Answered

S1 to S2 upgrade - connection issues

• 19 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

My Play 5 (Gen1) died and I replaced it with an Era 300 which means I had to upgrade my entire system (10 other sonos units) from S1 to S2.  I have 2 main issues since upgrade to S1: 1) the various sonos units appear and disappear from the S2 app randomly.  They may show up on the Sonos window app and not on the iphone app.  They may be playing music but not show up at all on the iphone mobile app.  Sometimes I will get them all into a group and then they will de-group themselves.  2) When I do get all the sonos units grouped together and playing a song, the music will randomly drop and then rejoin from different units multiple times during the playing of a song, almost like someone is flicking an on/off switch to various units throughout the house during the song.

The S1 setup ran flawlessly for years and I have not changed anything on the wifi/router setup, just updated from S1 to S2.

Does anyone have a solution or advise?

Thanks!!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 January 2024, 10:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Era300 obviously requires a WiFi connection. Is the rest of the system all on WiFi or is there a wired Sonos device? Kindly describe your WiFi arrangements.  

Clearly the upgrade to S2 will have rebooted all the units. Have you tried restarting the entire network?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If restarting the network helps consider adding static/reserved addresses for all Sonos from your router’s DHCP server page. That helps a lot of folks with update/restart or power fail/restore issues.

You don’t list what you have in your profile, letting folks know that can aid us in pointing you to equipment related issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@bwhite0 

Your routers wifi settings shouldn’t use automatic channel selection. 
And if your home network exists of more than a router, wifi extenders are a problem if they don’t belong to a Sonos compatible mesh system. 

Userlevel 7

@bwhite0

@Schlumpf answer was correct about extenders causing problems. However, don’t bother searching the Sonos website for “compatible Sonos mesh networks” as there is no such database. Networking equipment is typically generic; unless you are doing some next level tweaking.

Some ISP provided equipment can be difficult and may require their intervention to get things configured properly. Which is why I only use their modem and supply my own router(s).

What follows may be a bit off subject; so my apologies.

If you are using or considering a mesh network just make sure the satellites are not capable of generating their own IP addresses. The main node (router) should be the only device with DHCP capabilities.

Most turnkey (out of the box) mesh networks consist of a main node (router) and 1 or 2 satellites that can placed strategically around your home to expand the WiFi. Setup is typically straightforward with step by step instructions. Some even offer YouTube videos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I know outside Germany the AVM Fritzbox devices are not such widespread as over here, but if a mesh network is needed from my own point of view I just can recommend them. They work quite good with Sonos system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

There is this, that you can use as an “avoid” list but as said it has no recommendations:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/incompatible-network-hardware

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bwhite0 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Was your old Play:5 wired to ethernet? If it was, it was also providing a wireless network for your other speakers to connect to, something that an Era 300 won’t do. So, the entire topology of your Sonos system may have changed, which would explain the change in performance.

Regardless, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

Thank you all for your responses and ideas.  I’m going to start working through this list to see if any of these ideas work.

To answer the first response, my system was/is:
2-play:5 (gen 1) (wifi) - replaced with 1 Era 300 and 1 Era 100

2-play:1 (wifi)

2-sub (gen 2) (wifi)

1-Move (wifi)

1-Amp (wired)

2-Playbar (wifi)

1-Connect:Amp (wired)

1-Play:3 (wifi)

My wifi is Orbi (Netgear) with 1 active satellite

Thanks again for all the help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Your wired devices are goingt to enable SonosNet and your SonosNet capable devices will connect to that instead of your WiFi if they can. The Era Sonos will only do WiFi and ignore SonosNet.