Answered

play 5 gen 1 not working w/ s1 nor s2 apps

• 27 February 2021
  • 20 replies

Hello, I’m not able to use my somos play 5 gen 1 after completing all updates of apps and system.

S1 can find it as its wired to router but prompts using s2 app. And s2 app not able to see the system.

S1 iOS app is v11.2.5

S2 iOS app is v12.2.7

both iOS apps can see the play 5 gen 1, but each one highlights the other app to use it but none can supervise it.

My other Sonos play3 and One working fine with S2. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 10 March 2021, 17:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Confused by your description: you say “S1 can find it”, so that’s good. S2 “not able to see system”, as it is not S2 compatible, and that is expected.

You can cancel the “upgrade to S2” prompt that the S1 app shows, see other threads on that.

Not clear what the problem really is.

Hello ControlAV, thanks for your time in stopping by. I apologies for the unclear message.

So yeah, s2 can find the play 5 gen 1 but prompt s1 to supervise. S1 won’t remove that non-stop message to switch to s2, there’s no button to remove that annoying unhelpful message. I’ve seen some of similar or identical issue at support forum, asking customer to remove the app notification via webpage. Is this the solution you’re referring to? If not how to remove that message?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

To remove the annoying prompt from the S1 app:

System→System Tools →System Compatibility Check → Learn More → Continue Using S1 → Confirm

referencing the attached photo. I’ll not be able to navigate through the instruction provided above without removing this prompt message. I’ve tried to switch wifi off, it worked, message was removed yet the system button was grayed out, can’t be clicked. Enabled wifi again and message is back. I’m I doing it the wrong way? Sonos used to be super easy and neat, for past few months it’s being nothing but frustration and despair.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So what does “More options” or “Learn More” say?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Kalamdi 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Are you still having this problem? I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

If you’d like to try fix it by yourself, however, it may be best to factory reset the Play:5 and reset the S1 app and set them both up as a new system. That way, S2 will ignore the S1 system, and the S1 app will ignore the S2 system.

Note that if you do this, the speaker will no longer have any favourites or playlists that were created in the Sonos app. 

I’m having terrible problems in the same area as described above. A few weeks ago my android app stopped working (strangely I can still play through laptop, so I know the devices work etc). 

I fac reset S5 and had very limited success. I also have a beam which normally works on S1. But now can’t use anything. 

I try to add to “existing network” = nothing

I then try to create new = nothing either. 

I will attempt to re boot router again, which does tend to work (I don’t know how this makes a difference myself) and then the next day I have the same issues all over again. 

Seriously considering going back into the loft and digging out all my cd’s and setting up my seperates system again. whats the point of a “convenient” system like a Sonos if it doesn’t blinkin well work !!!!! argghhhh….

Any chance you’re using a BT smart hub 2 router?

omg yes….

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/bt-smart-hub-2-connection-issues-april-2021-6857959

wow- thanks a mil..

Maybe this was the reason that the bridge used to be a good idea ! 

but they wanted rid of it..

I’d stay away from any BRIDGE at this point, and stick with a BOOST. It can run either S1 or S2 as needed, and has a better power supply, and is generally better, since it came out several years after the original BRIDGE design. 

Hello, do you know if changing my router would work for this?

really apprecaite your help! tks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hello, do you know if changing my router would work for this?

really apprecaite your help! tks 

For sure. Unless its an Asus router, which has its own Sonos compatibility issues.

Hi, Actually it’s working again today - hey presto. Since I recorded the fault with BT only yesterday. 

seems too much of a coincidence. and I don’t know what they have done!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi, Actually it’s working again today - hey presto. Since I recorded the fault with BT only yesterday. 

seems too much of a coincidence. and I don’t know what they have done!

Probably random. I’ve seen no notice of BT fixing anything. Once one of your devices jumps to the other radio frequency, your problem will return.

Agree it seems very random,. but it is now fixed and BT have “closed” my case. So I hope their fix works (whatever they did...)?

time will tell lol..

I’ve been having the same issues over the last couple of days where my Play:5 (gen 1) is non-existent on my S1 app so i need to re-set it up again and plug it directly to my router, etc. Works for a day and then in the morning i have to do the same thing again. Very frustrating!

Most recent diagnostic code 304457904. Got this code when it just stopped playing and lost control of the app, but it did come good again in a few minutes. Just tried going back into the S1 app and nope gone again “Sonos found Connect” message again!!!!! but music has just come on again automatically, weird!

Please help.

I’ve been having the same issues over the last couple of days where my Play:5 (gen 1) is non-existent on my S1 app so i need to re-set it up again and plug it directly to my router, etc. Works for a day and then in the morning i have to do the same thing again. Very frustrating!

Most recent diagnostic code 304457904. Got this code when it just stopped playing and lost control of the app, but it did come good again in a few minutes. Just tried going back into the S1 app and nope gone again “Sonos found Connect” message again!!!!! but music has just come on again automatically, weird!

Please help.

This could be anything from a WiFi connection (interference) issue, to a hardware problem. Is the speaker doing the same thing when it’s wired to the network, or if it’s moved nearer to the Router? If it continues, particularly when cabled aswell, then I would contact Sonos Support - they may need a further diagnostic report, whilst the device is actually connected and visible in the App. Here is a link to contact Sonos Support - LINK (if required).