Sonos Play:5 (Gen 1 ) stopping randomly when playing Spotify

• 1 January 2024
  • 13 replies

Sonos Play:5 (Gen 1 ) stopping randomly for 5-10 sec when playing Spotify but works fine with Tidal. I have done everything Sonos support suggested. Sonos support said that it is a internal memory problem (to small memory for high-res streams). But Spotify is far from high-res and Tidal works fine.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @niclas_jonsson, welcome to the Sonos Community!

If our support team have mentioned that it’s an internal memory problem, then that’s likely the case as they should be able to see and there isn’t anything the community can do for you.

I would suggest wiring the Play:5 Gen 1 if you haven’t already as this can help with this issue, or reaching out to support again with diagnostics after the issue occurs for further troubleshooting.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for your answer. If Tidal high-res (16 bit) works fine why shouldn’t Spotify? Many users have the same problem if you google it. The Spotify-integration and/or Spotify connect needs an update is my guess. I have an old Blue Node streamer that works fine too. Please fix this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @niclas_jonsson,

I would also expect it to be all services, so it is strange that Tidal works fine while Spotify doesn’t.

I use Spotify with my Sonos system and don’t experience any dropouts or loss of audio, it’s more likely to be network related or an issue with the Play:5. I can take a further look into this if you can submit a diagnostics when the issue next occurs and reply here with the confirmation number. I’ve had a look on your system but the last diagnostics I can see is from a few months ago.

Hi all, this has been bugging me for ages - but I have found a workaround which I hope works for you too - if you have 2 speakers.

I have the Gen 1 Play 5, Play 1 and Play 2 speakers - so I’m invested in the old Sonos tech. 

My Living room Play 5 speaker kept stopping intermittently when playing through Spotify.

To fix this - I opened my Sonos App - set Kitchen (Play 1) speaker as my main speaker and then linked it to my Living room (Play 5).  Then I opened Spotify and linked it to the two speakers through the “Connect to a device bit”. The music now plays seamlessly in my kitchen and my Living room.  If I don’t want to hear it in the kitchen, I just mute it. Not sure why this works as the Kitchen speaker if further away from my main router, but I’m just happy I have seamless music now.

For others, I would say - connect up to another Sonos speaker (one not glitching) and then link it to the one you want.  You can always mute if you don’t want it to play elsewhere.  I hope this makes sense and hope it gives others a little joy.

Jamie, here is my confirmation number: 1500655017

Here is the latest code: 1599150626.

It stops quite often now…. Thank you for your help.

@Jamie A 

Here is the latest code: 1599150626.

It stops quite often now…. Thank you for your help.

@Jamie A 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Staff aren’t here often so calling in your diagnostic is usually a better option than hoping they have time to drop in here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @niclas_jonsson

This slipped past me originally because I wasn’t here, but I’d agree with @Stanley_4 that getting in touch with support is the fastest method to resolving your issue, as our agents have the tools available to troubleshoot this with you and remote into your system if needed.

From what I can see in the diagnostics, there are a lot of sync errors, which can cause stuttering and dropouts. Your Play:5 has been online for a while, so I’d recommend rebooting your network and Sonos system by powering off your Router and Play:5 for around 1-2 minutes, then powering them back on. I don’t see any issues with the Play:5 from the diagnostics, so it’s more likely to be a network issues

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, wire the Play:5 via Ethernet as I suggested in my original post and test the system while wired. If the dropouts stop, then either keeping the Play:5 wired, or changing your wireless channel if you can’t keep the speaker wired, is what I would recommend. 

You should also make sure that the Play:5 isn’t in close proximity to other devices that can cause wireless interference, which you can view on our support article on reducing wireless interference.

If, after trying everything suggested here, you’re still having issues. I would recommend reaching back out to support with your diagnostics reference.

I hope this information helps!

@Jamie A  Thanks for your answer. Please read my first post. No network problem and the Play 5 works fine with Tidal. I have tried to connect it with a cable but it did not solve the problem.

What did Sonos support say, when you called them, per @Jamie A ‘s post?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @niclas_jonsson,

There’s nothing to suggest it can’t be a network issue and I think it’s more likely than not, so it’s definitely worth looking into the network even if it’s just to rule out it being network related. As Sonos needs a fast and stable connection, you’ll notice more often when dropouts and stuttering occur or when the system picks up on interference opposed to when a device like a phone or tablet does.

Unless the Play:5 itself has a hardware issue, then I think looking into your network is the best next step, as a specific music service integration shouldn’t cause dropouts unless there is a service outage.

If you still haven’t performed the network and Sonos system reboot, try that first. A lot of community users have noticed that duplicate IP addresses can cause conflicts with Sonos. So if a reboot does help, then looking into setting a static IP for your Play:5 may help reduce the stuttering and dropouts.

If you’ve tried what I’ve mentioned in previous posts or support have already recommended it, then reaching out to support would be the best way to continue troubleshooting, as they have access to more tools than the community moderators and community users.