Answered

play 5 will not connect to S1

• 22 October 2022
  • 2 replies

I need help adding my Play5 back onto my S-1 controller.  I have a play 1 ; play 3; one; and a move all connected and working fine.  Up until a few days ago, my play 5 was also connected.  I finally did a reset on the speaker and when I try to add this back in, there is a message that I need to update the controller.  Last time I did this I ended up with S-2 and nothing worked.  My S-1 app is running Version 11.5.  My devices are all ver 11.4.  I don’t know what the play 5 was running.  
Help, any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 22 October 2022, 22:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

@KatB,
Leave the Play:5 powered off just for a moment - open the S1 App and check all devices are showing as being on firmware v11.4 in the ‘Settings/System/About My System’ area of the Sonos App.. check each device in the list. If all are on v11.4 then goto ‘Settings/System/System Updates’ and install v11.5 of the Sonos S1 App.

When complete, then go onto install the v11.5 ‘firmware’ to all speakers in your system by simply checking for updates again in the S1 App.

When complete all will then be on version 11.5 of the S1 App.

Next power on your factory reset Play:5 and using ‘Settings/System/Add Product’ add the Play:5 to your system and note it might update to v11.5 too, but this will happen during the install. Read the screens in the App carefully.

The only thing that may cause you issues, is if the Play:5 has previously been updated to use the Sonos S2 version of the App - in which case do not upgrade your compatible S1 products to S2, instead cancel out of the setup and see the link below to first downgrade your Play:5 to make it S1 compatible:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5097

To downgrade a speaker you must first download the S2 App as described in the link - it cannot be done with the S1 App - if that does become necessary, then once you have downgraded, remove the S2 App when the downgrade has been completed.

NB: If you are still worried after reading the above, then my advice is to also power off one S1 only compatible Sonos product as that can then later be used to restore your current S1 system fully if you do make a mistake in the upgrade/setup process.

Hope the above assists.

Thank you so much, really appreciate your time!  I will try this tomorrow and let you know.