Skip to main content

I added a new Victrola Stream turntable to an existing Sonos system in my home. I don't have any problems with this Sonos system, no dropouts, it's reliable (yes, there are app related issues like everyone else but things otherwise work well). All the Sonos speakers are connected via WiFi.

The turntable is connected wirelessly to the Sonos system via WiFi. Streaming settings on the turntable currently set to lossless and medium delay. The turntable is in a room with two identical Era 100 speakers. The WiFi access point is also in this room. All devices, speakers and turntable, report strong WiFi signals.

The turntable is able to play music on all but one of my Sonos speakers throughout my property flawlessly. No dropouts, no issues.…

Except on one of the Era 100 speakers in the room with the turntable. If streaming to that speaker there is at least one dropout per song, sometimes more.

As mentioned I have another identical Sonos Era 100 speaker in the room with the turntable, and if the turntable is switched to that speaker it streams just fine, no dropouts.

All Sonos speakers report strong WiFi signal and the glitching Era 100 has NO cutouts/dropouts when streaming from any other source (Spotify, TV, whatever).

I've also tried adjusting streaming compression and delay to maximum. This had no effect on drops to the offending speaker. I've also tried connecting the turntable via Ethernet. No change. Streams fine to all speakers except the troublesome Era 100.

If I have the Victrola app open when the dropout happens, and the speaker I'm having problems with is selected, it momentarily disappears from the app.

I should mention that I've reset the offending speaker a number of times (I've NOT reset and then let it sit for a few days - or however long it takes for the system to forget about the speaker). I've also moved other speakers into the room with no issues, so I don't believe I have interference issues that are affecting the speaker.

As I said, my Sonos system works well (save random app issues we're all having). I get no other dropouts, even with the offending speaker. It's just streaming from the turntable to this one Sonos speaker that is a problem. Very odd.

Thoughts?

First I'd try moving the iffy speaker just to make sure it isn't in a bad spot. Put it 3 feet from any other electrical device (radio or not) and rest it there.

If that fails get it to glitch, submit a couple diagnostics (as they are sometimes corrupted) and contact Sonos support when you have the time to wait out the support hold queue.

I'll do that. I've been dreading spending 2 hours of my life on hold.