Sonos Era 300 manufacturer defect

Hi @ All,

Yesterday I received my pair of Sonos Era 300 and after I installed them on the stands I immediately noticed that the build quality of both speakers is not what I expect from Sonos as it seems that the backplate is somehow not even installed on both of my speakers.

I googled it and it seems that this concert more people:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1253qem/era_300_manufacturer_defect/

Can some Era 300 owners confirm that they also have this problem? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @munich 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

This is also not what we would expect on your behalf. I encourage you to contact our technical support team regarding this issue as we will be happy to replace any such units. We will, as always, pay all shipping costs.

Hi @Corry P 

Thank you very much for your answer!

I already chatted with your support and they told me to order new ones and send back the „defective“ ones as this seems to be the quickest solution.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I noticed mine last night has really bad static pop sound. I tried everything at 1am. Reset, unplug, different apps to play the music through and still it continued. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Musky75 

As a reset did not help, I recommend you also get in touch with our technical support team for assistance - we will happily replace the units for you after confirming the issue (it will save you some time/trouble if you can record a short video of the popping noise before getting in touch). Thank you.

the static pop happened to my era 300 surrounds too. The amp in one is blown and seems to be a more common issue than not. I’m going to exchange or return at Best Buy and wait for the next manufacturing batch I guess. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same here! The static pop also is happening here with my both Era 300’s! Seems more people have this issue. Looks like a software issue (i hope). Very annoying I must say! Any fix for this? 

I noticed my Era 300's make the static popping noise, hear it when I first turn on the TV, when changing inputs and then randomly during playback.

Badge +2

I noticed my Era 300's make the static popping noise, hear it when I first turn on the TV, when changing inputs and then randomly during playback.

Same experience. Would be nice to know what the problem is seeing as replacements have not fixed the issue for others in related threads.

same problem as in this post : 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I noticed mine last night has really bad static pop sound. I tried everything at 1am. Reset, unplug, different apps to play the music through and still it continued. 

Please take a look at this post and perhaps you can try to see if its reproduceable consistently?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

same problem as in this post : 

Please take a look at this post and perhaps you can try to see if its reproduceable consistently?

Just received my first Sonos speaker set. After tuning the e300s and trying to play some Atmos Apple music I heard some extremely  loud popping noises every time I try to stream some music.

Callled support who said they needed replacing. Very disappointing first experience. Off to UPS tomorrow to return them. Not sure how I know the next pair will be any better.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just received my first Sonos speaker set. After tuning the e300s and trying to play some Atmos Apple music I heard some extremely  loud popping noises every time I try to stream some music.

Callled support who said they needed replacing. Very disappointing first experience. Off to UPS tomorrow to return them. Not sure how I know the next pair will be any better.

There is a new ERA specific build of the 15.4 firmware available that is supposed to fix the popping.

There is a new ERA specific build of the 15.4 firmware available that is supposed to fix the popping.

I let it do it’s latest update:

Version: 15.4 (build 73041230)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just got a pair of Era 300 , and after I did Trueplay as surrounds for my Arc, all speakers started making popping sounds, Arc and both 300. I had to turn off the TV to stop the popping. I’ve noticed if I don’t do Trueplay, it’s ok, but it defeats the purpose. I have the latest firmware of 15.4. 

Did you submit a diagnostic, and call Sonos support so that they could look at your data?

I talked to customer service and they told me that they are aware of a problem with the initial E100s and E300s (popping). They told me the replacement speakers have updated software and hardware (though it’s the same manufacturer date). He looked at the replacement speakers coming my way and confirmed they won’t be a problem as the software (and hardware?) has been updated. BTW, the error code was Amp Fault.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was able to eliminate the popping sound by reseating the HDMI cable from the Arc and TV, and unplugging the Arc. Ran Trueplay and no more popping. 

I was able to eliminate the popping sound by reseating the HDMI cable from the Arc and TV, and unplugging the Arc. Ran Trueplay and no more popping. 

Was your popping playing in a pattern and insanely loud that it was difficult to stay in the room? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Was your popping playing in a pattern and insanely loud that it was difficult to stay in the room? 

Yeah, likes it still running Trueplay after it’s done. 

Is there any update to this issue? Just purchased 2 e300 and the very next day “pop pop pop pop”. Sending back one tomorrow. Hoping my replacement with have the updated hardware

Is there any update to this issue? Just purchased 2 e300 and the very next day “pop pop pop pop”. Sending back one tomorrow. Hoping my replacement with have the updated hardware

See the earlier Sonos Staff response to the issue - it suggests if you’re using the latest S2 firmware & software and still seeing the issue, to submit a system diagnostic report, note the reference …and contact Sonos Support Staff via this LINK

Badge +1

Do you still get the pop?

I talked to customer service and they told me that they are aware of a problem with the initial E100s and E300s (popping). They told me the replacement speakers have updated software and hardware (though it’s the same manufacturer date). He looked at the replacement speakers coming my way and confirmed they won’t be a problem as the software (and hardware?) has been updated. BTW, the error code was Amp Fault.

Finally set up the E300 replacements. And ran Trueplay - all good, then moved the speakers and ran Trueplay a second time and the popping came back on one E300 and the Arc. Very frustrating. Called support, they had me unplug the speakers for 10 seconds, remove them as Surrounds, check they were okay and then add them back in. Popping gone but not comfortable running Trueplay. Like last time they said they were aware of the problem and to wait a month or so for an update before running Trueplay again.

Hi @ All,

Yesterday I received my pair of Sonos Era 300 and after I installed them on the stands I immediately noticed that the build quality of both speakers is not what I expect from Sonos as it seems that the backplate is somehow not even installed on both of my speakers.

I googled it and it seems that this concert more people:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1253qem/era_300_manufacturer_defect/

Can some Era 300 owners confirm that they also have this problem? 

Hello,

I also have the same problem. I asked for an exchange. The product received today also has the same problem. I just asked for a second exchange. It's painful. 

Have you had a product that is free of cosmetic defects?