Sonos sub completely died

• 2 March 2023
  • 5 replies

As a big Sonos user with a variety of items, I’m majorly disappointed to find my Sonos sub completely dead and barely after two years of use.  

It’s in a safe location, never been touched once set up and now there is no power light or any sound.  I called customer service, confirmed the power cord is properly plugged in, tested different outlets and didn’t get any power, light, or sound.  They suggested I return it and buy another one.  

For the price of this product, and the quality Sonos claims to be, there is no way a sub should die on it’s own after 2 years. 

Why would I pay the high price for another when the first didn’t last?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Sorry that happened to you. That really sucks. But your case is an exception, not the rule. If the majority of Sonos products failed after a couple of years, Sonos wouldn’t be around anymore.

Was your Sub plugged into a surge protector?

@MarkC528,
I guess there’s a lot to be said for small item warranty insurance cover, given these circumstances, and paying-out for that extra period of cover for such expensive electrical items to ensure they do last well beyond a manufacturers own guarantee period.

I’d be ‘miffed’ too had I not paid out for that extra cover, so at least a device like a Sub would be covered for say 5 years, or so.

Some companies in the U.K. now sell Sonos products with a 6 year warranty, so maybe take the discount and then buy an extended warranty cover with the discount. You could also look around for a local repairer to fix the sub and keep or sell it on when it’s fixed.

Heres an example of a company that do Sonos repairs, but I’ve not ever used their repair service and I’m just posting it here ‘as an example’ and am not in any way recommending them... you may actually find a similar service near you.

https://www.isonatec.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’ve not had a Sonos failure other than CR-100 battery bloat so I live with the risk of a one year warranty, and hopefully a “pity” discount if one fails.

For Sonos given as gifts I get a 4 year warranty, usually a Square Trade, from Costco but I’ve used the Amazon one too when I wanted Amazon’s delivery instead of Sonos’ choice.

thank you. it was on a surge protector as well.  based in Minnesota so I’ll look for a local repair store if possible since it’s so expensive to buy another new one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Repair can be a bit tough as Sonos doesn’t sell parts. Sometimes you can source the needed bits on ebay or the like.