Answered

Play 3 update issues

I have 3 play:3’s which up until recently have been operating under the S2 app. 
recently they all required update but all give error 30 after the initial update has completed and the app is resetting the play:3. 
I have tried all the recommended solutions through to connecting the play:3 direct to both my router and my Boost (effectively the same thing). Also performing a factory reset hasn’t made any improvement. 
This led me to trying to downgrade back to s1, but the downgrade also failed with the same error. 
getting a little frustrated now… can anyone help me please???

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 June 2023, 10:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Perhaps restart your router first and then see if this Sonos support link for error 30 might assist you to resolve the matter…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/error-30-when-updating-sonos

You perhaps could also try a different DNS in your router configuration, such as the Google or Cloudflare public DNS servers.

Thanks Ken. 
I have tried the different DNS. But no change. 
I will try the router reset next. 

I’d also, at least temporarily, pull the BOOST out of the equation, and wire one of the PLAY:3s to the router directly, but unplugging the BOOST, so there is no possibility of ‘confusion’. 

I was under the impression that you were not able to go back to S1 without already having an S1 device. If you’ve updated everything to S2, there is no going back. 

If memory serves, error 30 suggests a timeout/failure to reach the update servers, so you may also want to double check for VPNs, virus protection, or port blocking software. 

For what it’s worth, I’ve had zero difficulty running and updating a stereo pair of PLAY:3s.

Thanks Ken. 
I have tried the different DNS. But no change. 
I will try the router reset next. 

I would maybe also try updating the speakers one at a time leaving the other two powered off during each update. It may help to identify which particular speaker is causing you the problem.

Great advice Bruce and Ken. Thanks!

Bruce- I agree that this does seem to be some sort of timeout issue. 
do you know an address for the update servers that I could add to my routers white list?

thanks again guys!

Not offhand, no, sorry. I’d at least temporarily turn off that function to filter as a test, and see if the error disappears. Once you’ve successfully updated, you could turn it back on until someone with more knowledge as to the specifics replies. 

Ok. Thanks Bruce

Great advice Bruce and Ken. Thanks!

Bruce- I agree that this does seem to be some sort of timeout issue. 
do you know an address for the update servers that I could add to my routers white list?

thanks again guys!

I think the servers are:

• update.sonos.com
  • update-firmware.sonos.com

so maybe try whitelisting those.

And, a quick Google search turned up this:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/configure-your-firewall-to-work-with-sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SteveB1973 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

You’ve received some excellent advice so far, but if you are still struggling with this update issue, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.