Play 5 Gen 1 won't connect after S1 update

• 1 October 2020
  • 48 replies

After updating to S1 my Sonos system worked as usual by following an update to version 11.2.3, build 57381090, my play 5 Gen 1 will no longer connect. I’ve tried all the solutions as per the app to add a missing product, including the factory reset on the speaker and powering down router and hard wiring the speaker with ethernet cable.

I’m left with the mute and dash button flashing green.

Given the CEO of Sonos gave a written assurance that the old speakers would work with the new software, that must mean i’m due a new speaker from Sonos as clearly this is not the case.

Anyone else with this problem?

48 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Hots.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

Doing a factory reset on Sonos will delete registration information, content saved to My Sonos, and music services from a Sonos product. 

Resetting all products within your system will permanently delete your system’s data. It cannot be restored.

Based on the status of the LED light on the Play:5, flashing green means that it was on a setup mode after the reset.

If you have an existing S1 system, you will have to add back the player:

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the  Settings tab, tap System > Add Product.
  3. Follow the steps in the app to connect Play:5 to your Sonos system.

Hopefully, that helps but if not, please submit a diagnostic report, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Thanks you.

I tried the add missing product and I needed to use the alternate method given age of speaker but even though it was hardwired to the router I get a message saying it can't connect. 

I've now submitted a diagnostic report.

Reference is 1915656266.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Hots.

Thanks for the reply and my apologies for the delayed response.

Upon checking on the diagnostic report, it shows that the Play:5 is not cloud-connected, meaning, it’s not getting an internet connection even if it is wired directly to the router.

What is the status of the light on the player? Is it still flashing green?

I noticed that the iOS controller seems to be connected on an access point, please ensure that the controller is connected on the home network, same as where Sonos was set up.

I’d need to check your network set up and how Sonos is running on your system and to see if there’s any known issue on the device(s).

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? 

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Badge

After updating to S1 my Sonos system worked as usual by following an update to version 11.2.3, build 57381090, my play 5 Gen 1 will no longer connect. I’ve tried all the solutions as per the app to add a missing product, including the factory reset on the speaker and powering down router and hard wiring the speaker with ethernet cable.

I’m left with the mute and dash button flashing green.

Given the CEO of Sonos gave a written assurance that the old speakers would work with the new software, that must mean i’m due a new speaker from Sonos as clearly this is not the case.

Anyone else with this problem?

I’m having the same problem. It’s a paper weight now. Tried everything. And the Sonos wifi network the app says it creates to temporarily help join the product never ever shows up in my wifi list. Even when pairing very new speakers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m having the same problem. It’s a paper weight now. Tried everything. And the Sonos wifi network the app says it creates to temporarily help join the product never ever shows up in my wifi list. Even when pairing very new speakers. 

I think you are talking about something other than a Gen 1 Play 5, as that hardware cannot create a temporary wifi network. Please create a new thread and describe exactly what you have, and what you did to get into this state.

I’d love to help with a similar issue. Disconnected a Play 5 (gen 1) from system after upgrading to s2. I’d love to run a separate s1 system now to run a record player to play 5 (gen 1). But cannot get it to connect to s1 app. I’m trying to create a new network on the same account (which I’ve read is def possible) but product is not discovered and can’t do anything to get app connecting to it. Grateful for any help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’d love to help with a similar issue. Disconnected a Play 5 (gen 1) from system after upgrading to s2. I’d love to run a separate s1 system now to run a record player to play 5 (gen 1). But cannot get it to connect to s1 app. I’m trying to create a new network on the same account (which I’ve read is def possible) but product is not discovered and can’t do anything to get app connecting to it. Grateful for any help!

Power down all S2 equipment. Factory reset the Play 5, hardware to router. Re-install the S1 app. Start S1 app, create new system (using your existing Sonos account) using this Play 5. Once set up, power up the S2 stuff. Profit.

Same problem. Moved to new house. All other speakers on my S1 system work except my gen 1 play 5. I’ve also tried everything suggested. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Probably worth submitting a diagnostic report and posting the number here with details of your router, and access point if different, along with the status of the play 5 at the time of the diagnostic.

Hey did anyone get this problem solved? 
I now sit on a play 5 gen 1 that after Wired to the router stops at flashing green and don’t connect.

I contacted the supporT who check the diagnostic but it won’t even show there. 

what can I do? 

Well at least I did not spend to much on my Sonos products. I only have 1 x Sonos Play5 Gen1 and now it does not work, regardless of method used to connect.

Sonos, please fix the IOS app (at least)!!!

My Play5 has become an expensive paper weight. Not a good image for a company who promised so much!

I’m knowledgeable about this very issue, and i tried to wire the Play5 directly to my router with a NIC cable and that seems to work. When on WiFi i cannot add it to my system setup.  after running the same update is when i started having issue.  the Funny thing is that I have 2 Play5 G1.  i took the second one from storage. plugged in and i was happy it was working but then… I needed to do an update and guess what happened.  the same exact thing, wifi stopped working.  what ever code was put in that version to block the communications to get registered in Sonos cloud that was the change in the software which is the PROBLEM. NO ISSUES AS A long as I’ve had this system until this latest update. I’ve had these PLAY5’s as long as they have been out.

I have the similar question. can’t add Play 5(gen 1) into the network. 

Tried all methods— connecting to pc and router and reset. Spent 30 Minutes fighting with it only to conclude Sonos bricked this first gen play 5 if you ever change WiFi 

I have the exact same problem. Did the factory reset on play 5 gen 1

Green light flashing but can’t get it to connect to the app. Can’t find the product on app

tried all the trouble shooting  someone pls help

Plug the errant PLAY:5 in to the router with an Ethernet cable, then submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

If everyone is having the same problems(me to)its obviously software issues that need to be addressed.I’ve been chasing my tail trying to get my two play fives to connect.Plugging into router,temporarily WiFi that don’t work.COME ON SONOS!

Let me lend my voice to the chorus...

I spent MANY MANY thousands of dollars of gen 1 products so I am in no mood to buy gen 2 products which they are constantly trying to bum rush me over to.   It looks like someone took over and said whoops we really didn’t think ahead to monetize this so they forced jammed us to now have to login and go through sonos to use products that we long since paid for so that they can sniff, peddle and control everything we do with the product.  That’s patently shameful and outrageous scum-baggery. Furthermore they will not publish an overview of how their networks interconnect so that we could maybe just figure out where these problems (and I have had many) lie. Further still I just want the speakers to play music I select.  That’s it.  Would have been nice if I could feed the speakers directly from my PC or phone but cannot understand for the life of me why that feature was never introduced - but maybe if they shared how their networks are set up I might have some sympathy. 

Lastly I do not need your suggestions,  I do not need your play lists I do not need your radio I want you out of my pants and god help me if you are sharing my music selections or any other exploitable information (like my location - lord knows why that is all of a sudden necessary) with third parties and monetizing it in any way.  I will in short never buy another Sonos system again if for no other reason than angry spite and tell others the same every chance I get.

Now I just moved two Gen 1 Play 5 speakers to a newly created network.  One of them connected and the other cannot be detected using the exact same procedures.  The speakers were paired on a previous network but despite factory resetting both the second speaker cannot be found and yes tried all of the childish suggestions.  I waiting for a not obvious suggestion.

Somebody should read the privacy statement before launching into a silly rant.  At least then you could limit your bitch to things Sonos actually does.

PS - They use your location to geofence services and to list local radio.  Oooooh, how nefarious of them! :rolling_eyes:

PPS - Come in here with that attitude and you'll be waiting a long time for your "not obvious suggestion".  Merry Christmas!

I am having the same issue.    Paly 5 Gen 1  won’t hook up.!     Reset, rebooted. spend an hour one the phone with tech support running diagostics.  Nothing.  

I am going to buy the new Gen 2 at a 30% trade in discount.     Really like the products but i don’t like software glitch that was obviously designed into the update. 

Userlevel 2

Me too - pair of Gen 1 S5s and the white bridge thingy. Bricked as far as I can tell.

Replace the white bridge thingy with a BOOST. The BRIDGE, at its age, is known for failing power supply issues, which can cause very difficult to determine issues.

Conversely, you could just wire directly to the speaker, and drop the BRIDGE completely, or set up your system to directly connect to your WiFi, as indicated in the wired and wireless modes FAQ.

I have the same issue. Moved and now my gen1 play 5 won’t work. I spent a long time reading these boards and got it to work with Ethernet plugged in but cannot get it over to Wi-Fi. Submitted diagnostic report (729244169). Sounds like this may not be possible to fix reading this message board though.

I have the same issue. Moved and now my gen1 play 5 won’t work. I spent a long time reading these boards and got it to work with Ethernet plugged in but cannot get it over to Wi-Fi. Submitted diagnostic report (729244169). Sounds like this may not be possible to fix reading this message board though.

It initially sounds like it’s the WiFi adapter not working on the speaker, but have you tried re-adding the WiFi credentials to the speaker again, whilst it’s wired to your LAN? See below:

1. Open the Sonos S1 Controller app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, press System > Network > Wireless Setup and follow the prompts to enter your Wi-Fi password.
  3. Once the wireless setup is complete, disconnect the Ethernet cable from any Sonos products wired to your router.

If that fails, then I would cable the speaker back to the LAN and when it reappears in the App, submit a Sonos diagnostic report once again, note it’s reference and contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what they say.

I’m having the same problem.  I do remember that the Sonos CEO said there would be no loss of functionality in their S1 products.   I have also been frustrated by not being able to control my Sonos speakers when my phone is in the inactive screen mode.   When I first started buying Sonos products it inactive screen control was very functional.    I see thousands of people have replied to previous posts in this chain - but I don’t see anything that indicates that Sonos is doing much of anything to restore S1 products to their original functionality.   Sonos keeps sending me marketing emails touting their newest products.   Why would anyone with S1 products (that seem to be increasingly less functional) buy any new Sonos products????         I’M WONDERING IF SOME SORT OF CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT MIGHT GET THEIR ATTENTION.   ANYONE ELSE AGREE?