factory Reset any units? I suggest that you refrain from Factory Reset without further consult.