Answered

Please help me understand how sonos fails so i can mitigate

• 25 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi All,

I’ve been fighting with my sonos speakers for about 5years now. I never seem to lose hope and each year I think I figure it out, then a few weeks go by and im back to square one.

This year I really thought I had it figured out by creating a dedicated network just for my speakers and then advertising a 2.4Ghz only wireless network for that network which again only my speakers connect to. That way there is no more sonosnet. There is no other interference on the network. 

Everything worked great for 16days and then i wake up to:

Here is what the speakers look like on my network when this happens(notice the “wifi” column - theyre all dropped off from a router standpoint...but in the app theyre in a state where they are connected to the wifi, but they arent responding? how?..):

So I reboot my entire network. All devices go offline. This is very disruptive, but its gotta work right?:

Nope theyre jacked up still...everything else on my other networks are connected right back up. Sonos app just shows the same screen with the gear icon and “Lets Fix it” at the top (which never works).

The final fix (its been over an hour now), is i have to walk around the house and unplug each speaker, wait 5mins, plug them back in...its insane. Theyre hard to get to so this isnt a sustainable solution.

TLDR:
What is happening with my speakers? How do they all just drop off a very stable unifi network, where they(speakers) have their own dedicated network and 2.4Ghz SSID? And how can i fix this next time it happens WITHOUT resetting each speaker’s power?

icon

Best answer by controlav 26 April 2024, 01:03

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I can’t see your pictures very well on my phone but it looks like you have a UniFi gateway and switch?

There are some STP related settings you must set in UniFi.  If you’ve already done this ignore, but if not check this out:

https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc?tab=readme-ov-file

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

TLDR: KISS

No need for dedicated networks for Sonos, with separate SSIDs, wireless channels, VLANS, etc. It does look like UniFi from the screenshots. I would just connect all the Sonos devices to your home 2.4/5GHz WiFi, dont plug any in to ethernet (SonosNet), and all will be good.

As soon as you try to make things more complicated, it will break, even though you may (or may not) enjoy the network problem solving/learning exercise of trying to fix a more complex setup.

I don’t recommend wiring SONOS units to the UDM PRO, wire them to switches.

Yep its all unifi router/switches/ap’s

Thanks @Bumper I havent seen that before. It looks like the author is calling out folks using wireless & wired at the same time? I do have one single speaker wired to the UDM Pro…i’ll look into that

@craigski  appreciate the idea not to create SSID’s and separate networks. I did that for years and it was a fine until it wasnt. It ended up being a headache as my network grew. I’ve seen the best success creating a separate broadcast domain for sonos.

@buzz thats an interesting one too. Is there perhaps some issue with my one-and-only wired “Laundry” speaker patched to my UDM pro port 4, i’ll just make it wireless?

after considering all this for a minute...

I find it really hard to believe that my one single Play:1 being wired is the main culprit to the full outage. I will put that thing back on wireless and see how long it lasts. I doubt i had that STP issue on the single Play:1 because there weren't any other wired devices on the whole network that couldve created the STP issue...i wouldve only saw the single “Laundry” speaker go down in that case.

UDM PRO does not support STP (unless they’ve recently made a change). The UDM PRO’s setup menu is nasty because there is an STP option to click, but this is simply setting the default for downstream UBIQUITI switches, not the UDM PRO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Tell me you’re a Uni user without telling me you’re a Uni user.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I can’t see your pictures very well on my phone but it looks like you have a UniFi gateway and switch?

There are some STP related settings you must set in UniFi.  If you’ve already done this ignore, but if not check this out:

https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc?tab=readme-ov-file

Or follow Uni’s advice for Sonos

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/18930473041047-Best-Practices-for-Sonos-Devices

but for the love of all things, don’t expect it to work out of the box on a Uni system.