Question

Sonos and DNS

• 16 December 2020
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

I live outside the US, so I use a DNS masking device to get a US-based TV streaming services like Netflix and Hulu.  I would like to be able to also play my own music - not just Spotify’s playlists.  I have thousands of my own songs and music playlists that I have put together and spent hundreds of dollars on that are stuck in iTunes.  I don’t pay for Apple Music and don’t want to pay for more services.  But I can’t seem to be able to get my music to be able to play on Sonos speakers (Play 1 and Play 3).  I spent a few hours on the phone with the Sonos technicians who concluded that my DNS device was causing the music in my iTunes library not to be able to sync with their Sonos system.   The DNS device is not something that you can just turn on and off - it’s web based.  It’s a bit of a pain to turn off and reset every time I want to be able to want to listen to watch TV or listen to music.  I also contacted the DNS service to see what they could do but they told me that they only deal with streaming services and that I would maybe have to reconfigure my Sonos speaker’s DNS.  Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I use VPN tunneling between my AmpliFi router in the USA and another one in Mexico. I only use it for video services, but the same process I am sure would work for my Sonos devices but never had a problem with Apple Music in MX.

There is no way to adjust the DNS settings on Sonos gear that I am aware of, you need a router-level VPN configuration to break the geo-block and get through the Great Firewall too I guess?