Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Five Does Not Connect with xFinity modem XB8-T

• 6 July 2024
  • 6 replies

I have had this problem ever since I bought this speaker where Sonos will not recognize the network.  I tried hard resets a few times and was able to get it to work until power went out and I lost WiFi.  WiFi signal is strong and the modem is a brand new. Rev. 2.1 Firmware CGM4981COM7.3p3s1-PROD_sey.  I was able to get it to work with an ethernet cable but I prefer WiFi.

I went into the xfinity site to see what features i can edit.  xFinity does not recommend splitting bands with 2.4 and 5GHz.  I don’t understand the reason.  Also, the modem is set at WPA3- Personal Transition but offers WPA2 and WPA3 -Personal as other options.  I don’t know what these mean and what I should change.

I hope someone has answers. I thank you in advance

Paul 

6 replies

Try WPA2.

@Reluctant User,

Perhaps also see if these steps may help…

1. Navigate to https://internet.xfinity.com/
  2. Sign in with your Xfinity xFi account
  3. Once logged in, click the Devices or Connect tab, then click on the Paused Sonos device
  4. On the following page, click on the Unpaused Device button
  5. Click on Apply Changes to complete the unblocking process of the device
  6. Repeat for each Paused Sonos device
  7. Once completed, the Sonos Player(s) will be able to connect, register, update, or stream. You may need to reboot the affected Sonos component(s)

@Reluctant User 

have the same modem. The only difference is that I use my own router for WiFi. Meaning the router portion in the Xfinity box is turned off. For clarification I have my security encryption set on my router to WPA2/WPA3 Personal. 

WPA2/WPA3 Personal allows those devices on my network that can accept the higher encryption of WPA3 to do so. Those that cannot will use WPA2. 

The Five is compatible with WPA3 as shown in this link

However, I believe the Xfinity Modem with WiFi router portion activated will only allow WPA2 or WPA3 but not WPA2/WPA3 Personal. In any event WPA2 may be your best option as suggested by @buzz or try the suggestion by @Ken_Griffiths .

BTW…WPA stands for WiFi Protected Access. If interested you might read this post 😊

Thank you for the quick responses, gentlemen.  In the end, Buzzs’ WPA2 option worked after MANY MANY attempts.  It seemed to take some 10 minutes for Sonos to discover the network.  I was ready to give up but thought I be patient.  Sonos and my phone were pairing just fine - the problem always came after typing the WiFi passwd. 

Having spent good money on a new modem, I will try WPA3 personal again - thank you for the tip AjTrek1.

Paul

Good Morning Everyone;

After I got the Sonos Five to finally connect with my network and function as a speaker, this morning it had lost connection AGAIN, and it is not self discovering like all other WiFi enabled electronic devices do.  I am at a loss with this and frustrated in spending so much time with an unreliable product.

Any Ideas?

Thank you in advance

New twist to the dilema with lost WiFi connection;

When I looked at my IPAD, there was no issue - it was connected to the speaker and I was able operate it. BUT, my iphone is still telling me that it is not connected.  As an aside, I used both IPAD and Iphone this morning without trouble. What is going on?