Answered

Play 5 won't show up in app

• 27 February 2022
  • 25 replies

Badge

I recently added a Beam 2 to my system and ever since my Play 5 disappeared from my system.  My system consistes of

S2 App

1 - Beam (Gen 2)

2 - Play:1

1 - Sonos 1 w/Alexa

1 - Play 5 (Gen1)

Following is what I’ve tried so far:

• Factory reset the Play 5 and go through the setup process again on wireless
  • Factory reset the Play 5 and go through the setup process again hard wired
  • Reset Wireless AP’s, Switch, Firewall, Modem
  • Powered down ALL Sonos devices; Then factory reset the Play 5 and go through the setup process again hard wired.
  • Powered down ALL Sonos devices except Beam which is hard wired; Then factory reset the Play 5 and go through the setup process again hard wired.
  • Powered down ALL Wireless devices including ALL Sonos; Flushed ALL DHCP leases and rebooted the Wireless AP’s, then Factory reset the Play 5 and go through the setup process again hard wired.  This one took me about 90 min. :-(

None of this has resulted in the Play 5 showing up in the app.  I’ve confirmed the Play 5 is defiantly on my network and is receiving a DHCP address by doing a scan on my network. (I’m in IT).

The Play 5 was working perfectly before I added the Beam.  Now, even if I remove the Beam from my system it doesn’t show up in the app.  Also, I’ve tried using the app on 2 different phones, 2 different iPads, and the Mac app.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  

icon

Best answer by Corry P 10 March 2022, 10:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

The Play:5 gen 1 isn’t compatible with S2.  The Beam gen2 is incompatible with S!. They cannot exist in the same system

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

Badge

Hmmm.  I’ve been using S2 for a few years now with no issue.  Are you suggesting that introducing the Beam in to my system is the straw that broke the camel’s back?

Hmmm.  I’ve been using S2 for a few years now with no issue.  Are you suggesting that introducing the Beam in to my system is the straw that broke the camel’s back?

No. i am suggesting that if that is really a gen 1 P:5 you cannot have been using S2 with it. Completely impossible.

Badge

I see.  Then I may be mistaken.  I based it off the pictures.  The model number is S100.  Is there an easy way to tell what Generation it is?

There’s a good picture of the PLAY:5 Gen 1 vs Sonos Five (Gen 2) here:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-v524B3Kgp27/learn/sonos-play-5-review-old-vs-new.html

The gen 1 has physical buttons.  The gen 2 has touch controls.

Badge

Ah!  Thanks @John.  In that case it is a Gen2.

Badge

Thanks @Airgetlam!  Mine is the Gen2 when looking at this picture.  I must have found a picture with an inaccurate description. 

Technically, it is called a Sonos Five, and not a PLAY:5 Gen 2. There really was only one ‘gen’ of the PLAY:5. 

Userlevel 7

Technically, it is called a Sonos Five, and not a PLAY:5 Gen 2. There really was only one ‘gen’ of the PLAY:5. 

There are two generations of the Play:5 and one generation of the Five:

The Sonos logo on the Five is the same color as the speaker. The Sonos logo on the Play:5 (Gen 2) is white.

OK in light of changed situation, I would like to confirm that you reset the Play:5 gen 2 (or Five) correctly.  You might reset this speaker again, making sure you use the ‘join’ button on the back, not the ‘play/pause” control.  Then add to system using ‘Add product’.  

If it won’t add, try cabling it to the router by Ethernet and try to add again.

Please let us know what happens either way.

Badge

@John B ,

Correct, that is the method I’ve been using to Factory Reset it.  Hold down the Join button and plug it back in, wait till it starts flashing orange and white, then finally green.  Then use the app to add it to my system.  This process works whether it is on wireless or wired and says each time that it has been added.  Nonetheless, it never shows up on the app on my Phone, iPad, or Desktop apps.

Currently it is hardwired to my network.

OK.  Is it absent from About My Sonos, as well as from the System tab?

Are any other speakers wired?  Do you specifically add it to the existing system by using ‘Add Product’?

There is no chance you have set it up as a separate system?

One further experiment you might try is:

1. Power off everything but the P:5.
  2. Keep the P:5 connected by Ethernet
  3. Reset the app on one device (under app preferences)
  4. Choose to connect to existing system (if you have that option)
Badge

Thanks @John B ,

I’ll try that tonight.  

No, it is not under systems tab ether after factory reset but I’ll try what you suggested.  Currently, the hardwired speakers are the Beam, Play 5, and one of the Play 1s.  The other 2 speakers are on wireless.

Badge

I finally got around to this last night.  When I unplug everything except the Play 5 and reset the app I don’t have the option to connect to an existing system.

At this point I can’t spend much more time on it.  I just ordered 2 new Play 1 and a new Play 5.

I really appreciate everyone’s help and suggestions!

I finally got around to this last night.  When I unplug everything except the Play 5 and reset the app I don’t have the option to connect to an existing system.

That suggests that you haven’t set it up as a separate system.  It is behaving as if it hadn’t been set up at all - which is at least consistent with everything else you have tried…….

Badge

@John B 

I’m not sure what you mean “That suggests that you haven’t set it up as a separate system”?  Does the Play 5 need to be on it’s own system?  Sorry if I’m being a complete noob! :thinking:

@John B

I’m not sure what you mean “That suggests that you haven’t set it up as a separate system”?  Does the Play 5 need to be on it’s own system?  Sorry if I’m being a complete noob! :thinking:

No, I am sure I was unclear.  It certainly does NOT need to be a separate system.  But sometimes people set up one speaker, then instead of just adding the next speaker as they should, they go through the whole system set up process and create a separate system for the second speaker.  The app can only show one system at a time, so one speaker or the other is always invisible to them.

But on the evidence so far presented you don’t appear to have made that mistake.

The purpose of my suggested experiment was that if the Play:5 was the only speaker powered on, and the app reset, the app should find the Play:5 and offer to connect to that system.  So unless your speaker and controller are on different subnets, i don’t know why the controller isn’t finding speaker.  (But just to be sure, the speaker isn’t currently in ‘factory reset’ state is it?  It has been added to your system?)

Badge

@John B 

Gotcha!  I don’t think I’ve done that.   The Play 5 is not in a “Factory Reset” state that I can tell.  The light is solid white and I can see the IP address for it on my network.

It is strange.  After a Factory Reset it goes through the process and the final message is it has been added to your system but it is no where to be found in the app.

At any rate, I have a new one coming so hopefully that one does not give me any issues.  I’ll try to get the current working another time.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @shannong57 

Thanks for your post!

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Badge

@Corry P 

I will when I get time to do that.  I’ve tried the “Sonos Digital Assistant” which was not very helpful.  The live support hours are not ideal since they coincide with my work schedule.

Badge

@Corry P 

I will when I get time to do that.  I’ve tried the “Sonos Digital Assistant” which was not very helpful.  The live support hours are not ideal since they coincide with my work schedule.

At this point I have another Play 5 coming that will hopefully work out of the box.  

Badge

Well...this is a head scratcher for sure!  This past weekend I fired up the Sonos app and it asked me to finish setting up my Play 5 that has not been working.  So, I went through the motions that I’ve done several times now and low and behold, it now shows up in my app?!??!  

Nothing has changed on my network.  Maybe an app update or something?

Well...this is a head scratcher for sure!  This past weekend I fired up the Sonos app and it asked me to finish setting up my Play 5 that has not been working.  So, I went through the motions that I’ve done several times now and low and behold, it now shows up in my app?!??!  

Nothing has changed on my network.  Maybe an app update or something?

The latest App update was a week ago, so maybe your Sonos App needed updating. or the local firmware? Anyhow good to hear you have sorted it.