playbar wont connect or reset

• 26 December 2023
  • 12 replies

Hi looking for some help with my playbar. All has been working fine for the whole time I’ve owned it, but this week I started to have problems. In my living room I have a playbar with two play1’s as surround speakers. They all stopped working and were not connecting to the app. The speakers in other rooms were not affected and continued to be useable. I managed to reset both the play1’s and add them back without a problem, but the playbar won’t reset or connect. The white light come on the playbar as soon as you plug it in, and then nothing else. I tried to contact the online help support, but they kept going around in circles saying hold the play/pause button when connecting power. I kept telling them I’ve done that 100 times and it won’t reset. I’ve looked at my router to see if it was connecting or has an ip address, but it was showing as not connected. I deleted it off the router incase it would sort out a ip problem and would connect again, but so far nothing. 
does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it? Or a way to fix it? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

@King-G,

I assume you are powering on the Playbar whilst holding the Play/Pause Button and (importantly) continuing to hold that button until the Status LED changes to flashing Amber (let button go at this point) and wait until it switches to flashing green? If that’s failing, then perhaps try the slightly different process mentioned in this video too…

Just see if either of these things will factory reset it so that you end up with a flashing green light and it’s then ready for adding back to your system.

If no joy, then post back here.

@Ken_Griffiths Correct I have tried this also with no luck. I have actually watched that video before and tried it as he’s saying to hold the play/pause and the volume up button, but that also doesn’t work. I’ve held the button for over 4 minutes and still nothing. 

Okay, so you’ve probably not been able to factory reset the Playbar so far, in which case can a ‘reset’ Sonos App connect back to the Playbar - or have you also tried that already?

I’m thinking if you can connect an App to it and have that original existing ‘Household’ working you can then go onto add your other devices to that (original) system instead.

@Ken_Griffiths how would I go about doing that? Use another device with a brand new Sonos app not connected to my system?

@Ken_Griffiths how would I go about doing that? Use another device with a brand new Sonos app not connected to my system?

No, just reset the Sonos App on your current mobile device - ‘Settings/App Preferences’. It might help to power off your other Sonos products too and just leave the Playbar powered on - it’s hopefully auto-connecting to your router and being assigned an IP address by the DHCP server or you can perhaps wire it to the router (if that’s convenient). If it’s not been factory reset the App should (hopefully) find it on your network.🤞

@Ken_Griffiths Unfortunately that also didn’t work 😢

I’ve turned all the other Sonos off and reset the app, but now it says we can’t find a Sonos system on ‘mynetwork’. Did you make changes to your router or network? 
I have looked through my router and found the playbar but it was saying not connected. I deleted it incase it was causing any problems but it hasn’t connected again. 
also connected it with a Ethernet cable, but it doesn’t do anything and doesn't show up on the router 

@Ken_Griffiths Unfortunately that also didn’t work 😢

I’ve turned all the other Sonos off and reset the app, but now it says we can’t find a Sonos system on ‘mynetwork’. Did you make changes to your router or network? 
I have looked through my router and found the playbar but it was saying not connected. I deleted it incase it was causing any problems but it hasn’t connected again. 
also connected it with a Ethernet cable, but it doesn’t do anything and doesn't show up on the router 

In that case it sounds like a hardware issue and may need a repair/replacement (perhaps?) I guess you could give Sonos Support another try.. 

Are you okay to get your Sonos App connected back to your other speakers? Just power on those speakers and let them settle and connect to the router and the Sonos App should discover them on the network. 

Damn it, that’s what I thought too. Was just hoping there was something else I could try to make it work. Looks like there is only 1 main circuit board inside, maybe I can get a second hand one online and swap out. So annoying to have a dead unit when it’s been looked after so much. 
thanks again though. Yes I’ve reconnected the others again already 👌

Damn it, that’s what I thought too. Was just hoping there was something else I could try to make it work. Looks like there is only 1 main circuit board inside, maybe I can get a second hand one online and swap out. So annoying to have a dead unit when it’s been looked after so much. 
thanks again though. Yes I’ve reconnected the others again already 👌

Yes, I know exactly what you mean - I also do try my level-best to look after my Home devices too and it’s certainly frustrating when something still looks in ‘pristine’ condition and has been cared for, but won’t work - but if the PlayBar is not factory-resetting and is not working on your WiFi, or particularly not showing up when wired to the router, then it does rather sound like a hardware issue.

I see from your community profile that you’re from the UK - so if you search online you may find Sonos repairers. Here’s one I quickly found in a Google search, but I’ve not used them personally and cannot say if their service is any good or not…

https://sonosrepair.co.uk

You could perhaps check a little closer to Home, or even see if Sonos Support can maybe assist you further (perhaps with an upgrade offer etc.) 

Anyhow I’m sorry I was not able to help you get it back up and running.

It’s funny you say that as I am currently looking through that website wondering if they could fix it.  It was the first website I came across for sonos fixing places. I may just bite the bullet and buy the Arc, but then I’m left with a massive paper weight 😂 irritating as I bet it’s only a small issue and the speaks still all work. 
thank you for your help though 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It may not have been your issue but I put all my Sonos on a good surge suppressor to reduce the chances of the power coming in damaging them. Cheap insurance if you get a good one.

Mine has done exactly the same in the last few days. 

Exact same symptoms, powers on but doesn't show up in the app or any other apps, and won't do a factory reset using either method.

Have given up and bought a competitors product instead. It had a good run, mine was from about 2014 I reckon.