Answered

SONOS Connection to new WIFI Router from SKY

• 15 January 2024
  • 16 replies

I cannot connect my SONOS products to my new WIFI Router from Sky, all of those SONOS products were working fine on my previous WIFI network, but simply will not connect to this new one.

I have a Play 3 and 2 Play 1 speakers.

I have done a factory reset on all speakers.

I have done an app reset on my SONOS app on my phone.

On the Sky Router I have tried to switch off 5Ghz network and function only on the 2.4Ghz version, and I’ve also tried to switch the security mode back to WPA2, nothing works, every time I get to the point of adding my WIFI password, it fails.

Any thoughts?

I’m almost at the point of dumping all this equipment.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 17 January 2024, 10:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

You should follow the directions in the link when changing routers:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

If you have done the above what error codes/messages are you getting during setup? Also don’t perform any additional factory resets before consulting with this community and/or Sonos tech support.

Followed that set of instructions and have also been on the phone to Sonos support for a couple of hours trying to fix it, I left the support team when they asked me to reset my router, did that and tried again same thing.

I was then asked to try changing the settings on the router to switch off 5Ghz network, same thing.

I was then asked (this time by Sky) to switch from WPA3-T security mode to WPA-2, and I am now adding back on here because I get the same message.

I go through the set up, I find the product and I add the product, it asks me to join the Temp Sonos network which I do, it then finds the Sky network and asks if I want to join that which I do, and finally it asks for the password.

At this point it tells me it failed to connect to the network because my password doesn’t work.

Looking at the FAQ, there’s certainly an indication that neither the PLAY:3 nor the PLAY:1 can connect to a WPA-3 network, so setting it to WPA-2 makes sense.

What happens when you (temporarily) wire one of your speakers to your new router with an Ethernet cable? Do you get the same error when adding your new network information in the controller? By any chance are there extremely unusual characters in either your network name or your password? Have you, as a test, tried something more ‘vanilla’, in case Sonos’ Linux kernel is choking on that for some reason? Can you spell out the exact error message you’re receiving for us, please?

Userlevel 7

Hi 

I don’t want to throw a wrench into this discussion but it appears that the Sky Router Hub is riddled with issues when setting up Sonos and/or when changing Sky hardware. In fact this link will show 149 Sonos topics (and counting) involving Sky issues. The answer to your problem might be found in one of those threads.

I’m not saying we’ve given up; but it appears to me that Sky would have a database (or should) dedicated to Sonos just by the sheer number of potential calls; as it seems to be a common problem. Sky also has several flavors of their hub which requires specific setup steps as shown in this link. That in-and-off-itself (IMO) can be problematic. 

The link I previously provided for Sonos when setting up/changing a router or ISP is somewhat generic. It should work 99 times out of a hundred. Obviously, Sky hardware is not part of the 99.

This next section goes against what Sonos suggests in the link I posted. However, it works for me 100% of the time. Use your own judgment after reading what follows.

I change routers on a regular basis after 5-6 years or when I think the technology offered in newer models will better benefit me (or is that “benefit me better”). OK, I digress.

I’m a fan of Asus hardware (routers). I have at least 5 retired routers as proof; some I’ve sold on eBay.  I use the ISP’s  modem only; or if a combo modem/router simply turn off the router (WiFi) portion.

I always use the same SSID and Password. BTW, they are (IMO) rock solid. However, I harbor no information that will topple governments and/or compromise national security.😂  

Before I bring the new router on-line I power down (unplug) all Sonos. Other WiFi devices such as thermostats, security camera hubs and/or Alexa/Google devices may require re-entering the network data on occasion. By keeping the same SSID and Password cell phones, computers and tablets typically auto re-connect. 

The setup process does require access to a computer wired via Ethernet to the router. As a rule during setup of the new router I…..

1. Turn-off Airtime Fairness *
  2. Disable WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) 

After the new router is setup and my cell phone has connected I’ll powerup (plug-in) Sonos. Rather than do all at once I bring on each room 1 x 1. Once all rooms are up I open the Sonos app and select “Join and existing system”.

The above process has worked for me without fail. In case you’re wondering my network consists of three (3) Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET12 routers setup as an AiMesh. Total Sonos units involved is thirty-two (32); which is the maximum allowed.

I sincerely hope you are able to resolve your setup issue. Keep the security level set to WPA2 Personal. WPA3 (as was mentioned by @Airgetlam) can be problematic for some devices. WPA2 is still a strong encryption. 

* Specific to Sonos

1. Leave UPnP active *

* Specific to Sonos

Do not do this. Sonos does not require UPnP Gateway control, and it’s a notorious security vulnerability.

As for Sky, this may be relevant.

Userlevel 7
  1. Leave UPnP active *

* Specific to Sonos

Do not do this. Sonos does not require UPnP Gateway control, and it’s a notorious security vulnerability.

As for Sky, this may be relevant.

@ratty 

You are correct. Sonos uses UPnP AV which is outside of the UPnP gateway.

Reply to AIRGETLAM

When I plug in my Sonos using a wired cable it connects automatically and I can play music through it, but the next steps are always to connect it to WIFI and when I try to do that it tells me that it cannot connect to WIFI because it is connected through a wired connection.

So eventually I get back to the same place where it tells me my wifi password is wrong.

Reply to AJTREK1

Yes, I have done this previously when the WIFI signal of most broadband suppliers was simply not good enough, I then bought a super router and set up the same thing.  I think this is where I will now go.

What is your current ASUS router?

Userlevel 7

@NCW65 

My router is an Asus Zen WiFi Pro ET12 typically sold in pairs to create a mesh network (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, 6Ghz). There are other less expensive Asus routers not sold in pairs you might consider as well.

@AjTrek1 thanks, that is a very serious bit of kit, do you have one of them or have put it in as a pair?  I’m not sure I want to be spending close to £800 on routers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NCW65 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m just going to interject with a little pointer here - if you have a Sky TV box of some kind and a Sky router, the Sky TV box will repeat the WiFi broadcast of the router. If either a speaker or your phone/tablet is connected to or is trying to connect to the Sky TV box rather than the router, things will go wrong. Therefore, it may help to just turn the TV box off at the wall while you set up your Sonos system to work on your Sky WiFi.

We used to recommend disabling the 2.4GHz broadcast on the Sky TV boxes, but as Sonos now can connect to 5GHz as well, this isn’t the reliable fix it used to be. If you can get an ethernet cable to the Sky TV box and disable it’s WiFi broadcasts entirely, that will likely be of help. If you search for how to disable WiFi on your particular Sky TV box, you’ll find instructions easily enough.

If you’re able to permanently ethernet-wire a single Sonos device to the router, that will prevent all your Play:1s and Play:3s from connecting to Sky WiFi altogether (connecting to SonosNet, broadcasted by the wired speaker, instead), but your Roam will always need connect to WiFi.

I hope this helps.

@Corry P 

Thank you very much indeed, it is no problem at all having one speaker permanently wired as it sits right next to my router anyway, so now I have my speakers back!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NCW65 

Please keep the router and speaker as far apart as you are able - ideally, at least 1m (3 feet).

Userlevel 7

@AjTrek1 thanks, that is a very serious bit of kit, do you have one of them or have put it in as a pair?  I’m not sure I want to be spending close to £800 on routers.

@NCW65 

I actually have 3 setup as a mesh. One set as a main the other two as satellites The two satellites are wired back to the main router via Ethernet which is called a wired Backhaul vs using one of the bands to sync everything.

Followed that set of instructions and have also been on the phone to Sonos support for a couple of hours trying to fix it, I left the support team when they asked me to reset my router, did that and tried again same thing.

I was then asked to try changing the settings on the router to switch off 5Ghz network, same thing.

I was then asked (this time by Sky) to switch from WPA3-T security mode to WPA-2, and I am now adding back on here because I get the same message.

I go through the set up, I find the product and I add the product, it asks me to join the Temp Sonos network which I do, it then finds the Sky network and asks if I want to join that which I do, and finally it asks for the password.

At this point it tells me it failed to connect to the network because my password doesn’t work.

Same error here. Like this stuff is way too expensive for them not to have a resolution to this problem

Userlevel 7

Same error here. Like this stuff is way too expensive for them not to have a resolution to this problem

I suggest you look at the answer given by @Corry P and the response from @NCW65.