Answered

Play:3 won't connect after factory reset and wired to router

• 11 January 2023
  • 7 replies

I’ve moved into a new house and am trying to setup the Play:3 speaker. I have factory reset it since it’s been a few years since i’ve used the speaker and I am receiving an error that the WiFi has a problem when attempting setup. I have it wired to the router and it still cannot find it.

Any help here?

icon

Best answer by sonochumpo 12 January 2023, 01:32

View original

7 replies

It’s firmware is likely S1 App compatible as it’s been a while since you last used the speaker, so I would ensure you use the older S1 App and then if you get it up and running, use the upgrade wizard in S1 to then update the speaker to S2 firmware - it will download the S2 App for you during the upgrade if you decide to do that switch.

See this LINK for the Sonos Apps.

I factory reset the speaker and the S1 app was discovered. The app informed me that the firmware was S2 compatible so now im trying to set it up through there again.

S2 Cannot find the speaker now. Factory resetting again

S2 Cannot find the speaker now. Factory resetting again

Will it not let you install it to S1 first and then upgrade it to S2 afterwards? - my thoughts are it’s not been used for such a long time, that it needs updating after installing to S1 …and then go onto upgrade it to S2 afterwards when the update has been completed🤔?

I think it had the S2 config on there - the S1 app prompted me to use the S2 app to downgrade. I haven’t got an update yet. WIll give it another shot tonight. 

Thanks for the convo Ken

If the problem persists them you might need to check the following - makes sure the mobile device being used for setup meets these requirements:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

Do not use the PC/Mac App to setup your speaker.

The router WiFi needs to be 802.11b/g/n compatible and use security mode WPA2 personal. 

If relevant, I would also switch off QoS/Airtime Fairness on the router.

If the issue persists then I would speak with Sonos Support Staff who can be contacted via this LINK.

HTH

Successful steps were:

• Factory reset while connected via ethernet cable to the router
  • Follow prompts to setup device - I had to do this multiple times until it successfully found and added the device to the point where I could play music

I wanted to move it to my office:

• unplugged speaker and moved locations
  • Plugged back in
  • The S2 app, where the speaker was already registered, could not find the system. It prompted to “Fix this”
  • After 5 attempts to “fix this” I was able to add the speaker to the wireless network through the prompts

I was about to reset the router but it connected with enough iterations through the “Fix this” process. I did not reset my router to get this working. YMMV

Thanks Ken for thinking this out with me and providing ideas! Take care