Answered

Sonos Play:1 & 3 - causes internet connection loss

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 20 replies

Hi, I have a Play:3 and 3 x Play:1, originally connected via wifi but we have recently changed our router and ISP. Initially, we would get repeated internet dropouts but there was still a wifi signal present. By a process of elimination, we figured that the Sonos was causing the internet dropouts so I connected a single Play: 1 via ethernet then turned the power back on to the others. For a while this was ok but quickly we lost internet connections again whilst still maintaining a detectable wireless signal. Can someone please point to some help somewhere with a simple to follow set of instructions as to how I can solve this as at the moment, I have several hundred pounds worth of Sonos that is useless to me.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 30 May 2023, 23:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Badge

My ISP suggested connecting a “switch” to the router - what on earth is a “switch”?

Thanks.

A ‘switch’ is just a multi-port device. You’d want to get an unmanaged switch (like this) rather than a managed switch, they’re both cheaper and have the ‘smarts’ in them to avoid a network storm.

I do have to say that I’m not sure I understand where they’re going with this. It doesn’t make sense to me as a ‘solution’, but then I’m not privy to the hard data I assume they’re looking at on their own device. 

Ugh. I’m in the US, so that Amazon link is a US based one, but you should find the similar type of device at your local retailer, or even Amazon UK.

And frankly, the more I think about it, the less I like this as any ‘solution’ at all. I’d ask for second level support, just to get a second opinion, it really seems weird to me. 

@skids,

Was everything working okay with your previous router/ISP? - if so, then it sounds like there is a compatibility issue with your new router. I would perhaps ‘bridge’ that router and just add your own router instead, effectively turning the ISP provided device into a modem.

Perhaps check the Sonos device-incompatibility list here too:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/incompatible-network-hardware

Badge

@skids,

Was everything working okay with your previous router/ISP? - if so, then it sounds like there is a compatibility issue with your new router. I would perhaps ‘bridge’ that router and just add your own router instead, effectively turning the ISP provided device into a modem.

Perhaps check the Sonos device-incompatibility list here too:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/incompatible-network-hardware

Thanks Ken, seems my router is incompatible but with a solution. I tried ethernet before and it didn’t seem to work but I’ll give it another go.

How do I tell which channel the Sonos is working on so I can ensure it is separated from the router wifi channel?

After wiring one of your Sonos players only - first remove the WiFi credentials from the Sonos App. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/remove-a-wifi-network-from-your-sonos-system

Then, in ‘Settings/System/Network’ in the App set the SonosNet channel to 1, 6 or 11 and also set your router WiFi  so it’s on a different channel (also use 1, 6 or 11). So your router can be on channel 6 for example and your SonosNet channel on either channel 1 or 11. 

Then reboot your ‘other’ wireless Sonos speaker and just see how that works for you.

Badge

Well that didn’t last long. Ethernet speaker was fine, didn’t cause any dropouts so turned on the other speakers, checked channels (6 for Sonos, 7 for router) then within 15 mins we lost the internet again.

Any thoughts?

Well that didn’t last long. Ethernet speaker was fine, didn’t cause any dropouts so turned on the other speakers, checked channels (6 for Sonos, 7 for router) then within 15 mins we lost the internet again.

Any thoughts?

Yes, my thoughts are you are using an overlapping channel on your router - change it to channel 1 or 11 and ensure you remove the WiFi credentials from the Sonos App.

To assist you further still, set the 2.4Ghz band channel-width on the router to 20Mhz only.

Badge

Any thoughts?

Yes, my thoughts are you are using an overlapping channel on your router - change it to channel 1 or 11 and ensure you remove the WiFi credentials from the Sonos App.

To assist you further still, set the 2.4Ghz band channel-width on the router to 20Mhz only.

Moved the Sonos to Ch 11 and re-connected the ethernet then a few hours later one of the Play: 1’s. Seems to be working for now but we’ll wait and see.

Is there something cheaper than a £179 speaker that I can plug into the router to create the Sonos Net? It’s a waste of a perfectly good speaker right now cos the router is in the wrong room for our Sonos setup.

Moved the Sonos to Ch 11 and re-connected the ethernet then a few hours later one of the Play: 1’s. Seems to be working for now but we’ll wait and see.

Is there something cheaper than a £179 speaker that I can plug into the router to create the Sonos Net? It’s a waste of a perfectly good speaker right now cos the router is in the wrong room for our Sonos setup.

The Sonos Boost is made just for this purpose.

Badge

Ok, so found an old Boost, connected via ethernet to the router (took ages and lots of recycling of power and Sonos app). I have removed the wifi details from the Sonos app, turned on all the other speakers and all but one of them indicate WM:0, which I believe means they are connect via the Sonos Net to the Boost, but one speaker is stubbornly refusing to connect, it shows WM:1. I’ve recycled the power to no avail.

Thoughts?

It must still have the WiFi credentials stored on the speaker are my first thoughts - check the app ‘network’ settings and if the credentials are present, then remove them.

Badge

No networks showing under Manage Networks. Is there a way to look specifically at this speaker?

No networks showing under Manage Networks. Is there a way to look specifically at this speaker?

It might be just as easy to factory reset it and add it back to your ‘existing’ Sonos system using (Settings/System) ‘add product’ … save you bother of looking to solve it in other ways. 

Badge

It might be just as easy to factory reset it and add it back to your ‘existing’ Sonos system using (Settings/System) ‘add product’ … save you bother of looking to solve it in other ways. 

That appears to have solved it, speaker factory reset and now shows WM:0. 

Sonos working all weekend along with internet.

Thanks for all your help everyone.