Sonos Era 100 wired shows as connected to the 2.4ghz wireless band in router ?

• 12 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I got two Sonos Era 100’s set up as a pair for stereo and just plugged in the USB-C network adapter so I can have it wired to my network but for some strange reason the connected speaker reports as being on the 2.4ghz wireless network in my router settings, I restarted both speaker and router but it still shows as being connected to the wireless band.

if I go through the change network wizard in the s2 app this speaker is reported as being wired, also the details for the speaker says WM: 0 which is wired.

The second speaker is listed on the 5ghz wireless band.

Why is this, should it not be listed under my wired devices now ?

Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Routers can be lazy at reporting connection updates and SONOS might require a minute or two to react to network topology changes.

With respect to the second 100, it is still wireless and it will pick the best (based on its own evaluation) band. You could force the band choice by using separate SSID’s for the two bands. Overall, I don’t think that this is warranted unless a player is making an unfortunate choice. On the 2.4GHz band set the WiFi for 20MHz channel 1, 6, or 11, don’t use Auto.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for your reply.

My two wireless bands do have different SSID’s already.

My understanding is that when they were both set as wireless and paired they talk to each other on a dedicated 5ghz band and then one is connected to my 2.4ghz band. But when connected to the wired network as I’ve done now then one should show as wired and the other shows as 5ghz.

I restarted the speaker and router hoping this would refresh the details in the routers, I guess this never worked.

Wireless surround speakers and SUB will use a private 5GHz link. Other speakers will use WiFi or SonosNet as appropriate. The ERA speakers will not use SonosNet wireless.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ok thanks, I thought I read even two speakers set as a pair use this private 5ghz link as well. Oh well in that case all I've done is wire one speaker to my network leaving the other on wireless lol.

I will do some reading I think.

I just checked with my pair of ERA 300’s. They had both been on WiFi. I inserted the USB adapter and network cable. By the time I could check my access point and SONOS system (seconds) both the access point and SONOS system had reported the change. Wired unit is WM:0. Wireless unit is 5GHz WiFi (WM:1). In my case the access point and 300 can work out their own best deal without my guidance.

Ok thanks, I thought I read even two speakers set as a pair use this private 5ghz link as well. Oh well in that case all I've done is wire one speaker to my network leaving the other on wireless lol.

I will do some reading I think.

Most Sonos speakers are capable of using direct routing for the data passing between two speakers, whether stereo paired or not. This is a dynamic assessment of the best data flow configuration.. This is very different from the permanent 5GHz direct connection that operates between bonded speakers in a Sonos HT system. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ok thanks all for your feedback, I will leave It as it is anyway, I just didn’t want any other devices on my 2.4ghz wireless network apart from my cameras that only support that band.

I guess my router must reporting it incorrectly.