Sonos Mobile App Connection Delay

• 4 October 2023
  • 14 replies

Badge

Hello

We moved homes and set up our Sonos system (Play 3 x 2 and Arc).  When I first access the system using the mobile app, there isn’t much of a delay in responsiveness - I press play and it plays within a second or so.

when I switch from the Sonos app on my iPhone/iPad to another app for a bit and then switch back to the Sonos app, there is a 8-10 second delay where the “searching” icon spins and it says “unable to connect to sonos product.” Eventually if I wait long enough, it connects and is reasonably responsive again.

We have the Eero POE 6 system and have tried using a boost and hardwiring the Sonos to one of the Eero devices. Neither has helped.

I spent hours on the phone with Sonos and eventually talked to a level 3 support person who essentially said this is the fault of the mobile (apple) OS. I explained that no other app acts this way. In fact the Spotify app will connect to the Sonos system and doesn’t have this issue.

It really seems to be an issue with the Sonos mobile app. No issues trying to control it from a laptop Sonos app.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

As a test, perhaps try switching off the mobile data connection to the Sonos App, also switch off ‘WiFi Assist’ and ‘WiFi Calling’ and maybe try switching off ‘Private Address’ in the mobiles WiFi network connection. Allow background services for the App and just see if those few suggestions might improve the Sonos App ‘device discovery’ time.

Userlevel 7

Hi

If you have the latest updates for the Sonos app and firmware version then I doubt it’s the app and more likely your devices:

Make sure...

1. Your devices are running the latest iOS and iPadOS
  2. You have enough Storage space > Go to Settings > General > iPhone/iPad Storage > check available space; if running low delete unwanted apps and/or data.
  3. Pictures are Optimized > Go to Settings > Click on your name > iCloud > Photos > Optimize Phone Storage (This requires you subscribe to a iCloud storage plan of 50GB or more)
  4. Sonos App refresh is on: Go to settings > General > Background App Refresh > Sonos
Badge

Hi

If you have the latest updates for the Sonos app and firmware version then I doubt it’s the app and more likely your devices:

Make sure...

1. Your devices are running the latest iOS and iPadOS
  2. You have enough Storage space > Go to Settings > General > iPhone/iPad Storage > check available space; if running low delete unwanted apps and/or data.
  3. Pictures are Optimized > Go to Settings > Click on your name > iCloud > Photos > Optimize Phone Storage (This requires you subscribe to a iCloud storage plan of 50GB or more)
  4. Sonos App refresh is on: Go to settings > General > Background App Refresh > Sonos

Hi - Thanks a ton.  I tried these items and it didn’t solve the issue. I still have the lag and unable to contact Sonos product alert.

Badge

As a test, perhaps try switching off the mobile data connection to the Sonos App, also switch off ‘WiFi Assist’ and ‘WiFi Calling’ and maybe try switching off ‘Private Address’ in the mobiles WiFi network connection. Allow background services for the App and just see if those few suggestions might improve the Sonos App ‘device discovery’ time.

Hi - thanks much. I tried these and they did not improve the lag.

@Scott_135 

What happens if you temporarily switch off your Eero ‘satellite’ WiFi hubs, leaving just the primary Eero hub/router only enabled, does that perhaps improve the discovery time? I’m just wondering if the lag is actually occurring across the WiFi hub connections and that things may depend on where your mobile device connects to the LAN.

I am also assuming here that you do not have any Sonos devices wired to your Eero satellites, as that’s not particularly good practice anyway and it ‘may’ affect the backhaul to your router.

Don’t wire any SONOS units to an eero mesh point. Wire only to the main unit. I talked to an eero rep and he claimed that there will be an eero update soon (may have already been released) that will improve SONOS connectivity. They did not give any details and seemed grumpy that they needed an update to accommodate SONOS.

My experience with eero is that it’s very easy to setup a dumb network of a few phone/pad/computers and maybe a thermostat and TV or two, but beyond that it can be very difficult to accommodate devices, such as SONOS, that require comprehensive network support.

Badge

@Scott_135 

What happens if you temporarily switch off your Eero ‘satellite’ WiFi hubs, leaving just the primary Eero hub/router only enabled, does that perhaps improve the discovery time? I’m just wondering if the lag is actually occurring across the WiFi hub connections and that things may depend on where your mobile device connects to the LAN.

I am also assuming here that you do not have any Sonos devices wired to your Eero satellites, as that’s not particularly good practice anyway and it ‘may’ affect the backhaul to your router.

The main Eero device doesn’t actually emit a wifi signal, however, I do have 3 mesh points that all emit wifi.  I could try turning off two of the three -- is that what you are suggesting?   That way there is only one “wifi signal” to connect to?  Maybe my phone connects to one of the eeros and the sonos system to another?

I have tried wireless and wired and it doesn’t seem to help to have it wired. It sounds like wiring it is a bad idea regardless.

Badge

Don’t wire any SONOS units to an eero mesh point. Wire only to the main unit. I talked to an eero rep and he claimed that there will be an eero update soon (may have already been released) that will improve SONOS connectivity. They did not give any details and seemed grumpy that they needed an update to accommodate SONOS.

My experience with eero is that it’s very easy to setup a dumb network of a few phone/pad/computers and maybe a thermostat and TV or two, but beyond that it can be very difficult to accommodate devices, such as SONOS, that require comprehensive network support.

Thanks for this.  I spent as much time with the eero people as I did the sonos people. Each blamed the issue on the other. At least until the 3rd level sonos person decided to blame it on iOS.

It may be hard to wire to the main eero gateway just from a proximity standpoint. I tried wiring to one of the eero mesh devices and it did not help.  Do you think wiring to the eero gateway will help? If so, I will definitely give it a try if only to test it.

It is odd that I only have this issue with the Sonos app.  Everything else seems to like eero just fine.

Sonos taxes a network in ways most devices don’t. It does require a robust network. 

The main Eero device doesn’t actually emit a wifi signal, however, I do have 3 mesh points that all emit wifi.  I could try turning off two of the three -- is that what you are suggesting?   That way there is only one “wifi signal” to connect to?  Maybe my phone connects to one of the eeros and the sonos system to another?

I have tried wireless and wired and it doesn’t seem to help to have it wired. It sounds like wiring it is a bad idea regardless.

I have always thought that all the Eero hubs had WiFi adapters built-in and could be used in either ‘router’ mode, or ‘bridged AP’ mode? I base that on reading this earlier community thread LINK, suggesting to use the Eero setup in ‘Bridged AP’ mode.

Anyhow, can you (very kindly) provide a link to your Eero system online and/or the user-manual, so I can  maybe take a look at the various settings that Eero/Amazon make available to the end user - thanks. 🙏 

I just visited the Eero website. They’ve been adding products. Earlier systems consisted of only one model and the unit wired to the site’s Gateway or router would assume control while the others became slaves. Now there are even WiFi7 models. I know that the early models could frustrate SONOS. I have no experience with the new models.

The problem that I observed with the early units was that they might move SONOS units and controllers to separate subnets. All SONOS units and the controllers must be on the same subnet.

I assume that this is an older Eero system. I suggest that you wire a SONOS unit to the main Eero unit. Wire a SONOS BOOST if it is not convenient to wire a player. Another approach would be to configure the Eero unit into bridge mode. This will stop the separate subnet nonsense, but it will defeat all or most of the Eero premium management features. You can test my scheme by temporarily wiring a PLAY:3.

Badge

I have always thought that all the Eero hubs had WiFi adapters built-in and could be used in either ‘router’ mode, or ‘bridged AP’ mode? I base that on reading this earlier community thread LINK, suggesting to use the Eero setup in ‘Bridged AP’ mode.

Anyhow, can you (very kindly) provide a link to your Eero system online and/or the user-manual, so I can  maybe take a look at the various settings that Eero/Amazon make available to the end user - thanks. 🙏 

The Eero system is this:

https://www.eero.com/shop#poe-6

Badge

I just visited the Eero website. They’ve been adding products. Earlier systems consisted of only one model and the unit wired to the site’s Gateway or router would assume control while the others became slaves. Now there are even WiFi7 models. I know that the early models could frustrate SONOS. I have no experience with the new models.

The problem that I observed with the early units was that they might move SONOS units and controllers to separate subnets. All SONOS units and the controllers must be on the same subnet.

I assume that this is an older Eero system. I suggest that you wire a SONOS unit to the main Eero unit. Wire a SONOS BOOST if it is not convenient to wire a player. Another approach would be to configure the Eero unit into bridge mode. This will stop the separate subnet nonsense, but it will defeat all or most of the Eero premium management features. You can test my scheme by temporarily wiring a PLAY:3.

This is the newest POE Eero system.  I tried wiring a boost directly into the gateway and it did not help. I’ll try to wire a speaker into the gateway. 

https://www.eero.com/shop#poe-6

The eero link above is not working for me, I first get a page mentioning Eero 7 and then get redirected to a list of various Eero products on Amazon?