Answered

Sonos Era 100 : Unable to find product

I just bought the new Sonos Era 100, but during setup, the error message pops up:
“Your Era 100 has been added, but may not appear in the system tab. If so unplug the power cord and plug it back in to finish setup”. I have done everything I possibly can to restart things, read all the threads etc, but the Era100 remains undetected. 

Is this a software fault or a hardware fault. Not ideal when you are spending so much money on something that does not work efficiently. 

Think I might just return it for something that works more simply.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 April 2023, 19:38

View original

26 replies

You will have to provide a bit more detail if you are looking for support from other Sonos users here…

• Is this a new Sonos Household/System you are setting up or are you adding the speaker to an existing system? How many devices are setup already?
  • Does your local network meet the system requirements shown HERE. Can you describe the network including router make/model WiFi protocols in use.
  • Are you using an S2 Setup? (Era 100 is not S1 compatible)
  • Does the mobile controller device meet the S2 App requirements shown HERE.
  • Does the network have any switches (managed or unmanaged)
  • Are you currently using SonosNet connectivity? (Note Era 100 does not use wireless SonosNet), but have you tried the setup whilst the device is wired to the router?

Any further information you can provide here to fellow Sonos users maybe useful in suggesting some things to try, but you need to give a bit more detail, or you can of course contact Sonos Support Staff instead. If you do the latter then it maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App and note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the matter.

Hi, I had the same issue.
It helped to power down the era for about half an hour. The era appear in the app & I could apply the upgrade - after 4 tries of the update it worked.
BR, Mark

I have the same issue ever since purchasing the Era 100. I even got a hold of technical support over the phone; worked for a little bit and as soon as we ended the call, back to hell. I was thinking maybe there’s a network issues so I assigned a new IP address for the Era which worked but after few days of not using the speaker, it wasn’t there to be found. I have to spend 45 to an hour to get it running probably spent dozen times unplugging/replugging both speaker and router. I have multiple Sonos devices and never have problems connecting till this piece of work - Era 100. At this point it should be call - Error 100. I might have to give up at this point and return the speaker. 

Userlevel 1

Same problem, but I thought “no worries, it has Bluetooth”. But I can’t get that working either and now I see “Era 100 must be set up on a WiFi network before it can be used as a Bluetooth speaker”. I am so sad. Worst part is, I destroyed the box so kinda shot myself in the foot on just returning it. Which I would do right now.

I’m an IT pro, so maybe I’ll get his going. But crap, I don’t want to need to be a pro. I spent good money to get something reliable and that sounds good. But it’s sure not reliable, and I have no idea how it sounds. Maybe I never will :(

Yeah this is a vent. I am so sad.

I didn’t have any device-setup issues at all with our Era 100 speakers. The steps were actually as simple as those outlined in this YT video. 

It really was very simple indeed. I used an old iPhone XR and each speaker was up and running on our Home WiFi within in a few minutes.

Userlevel 1

I’m happy for you, man. Wish I had the same experience, for sure. I can see my phone and the Sonos on my wireless router, each with their DHCP IP address next to each other in their cozy little subnet. Just won’t talk to each other I guess. I’m able to cast stuff, so I have to think the router is configured OK. Really not sure how much time I want sniffing IP packets or WTF to see how it sounds :(

But I will take some solace in your success. If I figure out a magic bullet I’ll share it.

I’m happy for you, man. Wish I had the same experience, for sure. I can see my phone and the Sonos on my wireless router, each with their DHCP IP address next to each other in their cozy little subnet. Just won’t talk to each other I guess. I’m able to cast stuff, so I have to think the router is configured OK. Really not sure how much time I want sniffing IP packets or WTF to see how it sounds :(

But I will take some solace in your success. If I figure out a magic bullet I’ll share it.

If it helps you, the Sonos controller uses SSDP to initially discover the players, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. 

Thereafter communication is unicast.

So perhaps check your router/AP settings and your controller device aswell, to ensure there isn’t anything preventing the packets getting through.. ensure the controller and speakers are using the same AP and wireless network segment.

You may find that some WiFi ‘mesh’ systems will work better if set to operate in bridged (AP) mode - although some may not allow that configuration (Google Nest WiFi, for example can be problematic and Sky Q networks apparently). See this thread if using a mesh based WiFi system for additional information: 

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

I will just add that the Era 100 speakers do not use a wireless ‘SonosNet’ connection. So if the existing Sonos system is currently running on SonosNet, then check/ensure the WiFi credentials have been added to the Sonos App network settings aswell… see this support link to add a WiFi network (if necessary)…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

You may also find this link helpful too…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/issues-during-wireless-setup

Userlevel 1

Thanks for that. I don’t know why UDP would be filtered, but maybe that’s it. It’s not a mesh network, just basic. Asus RT-N66U wireless router with dd-wrt installed on it, but there’s no fancy networking going on. I just went dd-wrt for bandwidth monitoring, it’s all pretty vanilla.

I cleared the cache/data on the Sonos S2 android app and reset the Era 100 by holding the bluetooth button while plugging it in. But, exact same thing. It recognizes the Era fine, it does this thing where it plays a noise the phone listens to to pair (bluetooth? I don’t know), I give it a wireless password and it connects OK (I can see that on the router), but then it spins. After a while I get a screen “Your Era 100 has been added, but may not appear in the System tab. If so, unplug the power cord and plug it bak in to finish setup frm the System tab.” But nothing I’ve tried from here gets the app to find the Sonos.

Maybe I’ll rebuild or replace the router. But more likely I’ll call Sonos tomorrow after work and give them a chance. I’ll do some deep-breathing meditation so I can maintain inner peace while navigating the phone tree or what not. And if they can’t get it done, ask them if I can return it. I pulled the boxes out of recycling, and I bought it directly from Sonos, so hopefully.

I didn’t buy Sonos speakers for a long time because I worried about proprietary software and their wireless stuff. I just wanted a bluetooth speaker. So I kinda feel misled that it’s a bluetooth speaker only if you setup their wireless thing first. But, I’d use the wireless … if it worked for me ;)

EDIT This is my first Sonos device. There’s no legacy setup, it’s all brand new to the hosue

@EdCallahan - deep breath sounds good. maybe sonos provides another update soon.
Unplug the era for a longer time (not just un&replug). That worked for me.
& when the era works - the sound is really great. even in a single setup

Thanks for that. I don’t know why UDP would be filtered, but maybe that’s it. It’s not a mesh network, just basic. Asus RT-N66U wireless router with dd-wrt installed on it, but there’s no fancy networking going on. I just went dd-wrt for bandwidth monitoring, it’s all pretty vanilla.

I cleared the cache/data on the Sonos S2 android app and reset the Era 100 by holding the bluetooth button while plugging it in. But, exact same thing. It recognizes the Era fine, it does this thing where it plays a noise the phone listens to to pair (bluetooth? I don’t know), I give it a wireless password and it connects OK (I can see that on the router), but then it spins. After a while I get a screen “Your Era 100 has been added, but may not appear in the System tab. If so, unplug the power cord and plug it bak in to finish setup frm the System tab.” But nothing I’ve tried from here gets the app to find the Sonos.

Maybe I’ll rebuild or replace the router. But more likely I’ll call Sonos tomorrow after work and give them a chance. I’ll do some deep-breathing meditation so I can maintain inner peace while navigating the phone tree or what not. And if they can’t get it done, ask them if I can return it. I pulled the boxes out of recycling, and I bought it directly from Sonos, so hopefully.

I didn’t buy Sonos speakers for a long time because I worried about proprietary software and their wireless stuff. I just wanted a bluetooth speaker. So I kinda feel misled that it’s a bluetooth speaker only if you setup their wireless thing first. But, I’d use the wireless … if it worked for me ;)

EDIT This is my first Sonos device. There’s no legacy setup, it’s all brand new to the hosue

Make sure Airtime Fairness/QoS are switched off on the router also (if all else fails) try enabling UPnP port forwarding on the router too… but only do the the latter as a last resort. You could also try a different DNS such as Google public DNS servers or Cloudflare.

Userlevel 1

Yeah, after a good night’s sleep though I decided I made a bad purchase decision. Music is my refuge from technology and I don’t want Sonos Corp or any other company/app brokering that relationship.

I don’t have any QoS running and I did enable UPnP last night, I had high hopes for that. But no change in behavior.

Sonos makes it very easy to return. I didn’t have to deal with technical support first to get an RMA, I just selected “Not Satisfided” and provided my order number and they emailed me a postage-paid return label.

It’s not you Sonos, it’s me. And it hurts me as much as it hurts you. I just really, really want good sound in my kitchen. Why is that so hard?

That’s the end of my story, thanks for the support in this thread.

Same problem here. Real shame because the product gets rave reviews. The speaker is now back in its box and awaiting collection by Amazon. Will try another make - Sonos is off my list for good.

I had this same issue (brand new ERA 100 trying to get it on my wifi). What worked: 1) I deleted the Sonos app and started over. 2) I rebooted both the iPhone and the ERA 100… and then 3) moved them to the room where my router is (while I set it up). The OTHER interesting thing that may have had an effect is that after I entered my 8-digit PIN then BEFORE I clicked whatever button to proceed I turned the speaker BACK RIGHT SIDE UP so that I could no longer see the PIN… then everything worked.

I totally wish I never bought this either. It falls off line all the time and no other speakers do. Worst purchase ever. 

Just for some positive balance on this thread I purchased 2 Era100’s as rear surrounds for HT use only with Beam G2 and Sub G3. 

I had no problems initially setting up or subsequent falling off a BT Smart Hub 2 WiFi network.

I would also add that none of my Sonos products have wired Ethernet connections as the single 2.4g WiFi signal has worked seamlessly with the whole system.

Same issue here, it just doesn’t update or connect, keeps saying try again all the time. It has been two days already. Brand new Era 100… all of my Sonos products gave me the same problem, and all in different places. Sonos needs urgently to fix this issue, they are putting all they’ve built and created to lose due to bad app/software connectivity. I’m still unable to put it to work.

Same issue here, it just doesn’t update or connect, keeps saying try again all the time. It has been two days already. Brand new Era 100… all of my Sonos products gave me the same problem, and all in different places. Sonos needs urgently to fix this issue, they are putting all they’ve built and created to lose due to bad app/software connectivity. I’m still unable to put it to work.

Wonder if you have a compatibility issue - what router are you using?

I personally don’t think there’s anything to fix here with Sonos. Several members of my immediate family and quite a few friends have Sonos products, some with the Era 100 and we’ve all not had any difficulties setting up our speakers, or updating the them. It’s perhaps something linked to your network setup that’s causing the issues mentioned.

Have you been in touch with Sonos Support so that they can perhaps take a closer look at what is happening with your setup? If not, then here is the link to maybe contact them…

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Hi,

First post after 10 years plus of relatively hassle free listening. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong thread

My current set up in the kitchen consists of Beam G2, Mini Sub & 2 x Era 100s. Worked fine since I got the 100’s 3 or 4 months ago. All of the products are grouped together on the app with the 100’s as surrounds.

Last night no sound from the 100’s with a slow green flashing light. They are still included in the group on the app and as far as the app is concerned are functioning. I have removed as surrounds and rejoined, rebooted the router, reset the 100s and then rejoined again. I have also moved the 100’s closer the the router (although this has not been an issue previously). But still no sound and the same slow green light which I gather is signifying they are ready to be set up? The app does not recognise any new hardware to configure. Beam and sub continue to function perfectly.

No recent change to the router but I did upgrade my FTTC line from 100mb to 500mb via Vodafone a couple of weeks ago.

The surrounds were likely switched off in the Sonos App, I suspect. That’s why they were/are flashing green. See link and screenshot attached.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/change-surround-audio-settings

Wow...thanks Ken you are spot on!…..all working again now :-)

Hey guys - I just wanted to add this here to help anyone else out experiencing the same problem. I got my Era 100 today, and post-setup got that message the OP mentioned. Reboots etc didn’t do anything. I found a post elsewhere talking about Sonos tech support getting involved and separating 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz networks, and that got me thinking. I have an Eero setup for Wifi at home, and have been using 2 Sonos amps without issue for a year now. I went into my Eero management settings and temporarily paused the 5Ghz network, which triggered the Era to show up in my Sonos app as “Update Needed”. Progress. I updated and finished the setup, then turned 5Ghz back on in my Eero app. Everything’s working as expected.

So it looks like initial setup could fail if you don’t force wifi connectivity through 2.4Ghz at first - once that’s done the Era will remain on 2.4Ghz (confirmed it through Eero). Saw the same thing for my other Sonos devices. 

Hope this helps others that are frustrated by this problem!

I had the same problem, tried everything like deleting the app, unplugging the Era100 for a longer time, factory reset them dozen of times… in the end, what worked for me was to delete/factory reset the device I already had in my Sonos app (Beam gen2). Then, with all devices factory reset I installed the first Era100 and it asked to upgrade, then I did the same with the second Era100 and finished with my previously owned Beam Gen2. Hope it help someone. 

I had similar problems getting my new Era 100 speakers set up.  I was working with an app that controlled my Roam SL, attempting to add them.  The app would find the speaker but when I tried to add it, I would get the message ‘No Sonos Product on found on device’s network’.  Three days later and reading through several posts here and also chatting with support, I deleted the app from my phone and started fresh.  I had both my Era 100 speakers set up in a matter of minutes.  I did have trouble adding my Roam SL in but found that needed to be reset back to factory settings.  Once done, the app found it immediately and added it.  I am hoping this post may help someone very frustrated user because I know I was!  On a side note, I run the app on my Windows laptop also.  I found it necessary to uninstall the existing program and re-install in order to sync with my phone. 

Here is what worked for me:

1. I restarted the router
  2. deinstalled the sonos app 
  3. reinstalled the sonos app and logged in
  4. factory restet all my sonos products
  5. then I was finally asked to install the eras and it worked 

Hope it helps someone