Answered

Sonos Era300 installation

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi Folks, could someone kindly assist please? First and foremost I’m not a ‘guru’ with Sonos although I know my way reasonably around the app

i have purchased a pair of Era300’s to replace my now aging pair of play 1s as rears. Regarding the swop over will there be a software upgrade on release date? What I really need please is a STEP BY STEP procedure and in LAYMANS TERMS how to remove the play 1s and add the Era300’s. What may seem second nature to yourselves may not appear that way to myself 😢 and I don’t want to screw it up. I am fully aware of what to do once they are installed 🙂

Thank you very much

Martin

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 26 March 2023, 11:32

View original

11 replies

Your online community profile shows you have an older Playbar as the main Home Theatre master device, if that is the case the ERA 300’s do not bond as surrounds to that older Sonos device - you can only use them with an Arc or Beam (gen2).

Assuming you have one of the latter products - here are the steps.

1. Add each of the new Era 300’s to your Sonos Household using ‘Settings/System/Add Product’ in the S2 Sonos App (or if prompted to install a speaker by the App, then use that option instead) - give them unique room names during their setup,,, example: ‘Lounge L’ and ‘Lounge R’.
  2. Next goto your Arc/Beam room in the App ‘Settings/System/[Arc/Beam Room Name]’ and select to remove the existing surrounds.
  3. After the removal of Surrounds then choose the option to ‘Add Surrounds’ in the same area of the App and add both Era’s called ‘Lounge L’ and ‘Lounge R’ - simply read and follow all the onscreen instructions and then setup of the HT will be completed
  4. Finally, assuming you’re still going to use them, you need to place/redeploy the older play:1 speakers elsewhere. So if moving them say to a kitchen or bedroom you can go into their room settings ‘Settings/System/[Play:1 Room Name]’ and rename them to kitchen or bedroom etc. and/or there’s an option in there to set them up as a stereo pair in one of the rooms of your choosing.
  5. Thats the job done, but don’t forget to return to each new rooms setup in ‘Settings/System’ in the App, if you are using compatible iOS controller device to ‘Trueplay tune’ each one of your new Sonos rooms.

HTH 👍

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Sorry forgot to mention I have a Sonos Arc and gen 3 sub

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi Ken, I think i understand, as you mention when I first power up the 300’s I may get prompted in the app to continue.

I was not aware that you need to add them first before removing existing surrounds..

I will sell the play 1s as really they are of no use to me any longer.

Thank you for your kind help 👍

Userlevel 7

Hi Ken, I think i understand, as you mention when I first power up the 300’s I may get prompted in the app to continue.

I was not aware that you need to add them first before removing existing surrounds..

I will sell the play 1s as really they are of no use to me any longer.

Thank you for your kind help 👍

I don’t think @Ken_Griffiths was saying that you need or must add the Era 300’s first before removing the existing surrounds. What he was saying is that you want to add the 300’s as  speakers in a room and later you can add them as surrounds to the Arc. You can remove the existing surrounds at anytime prior to adding the Era 300’s. I haven’t received my Era 300’s yet but I have removed the existing surrounds from my Arc to sell them as a means to offset the cost of the Era 300’s.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello Mate, it all seems very confusing. Please please in simple terms.
If I remove the surrounds first (my existing Play 1s) by selecting from system-products - remove surrounds and then at the prompt select remove? This will take them out of the room that my Arc and Sub is still left in - correct. So now I can unplug them from the mains supply…

Then I plug in BOTH new Era300 into the mains supply 

will the Sonos automatically detect them or not?

Then I can in system - products- add surrounds add each one individually into the room where my Arc and sub is, where do you name them eg. Rear left and rear right?

thank you, so sorry for asking stupid questions 🙄

@Mart the Fart,

Once you have removed the existing surrounds and powered them off (don’t forget to factory reset them later if you intend to sell them) see this link:

Factory Reset a Sonos Device

It’s then best to add the two Era’s to the Sonos Household to begin with (Settings/System/Add Product) do them one at a time as described in my first post - give each of them a room name during setup. Then go onto add them as surrounds to your Arc ‘Settings/System/[Arc Room Name]/Add surrounds’ and follow the on-screen instructions to add both as the Arcs left/right rear surrounds.

Userlevel 7

Hello Mate, it all seems very confusing. Please please in simple terms.
If I remove the surrounds first (my existing Play 1s) by selecting from system-products - remove surrounds and then at the prompt select remove? This will take them out of the room that my Arc and Sub is still left in - correct. So now I can unplug them from the mains supply…

You Are Correct

Then I plug in BOTH new Era300 into the mains supply 

You are Correct

will the Sonos automatically detect them or not?

When you Open the controller you should get a prompt to add the Era’s; if not, you can go to Settings > System > Add Product

Then I can in system - products- add surrounds add each one individually into the room where my Arc and sub is, where do you name them eg. Rear left and rear right?

You want to place the Era’s in the same position from which the Play 1’s were removed. 

To eliminate confusion I’d add each Era to a room (name) where no Sonos speakers exist. For example: Bath Room and the other as Basement. It doesn’t matter that the speakers are not physically located in those rooms. 

Next (in the controller) you’ll select the room where the Arc is located and select “Add/Setup Surrounds”. The controller (as@Ken_Griffiths has stated) will find the Era’s and ask if you’d like to add one as a surround and then next. It will also guide you to select which will be left and which will be right surround.

thank you, so sorry for asking stupid questions 🙄

I believe I speak for@Ken_Griffiths as well; when I say that your’s are not dumb questions. We all need clarification from time to time. That’s why the community exists to help one another, share ideas and enjoy Sonos!

Lets us know how you like your new Era 300’s!

Cheers!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thank you very much 👍 they should be arriving tomorrow. 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Thank you very much 👍 they should be arriving tomorrow. 🙂

Mine too😎

There’s a Sonos update posted today you might want to update. It’ll likely have updates for the new speakers. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

What a game that was……not easy when things go wrong….

What a game that was……not easy when things go wrong….

Ah okay sorry to hear the steps we posted earlier were not easy to follow, if you can state where things went awry we may be able to change the wording/steps to perhaps assist others.

I assume you got there in the end though?