Answered

Sonos Roam forces other devices off system

• 18 November 2022
  • 7 replies

I just bought a Sonos Roam to add to my current system of Ray, Ikea Symfonisk Lamp and Ikea Symfonisk Frame.

The current system has worked without flaws for 3 months, no problem setting it up. I easily connected my new Roam to the system, and it worked fine the first evening.

However, today it is completely broken. First, the Symfonisk Lamp just disappeared from the system. After a lot of hassle resetting it, I managed to get re-add it, but then the Roam stopped working, and eventually disappeared. I reconnected it, then the entire System disappeared from my app. After cutting power to all units and restarting my phone, all devices were apparently working. However, now only 3 of the 4 devices will play at any given time. It seems like the unit I am farthest away from will simply stop playing, but start playing again a few seconds after I approach it, and other units than the Roam randomly disappears and reappears in the “system” section of my app.

What is happening here? Why is the Roam disabling other units like this?

icon

Best answer by John B 18 November 2022, 11:56

View original

7 replies

Hi, two things happening at the same time does not necessarily mean one has caused the other.   The Roam is not disabling the other speakers.

This sounds like some sort of networking problem.  Please tell us about your network and Sonos setup.  Just a plain old router?  Mesh? Extenders etc?

Any of your Sonos devices wired?

What sources are you playing and which controller(s) are you using?

Yeah, I understand causality and correlation :) But I also am aware of Occam’s Razor, and when a system which is working without flaws for 3 months, then becomes unstable when I add a new device to the system that raises a few flags. Particularly as it is now working flawlessly again as long as I have powered off the Roam. Problem kicks off again whenever I power on or otherwise reconnect it.

I also suspect network problems, but problems triggered by adding the Roam.

My network is a relatively simple setup. I have a router with a wireless setup, on the first floor, one extender setup at the ground floor, extending the network. All 3 (plus Roam) are connected wirelessly to the network. 

The system is running 14.19, S2, all devices on version 14.19. 

I am using an iPhone 12, running the latest OS, with the latest version of the Sonos app, on the same WIFI as the devices. Streaming is done through Spotify. 

I also have an Ikea Dirigera HUB setup, with a remote wireless controller for volume/start/stop etc, but I have disconnected that completely when doing testing.

Thanks for your reply.  I will just mention to start with that Sonos does not support networks with wireless range extenders.  That doesn’t necessarily mean that Sonos won’t work with extenders, of course.

But maybe initially we could rule that out by turning off the extender and seeing what happens when the Roam is introduced?  (Although I’m not sure how turning off the extender will affect other speakers.)

deleted

I’ll give it a try to rule it out and get back.

Hi,

Short update. Disabling the extender did not help. But after doing a full reset of every device and setting the system up again things seems to be stable. 

Thanks for the suggestions and assistance. 

Thanks for posting back.  I hope you don't have any more problems.