Sonos play 5 (gen1) blinking red light

• 3 November 2022
  • 6 replies

bought a used speaker. When I got home and plugged it in it just starts flashing red. I have read that it’s due to not being connected for over 30 mins. As soon as powered on it starts flashing red. I have tried unplugging waiting 10 sec then plugging back while holding the mute button. Doesn’t do anything tried multiple times. Tried connecting straight to router with Ethernet cord can’t get it to do anything either. Took it apart and tried seeing if any burn marks on board it all looks good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

bought a used speaker. When I got home and plugged it in it just starts flashing red. I have read that it’s due to not being connected for over 30 mins. As soon as powered on it starts flashing red. I have tried unplugging waiting 10 sec then plugging back while holding the mute button. Doesn’t do anything tried multiple times. Tried connecting straight to router with Ethernet cord can’t get it to do anything either. Took it apart and tried seeing if any burn marks on board it all looks good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

Perhaps see this link for the meaning of the status LED lights: 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226

You could just try a factory reset, as outlined here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096

Hi Ken thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the factory reset can’t seem to get it to work. Tried multiple times doesn’t seem to want to work. Doesn’t change the flashing red at all. 

Hi Ken thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the factory reset can’t seem to get it to work. Tried multiple times doesn’t seem to want to work. Doesn’t change the flashing red at all. 

Sounds rather like a hardware fault if the speaker is factory reset and you do not get a flashing green light to perform the setup. Maybe a bad memory module issue perhaps (just a guess)?

I’m thinking the same thing unfortunately. I’ll take it fully apart see what I can find. Nothing to loose. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Who did you buy from? Can you take it back?

Might it be a speaker from the days when Sonos was “bricking” devices when an upgrade credit was used?

Bought it from used from a person. So buyer beware I guess I didn’t plug them in when buying just took the guys word. I didn’t now Sonos was doing that. It is possible I guess. That would be super annoying