Play One not connecting

• 23 December 2017
  • 10 replies

My sonos one is not connecting to my network. I have tried connecting it directly to my router as well to fix the issue, without success. I have two other play one's and a playbase, which are connected to my wireless network without issues. Can I solely reset the troubled play one, or do I need to factory reset all my Sonos speakers? Or is there troubleshooting technique I can use to fix the troubled play one. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Do not factory reset anything.

Take one of the currently working speakers (probabably one of the Play:1s) and plug it into router. Give it a few minutes to adjust and go into controller and make sure all working.

Then plug the new Sonos One into router and goto settings...add new room

Go through steps and let us know where it fails if it does.

Chris
Still not working. When I follow the instructions on when to hold the play and + buttons to obtain the flashing light, there is no chime.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos One I don’t believe you press play and plus you press the connect button on back don’t you
Trying to factory reset my play one also. Made the mistake of switching wifi routers and now its completely useless! You’d think it would be an easy task to just have it connect to another wifi network but no! So then I think ok I’ll just factory reset it that can’t be hard?? But no, they dont even have an option for that so now I have an ethernet cable trailing across my living room to my router and that doesn’t even work!

Come back Homepod all is forgiven! 😠
Feel your pain similar issue for me. I wouldn’t hold out any hope of help on here there don’t seem to beany responses
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ok hold on multiple people here .. Any responses? I responded to the last guy and he never came back (assume it fixed). What other response was there after to make.

Why did you factory reset. Is it your only Sonos unit. If so you have lost your settings and back to square one.

Its a play:1 - why would you have to run a cable across house. Unplug from where it is. Plug in beside router. Plug ethernet into router. setup the speaker. easy as that if you have issue.

I would plug in via ethernet cable to your router. Choose setup new system (boost mode). Run through whole setup to get running. When up and running go to settings...advanced...wifi setup if you want to be able to unplug from the router follow wizard then
Hi Chris, you seem to know a lot about these devices. I'm having a similar issue as the man on this thread. I recently moved and now I can't setup my Play 1 to my new wifi/router. I first had problems with connecting to the "SONOS" wifi -- it wasn't appearing in my list (I'm using an iPhone).I have moved this Play 1 to 3 different apartments, Could that be the issue? Then went ahead and reset my unit, got as far as connecting to "SONOS" wifi, and then I got a message, "There was a connection problem...... If this problem persists, find more information here: faq.sonos.com/wifi_player..... If you can't resolve,.. select alternative setup." I tried that but I don't remember what happened next. I took your advice from another thread you answered regarding using "boost setup" but then I couldn't go any further when the instructions said to connect to my boost. The problem is, I don't have a Boost. I don't get why Sonos support is not available on weekends.
Play1 (our only speaker) can't connect to a new Wifi. There ARE NO ADVANCED SETTINGS to set up new Wifi (very annoying). No chimes to be able to continue Setup (very annoying). Very bad software if so impossible to just do something simple like change the Wifi it connects to??!!?? (works ok hard-wired with ethernet into the Router - just Wifi setup is STUPIDLY NOT WORKING)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you follow the Sonos instructions for changing your WiFi?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US
I had very similar experiences to others here, having changed my router and following the less than helpful notes and video on the Sonos site. Contrary to what Chris says above, for me the answer (after an hour of wasting my time using the Sonos app) was to reset my Sonos Play 1 units one by one and reestablish a new Sonos network. When I had discovered this, it too me less than 10 minutes to completely reset all my units and have a new network based on the new router's wifi signal.

To reset, you just unplug the unit. Then press the connect button (the one with the play and pause symbols), keep pressing this button and plug in the unit again. Continue pressing the button while the light flashes amber and white, then green. When the light shows green, you can release the button. The unit has now been reset, has forgotten the old wifi network and you're ready to go to reestablish the new network.