Raiplay APP

• 16 December 2022
  • 6 replies

I connected Sonos Beam + Sub + 2 One SL to my TV Samsung UE65NU7090UXZT and the whole system works pretty well with most apps installed on my TV (Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube, ecc).

I am facing a problem with the Italian TV app: Raiplay, ver. 2.9.0 (29). Watching films, no problems with advertising, but when the movie starts any voice and sound disappears. Willing to watch a certain film, I had to disconnect the Beam, usually connected on HDMI/ARC port. In this case, no problems with soundtracks.

By the way, I integrated Sub and One SL just a few weeks ago. Before that no problems with Raiplay.

I asked support also to Samsung; they took remote control and master reset TV; afterward I reinstalled all apps, with no difference with respect to before. The problem is still there.

6 replies

So, as a guess, the issue is with the content on the app. If commercials/advertising works properly, then the speaker connection is working the way it should, it’s just the movie content that is broken.

Which makes me wonder what kind of codec is being sent by the app to the TV, and then on to the Beam. Are there audio settings that you can access for the app? Any way to see what codec is in use (stereo, PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos?) For instance, ARC can’t handle the full version of Dolby Atmos, only the Dolby Digital Plus version. For the full version, the connection needs to be via eARC, and not just ARC. Subtle stuff, I’d agree. Not as easy to “know” if you’re an average person who’s never dealt with this. Shoot, I only learned about it all because of issues in my own system. 

Thank you Bruce,

I think your hypothesis explains the problem. Now, I’ll try to collect information about the Raiplay APP and in particular about that movie: other contents on the same platform (in addition to commercials) are correctly played.

I don’t know anything about eARC either: I’ll find out but I suppose my TV set does not integrate it.

Just for your information: the movie I am referring to is the following:

https://www.raiplay.it/video/2021/05/Wake-Up---Il-risveglio-bb2eae27-d97d-49f3-ad1b-291a20b730e8.html

Ciao,

Sandro

Unfortunately, that link doesn’t bring up details for me….I do get to the website, and am able to look at my cookie settings, but there is no detail about the movie you’re referencing. Perhaps I’m geo-locked? Hard for me to tell for sure, I’m not familiar enough with the language to tell what i can see there. But most of that link is a blank page for me. 

Even the Apple TV has a built in system where the OS can change a MAT (Dolby Atmos) container, which can only be carried on eARC,  into a lower rez format such as Dolby Digital plus, which can be carried on ARC. 

And there is some chatter in another thread that it may be possible that Sonos is not playing a Dolby Digital 1.0 (mono) signal, although I’m not yet convinced on that, nor do I understand why a mono source would be encoded in a Dolby Digital container.

But as you suggest, if the commercials are working, and the movie isn’t, then essentially it’s a problem with the source material, and not really the Sonos. I’d certainly be double checking the audio settings for that app, if there are any, to make sure I knew what options it was set to send, and then checking the movie(s) to see what codec they’re encoded in. 

Sorry I can’t be of further assistance, my Italian is non existent. 

Thank you, I gave me a lot of information.

I suppose you are right and Raiplay.it is geo-locked to Italy. I tried to analyze the file using VLC but I didn’t succeed.

Anyhow, probably what you wrote is the correct explanation, so I should find the way to upgrade the TV sound output to eARC or, as I did yesterday, disconnect the Sonos system when I face this problem.

Please don’t worry about any further assistance: you did a lot for me.

I’m going to be annoying and give you a bit more information ;)

If your TV does not have eARC (and I haven’t looked it up), there are two ways of getting eARC. Buying a newer TV, which is fairly expensive, or getting an external adapter that has the electronics in it to extract and eARC signal to send to the Sonos, before the video reaches the TV. 

There is the HD Fury Arcana, the Feintech VAX04101k, and the latest, and least expensive, I think,  is the OREI HDA-935. Check your local retailers for availability, or Amazon. You can also order from those links from the companies directly.

Very good suggestions! I looked for some converter box because the upgrade of my TV is not possible, and I didn’t find good solutions.

I’ll take these devices into account!

Thank you