Answered

Sonos One keeps losing connection with iphone app

• 10 December 2022
  • 17 replies

I have had a Sonos surround system comprising Arc, Sonos One SL, and Sub. Recently I purchased another Sonos One for a different room. All these products  are connected via wifi. I go through the setup process and add the new Sonos One. But say after a day or two, the iphone Sonos app indicates that Sonos One is “not connected” and I have to repeat the whole connection sequence again including factory reseting Sonos One. I update the iphone Sonos app, disabled Private Wifi as some other community post suggested but this loss of connection keeps happening repeatedly over past couple of weeks. Any pointers on what could be wrong here?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by RDRDRD 12 December 2022, 03:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

This strated happening to me with the latest iOS update. I actually intentionally unplug my SL1 since I don’t use it that often. Now I have to go through the “fix connection” procedure. I don’t reset or change anything, just do the multi-minute auto fix procedure.

Any chance you have a ‘mesh’ network? 

Two suggestions: first, refresh your network by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to come back up, then plug back in your Sonos devices.

Second, at least temporarily, try wiring one of your Sonos devices to your router with an Ethernet cable. Do not try to use a surround speaker or Sub for this, as they don’t connect in the same way. Do some testing. If that resolves the dropout, you’ll need to figure out if you can maintain that temporary wired device, or possible introduce a BOOST to your system, or just another speaker close enough to the router to stay wired. 

More information might be helpful in narrowing down what solution would work for your situation.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I don’t have a mesh. My network is all Ubiquity Unifi: routers, two switches, and two wifi access points. I haven’t re-booted it, and I’m positive that won’t change anything, but I’ll try.

It’s not a connectivity issue. If I let all my sonos things boot up, the “repair” process works fine. The problem seems more like the recent change where devices that are unplugged are considered to be not communicating.

Also the issue where it complains about not finding a “Connect” device that I haven’t owned for a year, and wouldn’t work anyway on my S2 system.

@robokitty,
Maybe give this a try (if not done already)… I’ve seen this mentioned in the community here in the past -

• From the Unifi Network Application interface, click on the Settings icon from the left side menu.
  • Click on the Network tab. 
  • Select the network Sonos is connected to. Click on the Default network name if there is more than one. 
  • Scroll down to Advance Configuration, and click on Manual.
  • Check IGMP Snooping and Multicast DNS. 
  • Click on Apply Changes and allow up to 3 minutes for the settings to update.

Also are the switches managed, or unmanaged? If managed, then see if this link may assist you to configure their STP settings:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/configure-stp-settings-to-work-with-sonos

Hope that assists to resolve your issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths I’ll check that out. When I first set up the network I followed the STP instructions from Sonos, as the switches are managed (and do have per-port STP settings).

Has anything changed network-wise with Sonos in the last few years, other than no longer requiring obsolete SMB settings?

Also, I’ll try your config stuff, but I’m not hopeful, since a) this network has worked perfectly with Sonos for many years, and b) it’s saying something isn’t connected when it’s turned off. Of course it’s not connected then, and the idea that it would need to go through a repair process to re-attach… seems odd.

Has anything changed network-wise with Sonos in the last few years, other than no longer requiring obsolete SMB settings?

I don’t think anything has changed - not that I’ve seen mentioned, but if the issues persist you might want to consider using a SonosNet setup instead and see if that makes a difference by wiring one Sonos product to the router and removing the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App Network settings (assuming you have no Sonos portable devices, that is). Just keep the primary device well away from the router (one metre at least) and use a SonosNet channel not in use by your router.

Also, I’ll try your config stuff, but I’m not hopeful, since a) this network has worked perfectly with Sonos for many years, and b) it’s saying something isn’t connected when it’s turned off. Of course it’s not connected then, and the idea that it would need to go through a repair process to re-attach… seems odd.

Yes I’ve seen posts on the multicast settings, so definitely worth trying that first.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I thought I was already using sonos net? I have my boost directly to a switch, of course. My playbase is always on, and is wired. I think I need wifi so that my ipad can control the sonos system, right? When I go to the “network” tab of the contoller app it lists SonosNet Channel as channel 1, but perhaps it would say that even if using wifi?

Unsure what to do here. How do you tell which protocol your system is using?

I updated my network settings to use your suggested IGM snoop, as well as multicast dns. They were both off. I re-booted the USG (router). 

This fixed nothing. I unplugged and replugged my play5, then it become disconnected and  sonos couldn’t find it. 

In frustration, I re-booted my iPad (something I actually did last night). Now it seems to be slightly less crazy.

It still complains about being unable to find a Sonos Connect. Not surprising, since I don’t have one, but why does it get so upset about that?

Anyway, is there a mater page of recommended network settings for using Sono on a Unify networks?

Thanks!

I thought you were using your WiFi to run your Sonos devices - sorry🙏I didn’t realise you were using SonosNet - that’s my misunderstanding, but if using SonosNet, I would just try wiring your boost only to the router and see if that resolves your issue. Or perhaps try all running on your WiFi signal instead (with no devices wired, setting the Boost aside, but still having the multicast settings enabled), but to do that you will need to ensure you have added the Unifi WiFi credentials to all your Sonos players. See this support page if you perhaps want to give that a try:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

I’m not aware of a master support page for Unifi and Sonos, but you may want to search the forum here for past threads.

About the Sonos ‘Connect’ you no longer have, that pops up in the App. This might be stored on one of your devices - to get rid, you might find powering off all the Sonos products (at the same time) for 30secs and bringing them back online will resolve that for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I’ll try that! tx.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

nope, I unplugged everything, even my boost. Plugged them in everything looks normal on my PC.

On my ipad it’s still remembering that phantom connect. When I let it try to find stuff, it says it can’t find the connect (which doesn’t exist). It also says it can’t find my On SL, even though it is on, and I could see it just fine on my PC and on my iPad. When I let it continue it will magically find the One SL (that it already knew about), but will “fail” to find the non-existent connnect.

nope, I unplugged everything, even my boost. Plugged them in everything looks normal on my PC.

On my ipad it’s still remembering that phantom connect. When I let it try to find stuff, it says it can’t find the connect (which doesn’t exist). It also says it can’t find my On SL, even though it is on, and I could see it just fine on my PC and on my iPad. When I let it continue it will magically find the One SL (that it already knew about), but will “fail” to find the non-existent connnect.

Assuming all is working okay on your PC/Sonos Controller App, I would perhaps look closer at your iPad/Sonos App setup.. The steps I would consider are:

1. Switch off ‘Private WiFi Address’ (MAC Spoofing) in the iOS current wireless network connection settings. (See screenshot)
  2. Switch off any VPN/Firewall/Security Software (if using on the iDevice)
  3. Perform a Sonos App reset from ‘Settings/App Preferences’. On reopening the App connect it back to the ‘existing’ Sonos System

Thanks for the responses everyone.

In my case, I have the Netgear Orbi mesh wifi. On my iphone, I have private wifi off, and vpn is disabled. 

I’ll look into the other suggestions here  though I am not sure I fully understand the proposals. I’ll also call Sonos help next week.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

In my case, I have the Netgear Orbi mesh wifi. On my iphone, I have private wifi off, and vpn is disabled. 

I’ll look into the other suggestions here  though I am not sure I fully understand the proposals. I’ll also call Sonos help next week.

As you’re using an Orbi mesh WiFi system, perhaps read this thread instead, that was started by Sonos Staff, as perhaps that might assist you:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/troubleshooting-sonos-on-wifi-6856334?postid=16520976#post16520976

Thanks Ken, I did go through this but couldnt figure out on the Orbi side on how to get to the AP mode.

I tried an experiment which seems to make a difference. Basically, I unplugged the Orbi satellite and that left just the Orbi router in place. Now the Sonos app was able to discover the Sonos One and connected to it easily. I have now reconnected the Orbi satellite  and the app still seems to be connecting to the Sonos One, as well as the rest of my Arc+Sub+Surround speakers. Lets see if this continues over the next few hours/tomorrow.

Thanks Ken, I did go through this but couldnt figure out on the Orbi side on how to get to the AP mode.

I tried an experiment which seems to make a difference. Basically, I unplugged the Orbi satellite and that left just the Orbi router in place. Now the Sonos app was able to discover the Sonos One and connected to it easily. I have now reconnected the Orbi satellite  and the app still seems to be connecting to the Sonos One, as well as the rest of my Arc+Sub+Surround speakers. Lets see if this continues over the next few hours/tomorrow.

No worries.👍 …If you do later decide to return to using your main (ISP provided?) router and want to setup the Orbi Hubs as WiFi Access points only, then don’t forget to disable the main routers WiFi adapters (recommended) and here below are the instructions to switchover the Orbi Hubs to ‘bridged’ AP mode…

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point?article=31218

Hope that information assists, it seems fairly straightforward, although I’ve no personal experience with using an Orbi mesh setup.

I sometimes switch my own (non-Orbi) WiFi mesh system over to bridged mode, now and again, but I’m presently using my setup in router mode, as i like to manage my setup from an iOS App provided by the manufacturer, but bridged AP mode has always been really stable with my Sonos setup, so you may want to think about that at some point, perhaps when you have more time and the incline to explore that mode. In either setup, there is always the option to revert to SonosNet too at any point if you do encounter any difficulties.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RDRDRD 

If these instructions don’t help, I recommend contacting Netgear.

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

I suspect this will only work until the speaker is rebooted (or updated, which involves a reboot), or until the main Orbi node is rebooted, as the first of these will make the speaker reassess which signal is stronger, and the second will force the speaker(s) onto the secondary node regardless, if in range.

I think your secondary Orbi node(s) might need repositioned - you don’t want to place them where WiFi is weak, but in a place where they can pick up WiFi from the main node well, and where their broadcast area covers the areas the main node doesn’t reach. Half way is a good starting point, but be sure to keep it 1m away from WiFi devices. The Orbi app will probably tell you the connection quality. It’s also possible the secondary node just needed a reboot.

If none of this helps, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, but I hope it does.