Answered

Sonos Play:5 Gen1 no power

• 31 December 2020
  • 8 replies

I have a fairly old Sonos 5 Gen 1 (and an entire house wired with Sonos - eight roooms with Sonos amps, subs etc.) The 5 shows no power. I have tried multiple leads, fuses, sockets, everything except a defibrillator, but it is totally dead. Rigour mortis is setting in.

Looking online it seems that many customers experienced a short life expectancy with 1st Gen Sonos 5’s and some have had their units replaced or received a discount to replace or upgrade. Does anyone have experience of this?

icon

Best answer by Paul A 31 December 2020, 18:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MaffB.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I would like to share some information to help out.

From this point, I would recommend calling our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps or possible product replacement. It is best to contact our technical support team so they can dig deeper and asses what would be the better step to take and what is causing the issue as it may be an internal hardware fault.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everyone can help you out.

Thanks,

Thanks @Paul A. I will call them when open again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @MaffB.

Thanks for the update and immediate response. We would highly appreciate it if you could keep this thread updated on what was the outcome of contacting our technical support team so other members of the community who might have the same issue as yours may find this thread handy.

Please let us know how it goes and keep us posted.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Looking online it seems that many customers experienced a short life expectancy with 1st Gen Sonos 5’s and some have had their units replaced or received a discount to replace or upgrade. Does anyone have experience of this?

Not sure where you see this. The Gen 1 devices have been pretty amazing, frankly. Mine are a decade old or so, still going strong. A Gen 1 device is between 5 and 11 years old, which is positively ancient by today’s electronics standards.

@MaffB Definitely interested in what help technical support is able to provide.  Today I went to play some music on my Sonos 5 (Gen 1) and I am encountering the same exact issue as you.  No matter what, I cannot get the unit to power on.

Not sure where you see this. The Gen 1 devices have been pretty amazing, frankly. Mine are a decade old or so, still going strong. A Gen 1 device is between 5 and 11 years old, which is positively ancient by today’s electronics standards.

Just Googling “Sonos 5 no power” brought up a number of posts from this forum and others, so it does seem to be an issue. To be fair, I see that a number of people say that Sonos either replaced recent units or offered a discount on a replacement of older units. To be even more fair, the unit is “ancient” - seven years old - so I think it is time to upgrade.

Badge +1

Just Googling “Sonos 5 no power” brought up a number of posts from this forum and others, so it does seem to be an issue. To be fair, I see that a number of people say that Sonos either replaced recent units or offered a discount on a replacement of older units. To be even more fair, the unit is “ancient” - seven years old - so I think it is time to upgrade.

No such thing as time to upgrade.

With one of my Gen1 Play 5s, a firmware update killed it.

I know this thread is a month old or so, but I tried to get onto support, but was on hold for a while. I ended up deciding that I fancied a Move, rather than a repaired old 5, so I went through the trade-in scheme and sent the old 5 back. The new Move is great.