Skip to main content

sonos roam rarely works

• 7 January 2023
  • 2 replies

The roam I have has never worked correctly.  I have probably used it 6 times in a year and now it is completely dead.  From the beginning I could rarely get it to connect to anything. I even contacted sonos and they told me I needed a different charger.  Of course it's out of warranty and has been a total waste of money.  I've had it charging now for two hours and it won't even come on.  No light at all anywhere on this speaker.  I have multiple sonos speakers but after this I will never buy Sonos again. 

2 replies

It sounds like you are using the wrong charger. You need a ‘PD certified’ charger with a power-output of 10w-15w … I suggest using a minimum power output of 5v x 2A, but if you’ve left the lithium-ion battery uncharged/flat for a long period, you just might have ruined the battery (perhaps) and the device itself. 
The initial step is to get your hands on a compatible ’certified’ charger with the correct power-output.

Roam charger recommendation.

I agree that the battery may no longer function. A fully discharged lithium-ion cell can become a fire hazard. Therefore, if discharged too far, the batteries permanently lock out as a safety measure.

Many of us were brought up using NiCad batteries. These batteries could be damaged by over charging and we were taught to remove the charger when the battery was fully charged. Some poorly designed NiCad battery systems would benefit from occasional full discharges. Lithium-ion batteries are the opposite. They love being kept fully charged and fail when fully discharged.

In general, batteries will be viable for a certain number of full charge-discharge cycles. Shallow discharges are less stressful and you’ll get more life out of the battery if you don’t allow it to fully discharge.