Skip to main content
Question

running Sonos speakers without Sonos Connect?

• 23 July 2024
  • 2 replies

I have a pair of Fives and Ones and have been using a Sonos Connect for years with them.  I had originally bought the Connect as a means to bring in audio from my CD player.  I have now gone to streaming only and don’t need that feature.   My understanding is that the Connect creates its own network which the speakers connect with.

In an effort to reduce clutter, etc I am considering getting rid of the Connect and having all the speakers link directly to my home Wifi network.

Is there a down side to this?   Am I going to see any performance issue if I do?

How best to do this?

Thx

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

If I read your post correctly, you’ve got your Sonos Connect linked to your router with an ethernet cable. This enables Sonos products to use their own SonosNet 2.4 Ghz wifi. However, you can do the same with either a One or a Five and it will work in the same way.

If you disconnect the ethernet link then your Ones and Fives will use your home WiFi. This can, and does, work well but can also be affected by the quality of your WiFi in terms of things like signal strength and possible interferences. If you’ve got a reliable system as it stands, I’d just swap the ethernet cable from the Connect to one of the Fives or Ones at least to start with.

Badge +3

Thx.

My Connect is cabled with ethernet directly to my router.   However, none of my speakers are close to the router so cabling to a speaker would be difficult.

I would be having all the speakers connecting directly to the home wifi network.  As long as this is reliable on the Sonos side I am thinking it will work.  We are using a mesh router, Eero, which has worked very well for us so far.

So, if I remove the Connect, will all the speakers now connect to my home wifi automatically or will there be a manual setup procedure?   It has been years since I played with the Sonos system.