Skip to main content

I’ve recently been gifted a Sonos Play 1 and it’s possibly the worst thing I’ve had. First I couldn’t connect to the WiFi but now that’s the least of my issues as I can no longer do anything. I’m constantly told I need to sign in as the system

owner. I have done. I’ve reset, restarted, deleted and reinstalled and still get this message. It’s not linked to the old owner. When I sign in onto Sonos online I can see that it’s been set up since middle of April when I received it but it won’t allow me to remove it or do anything. I know it’s a lot of waffle but I’m losing my mind with it.

Sonos put this problem as answered by an answer which gives their helpdesk no - they are beyond incompetent - we have over £600 of useless kit - if this isn’t fixed by them on Monday I am taking them to the small claims court

My ticket about the S2 app was closed a few hrs after I opened it…without talking to me. Things must REALLY suck at their office. 

Same issue here - spent 8 hours in an endless loop trying to update my Play1…. ‘takes several minutes’ has turned into 4 hours with the updating status stuck at ¾…woeful, very poor service from Sonos, this heavy, grey lump is about to become an expensive doorstop…

Hi we’re Sonos yknow how easy it to use a Bluetooth speaker? Well now imagine we remove that, force you to use an internet connection, demand you log into an account of which we make near impossible to sign into and then we will send out an update that you won’t be able to do because you aren’t the system owner (even though you are) We’re so sure our system is perfect we will ignore any community posts criticising us

I just don’t think it’s meant to be. I wonder how the customers who have spent £000s on a complete set up get this kind of service. Just because I have a play 1 second hand doesn’t make me any less of a customer. How can I update the bloody thing if you constantly get stuck in a loop of being told you’re not the owner. 

NEW APP UPDATE IS OUT! I haven’t tried it but will check on it when i get home. Good luck to everyone!

I’ve just managed to get my system back up and running - stopped working when I went from NBN to 5G yesterday.

some of my steps - maybe unnecessary but  . . . 

• Hardwired to new 5G modem
  • set-up Playbar
  • removed connection and joined WiFi
  • Added my Play1’s for surround

I can't recall when but somewhere in that process it forced to update - I hadnt see above post on the update

As expected all isnt 100% - the TruePlay doesnt seem to want to work now - haha - but they are all connected

Hope that helps - GL All

So with the new updated app I was excited “finally Sonos will come through” oh how naive of me. 
1. just tried to connect and nothing worked stuck in owner loop

1. factory reset speaker and deleted app
  2. reinstalled app and turned speaker on
  3. signed in
  4. found speaker
  5. connected to network
  6. update began
  7. connection dropped 
  8. opened app 
  9. click start update
  10. Sign in as owner loop
  11. go back to step 2. And repeat 5 times and shock horror…nothing works

Just to add it makes absolutely zero sense why it can’t be updated by anyone. Surely a tech company such as Sonos should be able to allow not only Bluetooth to work but also update and downgrades happen within the app without the owner? 

Damn, I had my fingers crossed for this, I’ll check it out on my system later after work.

Damn, I had my fingers crossed for this, I’ll check it out on my system later after work.

Let us know how you get on. I just keep getting stuck here. I’ve tried updating via Ethernet and wireless/hotspots. I just want someone to go “Dan press this button and it’ll work” 

Just hitting this again since Sonos has said it is answered, IT IS NOT ANSWERED

Era 100 arrived yesterday and same issues as above. Tried it all over the house and still getting the system owner issue. Incredibly frustrating when you’ve just spent 250 on a new product you can’t even use! 

My Play 5 Gen 1 still works though! 

I’m still stuck in being called an imposter and not the owner. So I have no idea what to do and Sonos seem less than interested

I think I’m genuinely done with this * speaker

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I’ve tried again, still can’t make it work. Spoke to Sonos they say they’ve escalated the problem. Not hopeful.

Mine is working now after running the update last night. I finally have music again!  

Mine is working now after running the update last night. I finally have music again!  

Did you have the “Sign in as system owner” error message looping as well?

Did you have the “Sign in as system owner” error message looping as well?

I had that error before the update, and couldn’t find my speaker on the network. Had this issue for a week, but all working well again now. 

For me the system owner issue is still very much alive and kicking unfortunately.

I have had my system for over 10 years. 
Have not been able to use my speakers for the past 2+ weeks. I wonder if it’s because my speakers are “old”?

I have gotten a bit forward re-adding my speakers to the wifi than where I was two weeks ago, but I still end up with the same issue at the end of the day: I can’t add my speakers and I’m requested to sign in as the system owner (which I solely am). 

Did anyone ever get any joy in the end? I’ve changed broadband today and now can’t get any of my speakers to work or even connect after countless attempts! 

In your router settings, change your wifi credentials (SSID/wifi name and password) back to your old WiFi credentials to fool Sonos into thinking it’s the old WiFi to which is connected. Others have had joy with this route. 

I’ve already reset my app and speakers and so I don’t think it would even recognise the old wifi. Tried to call help desk and a 55minute wait time!

I’ve already reset my app and speakers and so I don’t think it would even recognise the old wifi. Tried to call help desk and a 55minute wait time!

From what I’ve read of waiting times on here, 55 mins is a blessing…

My issue finally went away with the most recent app update and I managed to re-add my old speakers. 

I kept doing the same things as before: 

1) Check that there are no blocking firewalls. 
2) Delete my Sonos app. 

3) Factory reset speakers.

4) Download Sonos App.

5) Start adding the speakers from the app’s first “page”

And suddenly it worked and I cant listen to music again.