Answered

Sonos and TP Link Wifi Extender

• 2 October 2023
  • 2 replies

I have several Sonos speakers. Due to my house being small but having ridiculously thick walls I have to use a TP link extender. My set up is as follows:

- Speaker 1 to my Plusnet router via ethernet

- Speaker 2 attached to the TPLink by ethernet

- speaker 3 connected to TP Link by Wifi

- Speaker 4 connected to Plusnet via Wifi

I have some issues when switching from the TP Link wifi to the Plusnet wifi and sometimes I lose a device. Should I remove all ethernet connections or just keep one speaker attached to the Plusnet router?

I have set the TP Link to be the same name and password as the Plusnet wifi but I still seem to have to switch from one to the other.

icon

Best answer by ratty 2 October 2023, 15:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You’ve stumbled upon one of the reasons that Sonos doesn’t support extenders: because they typically mangle the MAC addresses of attached devices into ‘virtual’ MACs it can cause problems when moving from one side of the extender (the TP-Link WiFi) to the other (the Plusnet WiFi).

The standard advice would be to use a meshed WiFi (router + node). Does Plusnet not offer anything along those lines? BT does.

You could try simply unwiring the speaker currently wired to the extender.

I don’t kow what a meshed Wifi is, but I can ask them.

I will unwire Speaker 2 and see if this makes a difference.

Thank you!