Songs not showing up in sonos app

• 10 February 2023
  • 22 replies

Badge

New songs I have downloaded aren't showing up in "On This Mobile Device". I have checked and the sounds are also in my music folder on my Android phone. I haven't had to move and audio files before amd it's suddenly not showing my newly downloaded songs. They are downloaded as mp3 files. Need halp!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Are the new tracks from the same source as tracks you have previously added successfully?  I just wonder if there is metadata missing or wrong so that they are failing to show up or are showing up as “Various” instead of under the Artist name, for example.

Or, possibly, have they been placed in a different ‘folder’ than the normal music folder? Sonos doesn’t have the capability to look in other areas on your Android device. 

Badge

Or, possibly, have they been placed in a different ‘folder’ than the normal music folder? Sonos doesn’t have the capability to look in other areas on your Android device. 

THanks for the reply.  I've checked, they are in the audio files section. I also discovered that some of the songs just have static, even though they play fine through the phone and are downloaded as mpegs.

Are they songs you’ve purchased/ripped or downloaded as part of a streaming service?  I believe tracks you’ve downloaded as part of a streaming service can only be played through the streaming service app.

Badge

Are they songs you’ve purchased/ripped or downloaded as part of a streaming service?  I believe tracks you’ve downloaded as part of a streaming service can only be played through the streaming service app.

All my music is ripped, but I've never had an issue until the last 12 songs wouldn't show. The new playlists I had made in samsung music also won't show.

Have you taken a look at the metadata yet?

It's not a compilation album?

Were they ripped with the same software as previously?

Badge

Have you taken a look at the metadata yet?

It's not a compilation album?

Were they ripped with the same software as previously?

Yeah I downloaded them from the same website. It's not a compilation album. They're format are mpegs. All my songs are in the Audio file, but sonos won't find the last 12 songs I downloaded.

It is possible that the bit rate of those .mp4s is not supported. Not all .mp4s are created the same. Take a look at the supported audio formats FAQ.

Badge

It is possible that the bit rate of those .mp4s is not supported. Not all .mp4s are created the same. Take a look at the supported audio formats FAQ.

Thanks. I checked and they're downloaded as mp3s. The tracks are all identical to the older songs I downloaded that work. I also tried to do the scanning of the music library, but it doesn't seem to work either. 

As shown on that link I provided, there’s a limit to the upper end on bitrate on .mp3s as well. You can insert any format name into that post. .mp3, .mp4, while they’re all slightly different, each has a possible limit to what Sonos can play 

Badge

As shown on that link I provided, there’s a limit to the upper end on bitrate on .mp3s as well. You can insert any format name into that post. .mp3, .mp4, while they’re all slightly different, each has a possible limit to what Sonos can play 

Yeah I saw that, none exceed 320. I just can't seem to figure out why they won't show. I tried going switching from s2 to s1, vise versa. I have some issues with my playlists not showing up either. I deleted a playlist on my samsung music app but my sonos still shows it. I also created and playlist on the Samsung app and it doesn't show on the sonos app. So frustrating lol

If they’re encoded at something higher than 320, neither S1 or S2 will play them. This is why @John B was suggesting looking at the metadata. It should include what the encoding is, if memory serves.

Just downloading files from random places on the internet isn’t always a great tactic...

Badge

If they’re encoded at something higher than 320, neither S1 or S2 will play them. This is why @John B was suggesting looking at the metadata. It should include what the encoding is, if memory serves.

Just downloading files from random places on the internet isn’t always a great tactic...

Ive been using this site for about 7 years now with no issues. I still can download songs with no issues, but its just sonos thats not recognizing it. Is it possible to lookup the metadata through my android phone where I downloaded it?

Is it possible to lookup the metadata through my android phone where I downloaded it?

@Joe95y 

I am not aware of anything but there might be.   If you have any sort of computer it would be a trivial matter to copy a couple of files across and take a look.  You can just use file explorer on a PC and look at the file properties, or downloaded a tag editor like mp3tag.

The sort of issue I am looking for is missing or incorrect tags.  If the Artist or Album tag were missing or incorrect, for example, the tracks may not turn up, or may be in a different place in the track list from where you are looking.  Special characters like ! and * can sometimes cause problems.

One other troubleshooting suggestion.  Download another track from your usual source (but different artist etc) and put it in the usual place and see if that shows up in Sonos.

Badge

Is it possible to lookup the metadata through my android phone where I downloaded it?

@Joe95y

I am not aware of anything but there might be.   If you have any sort of computer it would be a trivial matter to copy a couple of files across and take a look.  You can just use file explorer on a PC and look at the file properties, or downloaded a tag editor like mp3tag.

The sort of issue I am looking for is missing or incorrect tags.  If the Artist or Album tag were missing or incorrect, for example, the tracks may not turn up, or may be in a different place in the track list from where you are looking.  Special characters like ! and * can sometimes cause problems.

One other troubleshooting suggestion.  Download another track from your usual source (but different artist etc) and put it in the usual place and see if that shows up in Sonos.

THanks I'll take a look into this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Joe95y 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It’s worth noting that the On This Mobile Device feature relays the Android music library to Sonos - it does no file cataloguing of it’s own. Therefore, for Sonos to play new files, they must appear in the built-in music app (or most other music apps) first. This indexing is usually done at boot, so rebooting your Android device after downloading new files may help with the issue you report. You can also get apps that will trigger a re-indexing of media files on Android without a reboot being needed.

I hope this helps.

It should always be the first port of call…. switch it off and switch it on again.

@Joe95y - if this or anything else works, please post back for the benefit of other users.  And to satisfy my curiosity.

Badge

Hi @Joe95y 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It’s worth noting that the On This Mobile Device feature relays the Android music library to Sonos - it does no file cataloguing of it’s own. Therefore, for Sonos to play new files, they must appear in the built-in music app (or most other music apps) first. This indexing is usually done at boot, so rebooting your Android device after downloading new files may help with the issue you report. You can also get apps that will trigger a re-indexing of media files on Android without a reboot being needed.

I hope this helps.

The newest songs all play fine in the samsung music app. I tried restarting the sonos and phone but none seem to fix the issue. I also tried to disconnect the sonos and reconnect it but that also didn't work. I'm also having issues with the playlists in the sonos app.  Usually the playlists on my samsung music app show up in the sonos app,  but new playlists won't show and added songs in the playlist won't show in the sonos app. 

Badge

It should always be the first port of call…. switch it off and switch it on again.

@Joe95y - if this or anything else works, please post back for the benefit of other users.  And to satisfy my curiosity.

I tried turning it off and on but that doesn't seem to work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Joe95y 

The newest songs all play fine in the samsung music app. I tried restarting the sonos and phone but none seem to fix the issue. I also tried to disconnect the sonos and reconnect it but that also didn't work. I'm also having issues with the playlists in the sonos app.  Usually the playlists on my samsung music app show up in the sonos app,  but new playlists won't show and added songs in the playlist won't show in the sonos app. 

In that case, my advice would be to concentrate on @John B’s advice:

If you have any sort of computer it would be a trivial matter to copy a couple of files across and take a look.  You can just use file explorer on a PC and look at the file properties, or downloaded a tag editor like mp3tag.

Although, if you’re able to get a slightly different version of the same music from your website, perhaps it would be easier to replace the problem files with different versions rather than to try to figure out what the issue is with them?

Regarding the missing playlists, please try the following steps:

• On the Samsung device, open the Samsung Music app
  • Tap the 3 dots at the top right corner of the app and select Settings
  • Scroll down to Export my Playlists and select the affected playlist(s)
  • Select Export

I hope this helps.

I have the same issue with all my classical music grayed out in the Sonos app as well as random songs in various albums. My easy solution is to simply not use the Sonos app. Any music from any source can be sent to the Sonos system from Android or Apple phones. In Spotify there’s a small speaker icon in the lower left and with Apple use Airplay. Swipe down from the top of the screen to access the control panel and in the upper right music panel touch Airplay and the Sonos will be an option. 

Makes sense, since both Apple and Google have removed the ability of Sonos to ‘play from this device’ for Android and iOS.