Answered

Sonos Era 100 clicks on sound

• 29 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

There's already a thread about Era 300 sound clicks with some references to the 100, but we need one for the 100s. 

My setup is two Era 100s as a stereo pair with a Sub, Trueplayed and playing FLAC files off local network NAS. 

When I first heard the clicks my brain tended to disbelieve them as not possible - I've never had clicks on any Sonos device (had Sonos gear since 2007) and never expected to. 

At first I thought my music tracks may have got corrupted so I played the track that clicked on another (non-Sonos) device - no clicks. 

I found the Era 300 clicks thread and was dismayed to realise I’d bought a pair of defective speakers. Something I’d never expect from Sonos. 

In my case the click is a soft click (not a thud or a crack or static) reminiscent of a scratch on an LP but at the same level as the music, ie not louder than the music playing and not a low-level click. 

It happened on Songbird by Fleetwood Mac at around 5 seconds in. I restarted the track and it was repeatable at the same point. I paused immediately after the click. I went to another stereo pair of Sonos speakers (One SL, in the same group as the Era 100s) restarted the track, no click. 

Went back to the Era 100s, played from the start, click at 5 secs as before. 

Later in the day I played the same track again, no click. I have heard clicks on other music tracks as well, repeatable at the time but later in the day not repeatable. This makes me think it's something that the buffer is doing, eg loading it incorrectly (ie with the click) into the buffer and then it's repeatable at the time but once that has cleared the buffer it's gone forever. 

Some Era 300 people are finding it's linked to high transient sounds but in my case the clicks have occurred at times when the music is at a fairly gentle level. Of course, there may be more than one fault occurring here!

I have the speakers on all the time and I've never heard any clicks, static or anything from them when they are paused (but not muted). The microphone switch at the back is down (which I believe is off). 

I do hope it's a firmware issue, because on the other thread there seems to be a lot of people returning Era 300s for replacement, only to find the replacements have the same fault, which is such a waste of the planet's resources.

Come on Sonos - admit there's a problem and tell us what you are doing about it. Perhaps once it's fixed you could offer users a complimentary Combo lead (for those who request one) in recompense for the customer having to do the beta testing on your new product...

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 June 2023, 13:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I suggest that you call Sonos Tech support.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I posted this in ‘Questions’ because the help section said that would be the best place to start. I have tried to move it to ‘Speakers’ but there is no longer an ‘Edit’ option on the post (only ‘Link to URL’ and ‘Report’) so I am unable to move it. Perhaps an admin could move it for me (or perhaps show me how to do it if it’s an option I haven’t found)?

I wrote the post so that there would be a specific thread for Era 100s with this problem, saving Sonos searching for them in the Era 300 threads. 

As this is clearly a product-specific problem (the sound files play correctly on a pair of One SLs) I am simply asking Sonos to admit and confirm that it is a problem so that all of the customers who have supported this new Sonos product by buying them are not left in the dark. 

In the early days of Sonos I was very active communicating with them about several issues - one of my suggestions was that the ‘Mute’ button on the early Zoneplayers would be better used as a ‘Play/Pause’ button, which I was pleased to see was implemented with the later Connect series and all products ever since. 

There is no record of any of my many tens of hours of communications from those days, as apparently the forum has been updated more than once since then, and message threads have disappeared. 

I am not happy being expected to spend my time helping to fix the latest problem that Sonos has with their products (and I say that as an avid Sonos enthusiast and recommender) - I find it astounding that this is happening with  a current product, considering the calibre of engineers that Sonos has, especially ‘our’ Giles Martin. Surely someone must have noticed it in pre-production? I do wonder if the bean counters knew of it and shipped them anyway, with the get-out clause ‘we’ll just fix in in a software update’?

I do hope that this won’t end up like the 1.5TSi engine in the VAG product range which has a hardware fuel issue (which causes very intermittent stalling at set-off and intermittent loss of power) which VAG initially claimed didn’t happen, but issued several ECU firmware updates trying to fix it to no avail. 

As a Sonos customer from the start I’d much rather know what is wrong with the Era series (producing random clicks, static noise, background noise etc) and then be able to make a decision on what to do, ie trust Sonos to fix it in a firmware update, or if it’s a manufacturing defect send them back for a refund and wait a few months until the production has been fixed, rather than silence from Sonos on the issue. 

If I contact Sonos tech support I suspect the first thing I’ll be told is that they have not heard of this and that I'm the first one to raise it as an issue...

Era 100 popping sound.  Connected to household Wi-Fi.  Bought a single Era 100 to evaluate before upgrading the rest of my system.  I’ve been using it sparingly for three weeks or so.

Had it playing today for several hours and started noticing an infrequent popping sound after a while.  Started with an occasional pop while listening to Apple Classical service (via my iPhone) and then also from a song in my iTunes library.

Then I installed the S2 app on a Dell laptop and have heard one pop in the last 15 minutes after playing a few pieces.  Will start a ticket with Sonos Support, but it’s disappointing to read that my experience is apparently not unique. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sorry to hijack this thread which I just came across. I was one of those with ERA300’s and after a couple of RMA’s dealing with Sonos Support on several occasions to try and resolve this problem and realizing that after several months they were stiil clueless about this issue and mostly claimed to not know anything about it I decided to return my ERA’s.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sorry to hijack this thread which I just came across. I was one of those with ERA300’s and after a couple of RMA’s dealing with Sonos Support on several occasions to try and resolve this problem and realizing that after several months they were stiil clueless about this issue and mostly claimed to not know anything about it I decided to return my ERA’s.

Hi Flare,

Thanks for the info. I don’t see it as a hijack - the more facts we have the better!

Sorry to hear you had to return your Era 300s. I have raised a ticket with Sonos and sent them evidence of the clicks and other info. They have acknowledged that it happens and are working on it, but no timescale for resolution.

I think it would help the many customers affected by this if Sonos made an official announcement acknowledging that the problem exists, the extent of the problem, eg batch numbers, certain configurations or maybe every unit, and how soon it will be fixed. As with all big companies I do sometimes think they won't admit to flaws as it may affect their sales, and the inconvenience to the people affected is offset against that decision. Compare with the Apple iPhone 4 aerial problem some years ago. 

I do think people would feel better about Sonos if they had a page of known issues so that owners could look and see that whatever they’re having problems with is known about and likely to be eventually fixed. Then again I realise that such an admission could be used by some to build up a negative picture of the company, 

I see there's a new update (15.4) so let's see if that fixes it. Again it would be helpful if the ‘Bug fixes and performance enhancements’ sentence in the release notes was more specific. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @CJH2007 et al

The recent software update (release date: 5/31/2023) included steps that we believe resolved this problem with unwanted noises coming from Era speakers.

If you don’t mind, please ensure you are running the latest software (Settings » System » System Updates » Check for Updates), then test once again and post here whether you continue to hear these noises or not. We’d most especially like to hear from anyone who has installed the update and still hears these noises, but hope not to. Thank you.